• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What was the first song you ever heard on vintage gear?

gigidy5

Mission Hill!
What was the first song you ever heard on vintage gear?

Mine was a Jimmy Dean - Big John vinyl on L100 Centuries. Its what got me running. To this day if I ever think of that song, at all, I get violent goosebumbs and my hair stands on end for the next hour or so. Even now I can think about all of the smells and atmospheres that were present(no sight my eyes were jammed shut). Theres nothing I enjoy more than the smell of good ol' vintage JBL's. The turntable is long gone. And the receiver is too. I've yet to get another TT but I still have the record, as well as the next song Cajun Queen. One of the amazing things about Big john to me is when the people sing chorus the bass is natural and awesome, another is that there is a noise that is played throughout the song that sounds like a pickax hitting rock and when it hits it sends chills through my whole my body. My daddy is a hillbilly from app-a-latch-eee-a when it comes to music. He was born in a place called Logalley West Virginia. The town is now inside of the mine it was run on all those years ago.



Ok now I'm done Tell us!

Stories are good:thmbsp:
 
Register to hide this ad
Same here...But Jimmy Dean--Big Bad John -- does sound good , then and now. Jimmy Buffets rendition of "The stars fell on Alabama " aint to shabby either.
 
PT-109 the first "New release" movie my father took me to see.
 
can't quite remember, probably something little river band, seven years ago, on a 20 watt mid '70s NIKKO receiver, 5055 was the model number as i recall. started the whole Hi-Fi bug!:music:
 
The vast majority of vinyl in the house when I was just getting into music in the late 50's were Chet Atkins albums.

I remember my dad playing 'Oh By Jingo!' and the 'Third Man Theme' on a VERY regular basis. Most likely one of those tunes.

The really nice part is that my parents gave me their entire vinyl collection for Christmas last year. Off hand, I'd say there were about 25 to 30 Chet Atkins albums in there. Plus, another 15 Roger Williams albums from my mother.

I think I counted a little over 200 albums, and about another 100 45's.

. . Falcon
 
That's an easy one to answer. It was the Sgt. Pepper's album on my buddies brand new SX-1250 receiver with some Sennheiser HD-414 headphones. I was blown away by the sound and now have my own SX-1250 and listen to that album a lot on my HD-650 headphones. I wish I knew where he was so I could thank him.
 
gee's I'm lucky to remember what my name was back then.

Does 6 transistor radios in the strawberry fields every summer since I was 5 count? The Beatles hadn't quite made it to US radio yet So your guess is as good as mine.

The earliest Albums I remember were my moms I know one was a Ricky Nelson and one was a Roger Miller But I also know that was later then the exposure to music in the fields picking crops ever summer.
 
The first music I remember listening to on "vintage" gear was, "Sing Along with Mitch (Miller)" on my fathers Stromberg Carlson AM/Record player console (mono) in our living room somewhere around 1962. :)
 
It must have been some big band stuff when I was a wee lad in the mid 60's on my Grandpa's Pilot console which is playing in the dining room right now:music:

Craig
 
Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky are my Mom's favorites. My younger brother would crank those on my dads' Pioneers so loud as to cause hearing damage. Black Sabbath was the back-up band. Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton and Room Full of Blues have infested her library in recent years.

Sadly, my younger brother has gone to the dark side, he has a pair of JBL 100's sitting in his garage, unused. He gave up music for laziness. I culled his blues and jazz vinyl recently so at least someone can listen to a collection that got me started in the stuff I listen to 20 years later.
 
4 Tops-I Can't Help Myself. Fall, '65, freshman yr. of college. On a Dual 1009 through a Fisher receiver and out to the munster Lafayette/Criterions in the college dorm common room. Can't remember the Fisher model. Another guy & I bought the system for the dorm. Of course, I picked the receiver & TT...and DJ'd the first mixer. By homecoming that year, the speakers had blown out. By December, I had flunked out.
 
Well, let's see... there was this couple by the name of Adam & Eve and I seem to remember a harp...

But I was only two at the time. :)

Scott
 
gigidy5: I don't think you understand the impact of asking a group of people who are largely well over 40 years old (and "vintage" themselves) about the first song they heard on vintage equipment. To be honest, that song goes so far back for me that a good deal of the equipment you're referring to hadn't even been built yet.

The first song I ever remember hearing, was Roy Acuff singing "Wabash Cannon Ball" through my Grandmother's RCA Magic Eye radio, opening the Grand Old Opry one long ago Saturday night. I guess that kinda qualifies as vintage.
 
The first song I remember hearing was Sixteen Tons, by Tennessee Ernie Ford. This was probably early 60's while at my uncle's house. His system consisted of a Fisher receiver, Garrard Lab 40, and tri-ax, 12", University speakers in large floor standing cabinets. This got me interested in audio, I was 10 or 11 at that time.
 
Back
Top Bottom