• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What was your first "real" stereo system?

First System: BOTL Lloyd's AM/FM 8-track Tape Player with "air suspension speakers."

First Real System: KLH Receiver, Thorens TD-165 Turntable, and ADC speakers. I think my sister still has the speakers.
 
I headed off to the dorm with a Pioneer SA 6500 II integrated amp . . .

I wasn't headed to a dorm, but that Pioneer model was my first "real" amplifier, too. Along with it, I had a BIC 960 turntable and EPI 100 bookshelf speakers, all purchased, if I recall correctly, from a local discount store called Jafco.
 
Iwakuni Japan- 1980-Sansui aud11, Pioneer HPM1100 speakers the first self powered subs I had ever seen[kenwood] DENON dp60l ,teac c3rx tape deck,Dbx 224 encoder decoder,dbx 3bx,......yes-it rocked.
 
My first decent stereo I bought when I was in college, probably around 1972 or 73. Sony 7065 receiver, Wharfdale W70d speakers, a PE turntable of some kind and a Pickerring XV-15 cartridge. Bought from a store in Bowling Green Ky in the same shopping center as Headquarters. Looking back I had some good advice from someone at that independent electronics store.
 
1984 JVC Stereo Receiver and Turntable and Speakers. It sounded really good. Got replaced by a NAD 10 years later. Then 20 years later (this year) got replaced by a 1970 something Marantz.:banana:
 
Fisher 400 receiver purchased for $35.00 from my friends dad's yard sale, JBL Lancer 33's and a Phillips 212 turntable purchased from Arnie Johnson at TruSound in San Jose, CA. This was all in the very early 80's. Arnie was a friend I met when I was four years old and I owe a large part of my interest in hi-fi to him. Heard Bozak Concert Grands for the first and only time in his last store. May he rest in peace. I had this system for over 10 years with no changes except new styli for the turntable and then the tech at the Analog Room went through the Fisher once in the mid 90's. I was in my early 20's when I bought it. My dad has the lancer 33's in his garage. I foolishly traded the Fisher 400 and we loaned the Philips to someone my wife worked with and lost track of it.
 
1982

JVC
R-S33 receiver.
QL-A5 turntable w/Grado FE3+ cart.
SK-303 speakers.

Sharp
RT-10 cassette deck.

Rome
 
Last edited:
1975 and I was an E-3(HM) in the NAVY living in the barracks. Had a pair of KOSS Pro-4A's that I used on a Silvertone Stereo radio. The radio crapped out, so I went to Pacific Stereo and got a PIONEER SX-434, a pair of Marantz 4G bookshelf speakers, and a upper mid line BSR Changer. Used the headphones more than the speakers. 39 years later and I still have the SX-434, and retired the PRO-4A's earlier this year. I rebuilt the 434 a couple of years ago and immediately put it in sealed doubled plastic bags with enough silica gel to dry out a full swimming pool. My Grand-daughter will get it for her 16th Birthday with some GOOD speakers, CD player, R2R deck, cassette deck, tape source switch box, and a Turntable that's a lot better than the BSR. Right now she's using one of my KLH-20's and enjoying the hell out of DISNEY records that Pop buys and cleans for her. Between her and her Younger Brother that KLH is getting a lot of run time. She's 3-1/2 and he's 2 years. And they only operate the KLH when Mom, Dad, Grandma Dee-Dee, or myself is around to supervise. They actually do pretty good with it (Record Changer). I've got plenty of stylus' for the Pickering V-15 so no problem there (they haven't busted one yet. )

My current setup is one of the consoles or separates in my signature.
 
I guess my first "real" system is the one I currently have. I just checked and saw that I bought my Harman/Kardon PM660 almost exactly a year ago. I had some money saved up and very quickly added in a Uturn Orbit, original Smaller Advents and my Pioneer Tuner. While at college, I've been picking up vinyl when I have the money.
 
Frazier MK 5 speakers , Sansui 7070 receiver , Dual 1249 TT & Shure V15 type 3
Purchased it new in 1975 worked all summer to earn the money . Many hours of enjoyment .
 
It was a JVC all in one unit although with separate speakers. Had Radio, cd player and dual tape deck. A great little unit at the time. After a number of years use it developed that rattle in the speakers that speakers get when they've been abused too long. Too much Nirvana and The Offspring played too loud for too long ;)

I saved up for that stereo for over a year. I imagine it probably would have sounded pretty aweful compared to my current setups though it was great at the time :D
 
my first receiver i bought was a used realistic sta-90, a new sanyo cassette deck with amss (big deal at the time), a set of mc-1201 speakers (new), my first system bought new was a shack sta-2280, lab-1500 linear tracking TT, and a set of t-120 speakers, still own the TT and the receiver..........:smoke:
 
Last edited:
Mid-70's, a best friend's father had a little woodworking "shop" in his basement. He made good money with GTE/Sylvania, while my grandparents at the time didn't make a lot. I used to hang at my bud's place and we'd dig stuff like Camel, Triumvirat, Rush, and Gentle Giant on his stereo.

One day out of the blue, his dad said he was going to surprise me with a gift, but it would take a couple weeks. :eek: He made a really nice case for a receiver, even the faceplate was mahogany-covered and he removed the rear logos so I didn't know the brand/model, and re-veneered the speakers so they no longer had the rear or grill logos either (small 8" 2-ways). It all looked like a custom set. When it was done, he gave me those and a Pioneer TT, and later I scrounged up enough to buy some Koss Pro/4AAA cans.

I never did figure out what the receiver and speakers were (probably Pioneer or Lafayette), but I rocked the hell outta them. I only had a few records - Sabbath's 1st album, Zep I, II, & III, and The Yes Album & Close to the Edge. Needless to say I knew every word and note on those. lol
 
Last edited:
Sabbath's first album, one of my favorites to this day. We used to play it in art class when it first came out in '72 (maybe '73) on a mono record player belonging to the school. What an impression that record made on me!
 
Sabbath's first album, one of my favorites to this day. We used to play it in art class when it first came out in '72 (maybe '73) on a mono record player belonging to the school. What an impression that record made on me!

Yeah! It freaked me out when I first heard it! :para:


Black_Sabbath_debut_album.jpg
 
I bought my first when I was in college...with money I made from working a summer job. It was was in 1974...and there were more places to buy components than I had money to spend. I remember going from one to the other....I finally ended up at American TV....where they had walls and walls of receivers, amps, tape decks, and speakers. I chose the speakers first....a pair of BIC Formula 2s, with burnt orange sponge grilles. After that...it was pretty much whatever the rest of my $400 would buy. I ended up with a Sony STR7015 receiver and a Pioneer PL10 TT with the ubiquitous Shure M91ED cart. I loved that system...sounded great with the music I played back then....which is surprisingly similiar to the music I listen to now.....
I found a pair of the BIC Formula 2s in a thrift store a few months back....and for $35 how could I not buy them? Someday I'll find the STR7015 and the PL10....and then marvel at how astute my choices were....or be astounded as to my lack of taste...
 
Back
Top Bottom