• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What were the first 5 songs you played on your speakers?

Romeo Wolf

Super Member
Doing this cause I'm sorta bored and wanted to have some fun. Anyway, what were the 5 songs you first played on your speaker(s)? (First, recent, previous, whenever you bought them. Also, what were they?) Or plan to play on them?

I'll go first, and plan to play them when I build my Bluetooth "Behemoth" sometime in the future.

1. Darimu - Futari
2. London Calling - The Clash
3. LaRue - Curtis Counce
4. Morning Mood - Peer Gynt (Czech National Symphony Orchestra)
5. Monster Mash - Bobby Picket (1962)
BONUS: Tubular Bells pt | - Mike Oldfield

Btw It's okay if you don't know what song(s) you played or want to play.

Anyway, there's my list. Now it's your turn! What songs do you have in mind?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I can't be 100% sure what the first 5 songs I played on my current speakers were, but I suspect that at least some of these were among them:

Foo Fighters - Everlong
Nine Inch Nails - Where is Everybody? (remix, Things Falling Apart album)
Lorn - Acid Rain
The Pretty Reckless - House on a Hill
Queens of the Stone Age - Make it Wit' Chu
Headphone Activist - Ocean Floors
Bonobo - Kiara
G-Eazy - I Mean It
Foo Fighters - The Sky is a Neighborhood
Queens of the Stone Age - How to Handle a Rope
 
From my most recent speaker purchase in 2012:

1. Coasting from the album Bug Alley by Gary Hoey.
2. I don't remember.
3. I don't remember.
4. I don't remember.
5. I don't remember.

I remember #1 because it was in heavy personal rotation at the time, and I remember being pleased that it sounded good on the new speakers.
 
First 5 songs on my "demo" playlist (just ran thru these the other day on my newly refoamed Smaller Advents)

1. Do it again - Steely Dan
2. Peg - Steely Dan
3. Tuesday heartbreak - Stevie Wonder
4. Higher ground - Stevie Wonder
5. Old man - Neil Young
 
My "first" real speakers were part of a small system purchase @ a small, private audio shop @ Chicago's South Side, circa late December 1966. It is quite possible that the first five numbers that came outta that pair were the first five numbers of the first LP my brother and I purchased about a week later, i.e., Side One, Tracks 1-5, The Doors (Elektra, 1967). In order:

1. Break On Through
2. Soul Kitchen
3. The Crystal Ship
4. Twentieth Century Fox
5. Alabama Song

Thus the sixth number through the "system" would have been the last track @ S1, i.e., "Light My Fire".

Then it was on to Side 2.
 
I usually play Pinback Blue Screen Life when I get a new set of speakers so I'm pretty sure that's it.
 
Current speakers or the very first speakers. the very first it was the first movement of Beethovens 5th, second was a Felix Slatkin album called marching the blues, some Glenn miller, and Tommy Dorsey with Frank Sinatra.

The current system in the HT mode was Ben Hur, Dr Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, In the stereo mode its was probably the third movement of Holst's First Suite in Eb, the March on Telarc with the Cincinnati Winds. Then some Cincinnatti Pop Orchestra on Telarc, followed by some Chanticleer, and then Basie. But the order might be a little off. Lets see then some E power Biggs or Michael Murray playing Pipe organ. There is a Laser disc of Buddy Rich in San Francisco, I always play. I have done it so many times, with each update or reconfiguration its hard to be sure. in the past 56 years.

When I first started it seems after the first year there were changes every time the opportunity came along. From Scott, to Fisher, to Mcintosh, to bigger and bigger speakers and bigger and bigger amps. Then. came the switch to Solid state in stages, then came bi-amping tri - amping, switch to Crown amps, adding Room voicing, CD's, using the Sound System with Laser discs, up grading the stereo system, back to Mac amps then HT systems with DVD's and adding the Plasma and more up grades adding more amps changing processors, etc etc. Every change making the system new again. Changing from Stanton/Shure cartridges, to Dynavector was a very big change, just like when I finally gave up on Ortofon and went with Stanton 981 for a long time. Some where in their All the analog tape machines were retired and CD and DVD recorders were added. in 2009 Apple computer and Apple TV entered the picture. The last big change was changing over to Blu-ray, HDMI and adding big new processor with Room perfect. Almost like getting an entirely new system. Programming the HT processor brought back the memories of struggling with B&K HT processors. Mcintosh is so much more simple and satisfying. Yamaha is the champ when it comes to different HT modes and getting them sounding right for a customer who doesn't want to be bothered with the initial set up can be a chore. Though Denon, Marantz, and Sony aren't to far behind. A little change was adding and iPhone to the mix and getting the sound straightened out. Whats next, a dedicated amp and speakers for an All Mcintosh system using either stacked ML series or XR series, or a pair of XR or XRT line arrays. If I win the lottery I want to try big Magico for HT or big JBL DD series for HT.

I haven't changed TT in over 45 years. Something I used to do at the drop of a hat. Maybe I'll get that model 15 A or Synergy from SME. But I would love to have a model 20 with a 12 inch arm. But as I like linear arms, maybe a Bergmann table or a Clear audio Innovation with linear arms.
 
Last edited:
Actually easy for me to know. I have playlist called "Test Music" on Tidal that I use to demo any new equipment added to my rig.

This is the first five from the playlist .. first two test bass .. third horns … four & five vocal harmony/contrast quality. A good test is when 4 & 5 gives me chills.

1. Cat People (putting out the fire) .. from the movie Cat People soundtrack.
2. Rain (Madonna) .. from Something to remember.
3. So What (Miles Davis) from Kind of Blue
4. Hallelujah (Pentatonx) .. an old Leonard Coen song.
5. Spanish Johnny (Emmylou Harris & Waylon Jennings) from Harris Evangeline album.

 
Last edited:
I don't recall the first track I played when I acquired the MA-S6, much less the first five, but some of the likely contenders would've been:

Chattanooga Choo-Choo - Glenn Miller Orchestra's Digital Mood
I.G.Y. or Morph the Cat - Donald Fagen
Bach's Harpsichord Concerto In D Minor
The Cylinder
- Modern Jazz Quartet
Worrisome Heart - Melody Gardot
Journey from Mariabronn - Kansas
Kansas City Southern - Pure Prairie League
Fire On the Mountain - Marshall Tucker Band
Blue - Barry Manilow & Sarah Vaughn
All Day Music - War
People Get Ready - Phoebe Snow (Ladysmith Black Mambazo)

This Could Go On For Hours - I Said Dat
 
Last edited:
The first five tracks from my homemade list I use for auditioning new equipment:

1. L.A. Underground (Lee Ritenour & Larry Carlton) 5:48
2. Billie Jean (Michael Jackson) 4:54
3. Keith Don't Go (Nils Lofgren) 6:50
4. Thanks To You (Boz Scaggs) 6:01
5. True Love Ways (Buddy Holly) 3:00
 
I can't begin to remember. That was the spring of 1983. But I still have the same speakers today, and they still get used every day.
Today was:
The Original Animals, "Before We Were So Rudely Interrupted" (Repertoire 2008 remaster cd), and
Santana III (MFSL SACD remaster cd).
(complete albums)

Cheers,
James
 
The one that immediately comes to mind, when ascertaining Bass is

"School Days" - Stanley Clarke

Another, not for bass, just in general

Is "Let it Bleed" - The Stones
 
That would have been back in the '70's with a side of LSD, so (and don't quote me) ...

- In A Gadda Da Vida
- In A Gadda Da Vida
- In A Gadda Da Vida
- In A Gadda Da Vida
- In A Gadda Da Vida
 
Well, I probably can't say for sure, but pretty sure some of these were in the mix. Kind of a list of "test" material.

Pink Floyd - DSOTM (duh...) and The Wall
Telarc 1812 Overture
E. Powers Briggs - Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and Passacaglia in C Minor
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Vivaldi - Four Seasons
Rush - Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Passage to Bangkok
Led Zeppelin II
Jethro Tull - Aqualung and M.U.

Typically some or all of those get played when new or modified gear comes into the systems.
 
If yer looking for tasty test tracks, Satriani's Strange Beautiful Music is a good un ... exceptional staging on that.
 
Uh the ones that were before #6?

I really don't know....I was just trying to keep the chickens out of the room.

Huh

Cheers
Mister Pig
Really? Who knows. I bought these speakers about 7 years ago. Now i can tell you what songs I first recorded on my DAT machine in 1991, because i still have the tape and it's written down.
 
I know that when I finally scored my KEF Reference Model Threes,I was in a real party mood by the time we made it back.My buddy and I did a many-hour road trip to pick them up,so I was rarin' to blast some tunes. I believe it went something like this...

Atlanta Rhythm Section-Imaginary Lover
Gladys Knight and The Pips-Imagination (entire album)
Aretha Frankin-The Weight
Stevie Wonder-Superstition
Dire Straits-Dire Straits (entire album)

And carried on from there.....still going.....
 
Back
Top Bottom