• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What would you recommend to a young person interested in a new stereo?

Doesn't change the fact the OP was asking about setting up a vinyl rig for someone looking for one, or is this a virtual vinyl rig you have in mind lol.

If they asked for recommendations for a car would you suggest one of these lol? Sure they both provide transportation but it's not what was wanted.

View attachment 1299289
True...

I guess $50 for an old Technics or Pioneer Turntable couldn't hurt....
 
I believe the OP asked about someone seeking a vinyl rig, why are so many completely ignoring this lol?

It doesn't have to be vinyl, that just seems to be popular among the young folks and can be an entry into hifi for them. Since so many of them stream their music maybe I should have just said beginning stereo. But, l'm loving the conversation and learning a lot so let's keep it going.
 
I recently posted a great deal on a great deck in another thread, the fact it has a working original dust cover is remarkable, the plastic hinges usually fail long ago. The cover was designed to allow close placement to the wall, it works but was not envisioned to last 40yrs lol. I already have one with a Grace G707 arm or I would offer $350 and see if he takes it, the BIN is $450 so most likely somewhere in the middle. Many don't believe I find these tables at these prices but great deals are out there if patient. This one is available right now with an Audio Technica arm, no affiliation.

View attachment 1299226 View attachment 1299227 View attachment 1299228 View attachment 1299229

Nice looking TT.
 
When I was younger I wasn't especially concerned with quality of sound, I only wanted my system to crank. It also had to be cheap as I didn't have a grand kicking around for stereo gear.

So with that in mind, I would recommend they get a 2channel receiver with at least 50wpc and some speakers that have 12" woofers or better. I'm thinking a late 80's early 90's Onkyo, Sony, or Yamaha. That BPC usually works and is cheap. The speakers should be fairly efficient for maximum crankage. The speakers should also be cheap and easy to replace because they will be driven into clipping and will blow. For the turntable, some kind of semi auto belt drive from whatever brand (Technics, Sony, pioneer, toshiba, etc.). They are cheap, readily available and easy to maintain.

I would also recommend they get a RCA to 3.5 mm stereo cable or a Bluetooth receiver so they can use their phone as a source.
 
I'd suggest a receiver from the early 1990s-- just before everything turned into half-assed AVRs but well past silver era. You'll get a phono input, you might get a remote control, and the caps won't need replacement just yet. I had a Pioneer VSX-305, but there are doubtless better choices.

Pair it with some inexpensive floor-standing speakers for roughly the cost of petrol to collect them. (I'm convinced an endless stream of large-but-mediocre Fisher floor-standing speakers will magically germinate inside a Goodwill without anyone actually having to supply them)

Get them a cord so they can run their PC, TV, or phone out to it. That way, it can get used, rather than just being an "event" thing.

You'll be out less than $50, and they'll be on the ground floor. It will still be dramatically better than in-TV, Bluetooth, or $1.99 USB-powered PC speakers, and they can also get the learning experience of "OMG I blew my amp/speakers" without it being a financial disaster.. If they're enjoying the experience, then begin to lead them to better components, add a turntable or cassette deck, show them that you can get used CDs for less than buying two tracks off iTunes/AmazonMP3...
 
Yes, then as an example he posted a "vinyl" rig including a "TT" lol, or did you miss that.

Probably an SL1200mk2 TT (if you really want vinyl), a high quality CD player and integrated, high powered Japanese amplifier, along with a nice pair of medium sized bookshelf speakers that can be standmounted.

Nope, I don't miss much at all, but it sure looks like you did... :)
 
I would start with one of these. ( I gifted two of these to my kids last year and they love them)

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...ier-with-bluetooth-and-power-supply--300-3830

Add these.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...kshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651

And if they still insist on getting into vinyl add one these with your turntable of choice.


https://www.parts-express.com/pyle-...-preamp-with-9v-battery-compartment--248-4762

Grand total about $140 minus the cost of whatever turntable they use.

Kids love Bluetooth connectivity.
 
As much as I love vintage gear, I rarely recommend it to someone just getting into the hobby. The potential for disappointment from a failed piece of gear is just too great and could "turn off" someone just starting out. Once the passion is developed the patience to tolerate a disfunctional piece of vintage gear is much greater.

I am not associated or affiliated with Crutchfield beyond being a satisfied customer for over 20 years. Below are a few examples that would make a great starter system that should sound fairly decent and cover all the bases. Tuner, turntable, Bluetooth, 100wpc, compact speakers all for $500.
I'm certain there are many other options for equipment brand and choice of retailer but this is a good example of a modern system with a warranty for a reasonable budget.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_057LP60BKB/Audio-Technica-AT-LP60-BT-Black.html?tp=75887

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TSI200B/Polk-Audio-TSi200-Black.html
 
Last edited:
As much as I love vintage gear, I rarely recommend it to someone just getting into the hobby. The potential for disappointment from a failed piece of gear is just too great and could "turn off" someone just starting out. Once the passion is developed the patience to tolerate a disfunctional piece of vintage gear is much greater.

I am not associated or affiliated with Crutchfield beyond being a satisfied customer for over 20 years. Below are a few examples that would make a great starter system that should sound fairly decent and cover all the bases. Tuner, turntable, Bluetooth, 100wpc, compact speakers all for $500.
I'm certain there are many other options for equipment brand and choice of retailer but this is a good example of a modern system with a warranty for a reasonable budget.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_057LP60BKB/Audio-Technica-AT-LP60-BT-Black.html?tp=75887

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TSI200B/Polk-Audio-TSi200-Black.html
Excellent picks. For starters, I'd recommend stuff in that vein.
 
As much as I love vintage gear, I rarely recommend it to someone just getting into the hobby. The potential for disappointment from a failed piece of gear is just too great and could "turn off" someone just starting out. Once the passion is developed the patience to tolerate a disfunctional piece of vintage gear is much greater.

I am not associated or affiliated with Crutchfield beyond being a satisfied customer for over 20 years. Below are a few examples that would make a great starter system that should sound fairly decent and cover all the bases. Tuner, turntable, Bluetooth, 100wpc, compact speakers all for $500.
I'm certain there are many other options for equipment brand and choice of retailer but this is a good example of a modern system with a warranty for a reasonable budget.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_057LP60BKB/Audio-Technica-AT-LP60-BT-Black.html?tp=75887

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TSI200B/Polk-Audio-TSi200-Black.html

Same here. Unless it's something I've gone through and have some time with to work the kinks out I always recommend new.

I'd pretty much recommend the exact setup you've got listed right there. You've got vinyl for the cool factor, Bluetooth because that's likely what will be used the most, free shipping to their house and a warranty if anything goes wrong.
 
Same here. Unless it's something I've gone through and have some time with to work the kinks out I always recommend new.

I'd pretty much recommend the exact setup you've got listed right there. You've got vinyl for the cool factor, Bluetooth because that's likely what will be used the most, free shipping to their house and a warranty if anything goes wrong.

Nice!
 
a young person,who was gifted about 50 LPs,wanted a very small footprint system & didn't want vintage...had to be new & under $500,also she didn't need to play her LPs loud...just enjoyable...when we put together this system for $400...it has the ability to copy LPs to a computer & has BT...sound quality blew me away & she is happy with it for about 6 months now...Music Hall USB 1 TT...$200...AudioEngine 2A+ powered speakers...TT has built in Phono stage & comes with AT 3600L cart. .total $400 AudioEngine 2A+ $200 sale price no BT...I meant DAC
 
Last edited:
a young person,who was gifted about 50 LPs,wanted a very small footprint system & didn't want vintage...had to be new & under $500,also she didn't need to play her LPs loud...just enjoyable...when we put together this system for $400...it has the ability to copy LPs to a computer & has BT...sound quality blew me away & she is happy with it for about 6 months now...Music Hall USB 1 TT...$200...AudioEngine 2A+ powered speakers...TT has built in Phono stage & comes with AT 3600L cart. .total $400 AudioEngine 2A+ $200 sale price

I must admit, that looks like a fabulous, neat little system and if chit like that had been around in 1980, I may have saved up for one myself.

Great suggestion IMO.
 
Depends upon the budget. New I'd recommend a NAD D3020 and a pair of Tektons. Forget about a turntable and all that; for young folks digital sources are the way to go. Building a decent vinyl collection costs way more than streaming.

Edit: looks like NAD pulled the usb on the v2 so I cannot recommend it anymore. Teac AI-301da or Sprout 100 instead. Jeez what the hell was NAD thinking to delete the usb input they nerfed the amp!
 
Last edited:
You know, it is funny. I hear so much about how unreliable vintage gear is, but the majority of problems I find is crackly controls, one side that is out, or blown fuses. I fix the majority of what I get myself, and most of the time, deoxit or a replacement fuse fixes them up. I clean all the dust out of the unit, clean the cabinet, front panel, and knobs, and they look 8/10 or higher! You just have to be smart about what you pick. Make sure it works, and no bizarre problem that jumps out at you as not being fixed by a good cleaning, deoxit, and fuses. A person should be able to get decent sound for under $100 if you aren’t picky about cosmetics. And then, you can upgrade components as your interest grows. You should be able to get a good sounding setup if you shop carefully for about $250! At $400 and up, you should be able to get great sound. Pick good reliable speakers with rubber surrounds, unknown name brands that you can hear, but sell for much lower prices of the brand name. Sears, MCS, older Lafayette, Yamaha, Kenwood, Sony, Tamon, Speakers made locally using quality components, Realistic, Radio Shack, Hitachi, Toshiba, Nikko, Sharp, Fisher, especially mid 80s and newer! This is great entry level gear that won’t cause you to shed tears when it fails. Just beware of gear affected by those failure prone caps from the 90s. Easy fix if you are handy and you got it for free.

I have turned on many kids to stereo systems, and I saw many younger people last year when I was selling a collection. I am constantly surprised at their knowledge of music from my years. And there are a bunch that are into boom boxes! Imagine the cool factor of making their own tapes from a decent vintage system! (Edited) For cassette decks, I would recommend a newer Denon or Yamaha deck.
 
Last edited:
Depends upon the budget. New I'd recommend a NAD D3020 and a pair of Tektons. Forget about a turntable and all that; for young folks digital sources are the way to go. Building a decent vinyl collection costs way more than streaming.

Edit: looks like NAD pulled the usb on the v2 so I cannot recommend it anymore. Teac AI-301da or Sprout 100 instead. Jeez what the hell was NAD thinking to delete the usb input they nerfed the amp!
they took out the USB & added a phono stage
 
Buy the best and the latest that you can afford and let them age into vintage gracefully! :)

I stop at the vinyl store a few times a week. Look for deals & BS with others who or may not be audiophiles. It is fun to see teenagers buying vinyl. Mostly girls. They do look for older artists works. Carol King to John Denver. I have seen enough. Sometimes I will ask em. "have you ever heard of Miles Davis"???
 
Back
Top Bottom