• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What would you recommend to a young person interested in a new stereo?

Stay away from anything that can be rendered obsolete or useless due to lack of firmware updates.
All of my old gear is not affected by software, or internet connectivity, yada yada.
 
Stay away from anything that can be rendered obsolete or useless due to lack of firmware updates.
All of my old gear is not affected by software, or internet connectivity, yada yada.

Good advice if you can follow it. If you can’t, try not to spend much money on it. Unless you are confident the company will be around, and they have a record of releasing new updates well after the warranty has expired. I have an HP Smart TV, and I had their media vault, and the media vault and the TVs smarts were rendered useless shortly after the second year after the products last release was over. They basically supported it one year after the warranty of the last unit expired, and it wasn’t long after that they were both useless. I still use the tv, but it is no longer smart. The media vault went to the recyclers, and I’m now using a QNAP NAS, and support is still ongoing for even their older products. Great units, by the way!
 
Last edited:
I would say get them something vintage that is quality built so they can recognize value and repair-ability, but low enough that they work hard and strive to acquire what is great. And add a RCA to 1/8 plug so they can connect whatever modern day gadget they have.
 
I wanna know where everyone is finding these SL1200 MK2's for under $500. I've seen exactly one on my local CL for $375. I mean, I'm pretty happy with my QD33, but it'd be nice to have the option...

Not the Technics, but actually a table I would rather have I've posted on another thread. This just sold on eBay for a great price, especially considering it has a working dust cover, most the hinges have given out. I posted it with 4hrs still remaining, hopefully a member here snagged it. But this shows good deals on great decks are still out there if looking. The shipping quote is of course to my address, it could have been less if closer, I happen to be rather distant at 2500 miles away lol.

Screenshot_20181021-210728.png
 
I am surprised that no one seems to be suggesting the classical college dorm outfits - Advent 300,Sony STR-V2, Sherwood S7100A, Lafayette LR1500TA, etc for receiver, one of the many CEC made turntables (the AR is now too expensive to buy) or low mid-range Japanese table, driving Advent, Dynaco A25, EPI 100, or similar speakers. I have set up several former students or young family members with outfits like these, to good effect.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom