• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's a cool looking receiver?

JulieGirl

Active Member
I really really really really really like the Sansui 8080. It looks so cool I can't even tell you.

Do you know of another receiver that has a bunch of knobs and some dials.
I really like my receiver (STA-2300 Realistic), but it doesn't have needles/meters on it.

Is there another receiver that looks cool or spaceage or weird or something?!
I know...shiny things...call me shallow.

Thanks. I'll I'll refrain from posting for a long time after this question (unless I can help someone haha).
 
Register to hide this ad
A lot to be said for the design of an object and aesthetic appeal, especially when that object sounds as good as an 8080 or 9090.

I've always like the looks of the McIntosh 1900, especially in the slant-leg cabinet. And the Tandberg receivers are really good looking, too.

I think there may be a thread titled "best looking" or "most attractive" receivers? I'll try to find it. . .

EDIT: Yep, melofelo got it.
 
Find you a Realistic STA2000 or STA2100. It's your receiver... with REAL METERS.

If you can find one (and once you find it, if you can afford to buy it), the Kenwood KR9600 is another in the same vein as the Sansui 8080, in lots of ways. Even has rack handles built onto the faceplate.

Space age? Technics SA1010. Got a "space expander" display, which looks akin to the intro to "The Outer Limits" TV show. :D

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I'm partial to the Sansui G-X700 line-up myself. I like the:
  • matching big knobs for volume and tuning
  • fluorescent blue seven-segment displays for the tuning readout (and that it also has a traditional analog tuning panel)
  • red LED power meters
  • brushed aluminum front panel
  • dark wood veneer cabinet
  • thick, beveled glass over the tuner readout
 
G'day all, I think the days of those receivers were the halcyon days of Hi FI. My gosh that gear just looked so good and sounded pretty good as well.

I remember that JVC made some nice receiver gear as well back then (very popular in Australia at that time). My brother in law had a great JVC system back then and it was my first real introduction to real Hi Fi!

I still remember listening to Meatloaf's 'Bat Out of Hell' on vinyl, on it and I was impressed. :D Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Last edited:
Of course, I'm partial as I still have the G-4700 I bought at the start of my senior year in high school (on September 3, 1979, to be precise). But here's a good image:

sansuig4700.jpg
 
The G-4700 is the baby of the family. I think the G-9700 was that line-up's equivalent to the 9090.
 
Here are three of my favorites for looks. They're pretty darned good performers too and won't set you back too much dough. The Hitachi's pretty rare though.

Hitachi SR-1100
hitachi_sr-1100_small.jpg


Kenwood KR-4600
P1010008.jpg


Technics SA-600
technics-sa-600_8973.jpg


John
 
Here's a picture of the one that first got me interested in hifi. Dad had it with a pair of Rectilinear III's, a Miracord record changer and a Panasonic 8-track recorder. Those speakers are long gone but the receiver now powers some Minimus 7's out by his pool.

I think he got it around 1968, probably just before Panasonic/National started using the Technics name. This one seems to be built better than the Technics units from a decade later.

image.php
 
Omg I'm in love again! ...with all of you.

I kinda love those receivers though too. I had no idea that there were other cool ones. I thought that Sansui 8080 was like the only one with pretty lights, knobs, and witches, and needle-meters.

...and I do mean the appreciation that I express to you. Really.
 
I'm going to agree with cwall. I just love Sansui design. The first vintage audio piece I acquired is a G-5700. I got it for FREE because nobody in the building I worked in claimed it. It had been back in the supply area for who knows how long..nothing hooked up to it. Just randomly sitting on a shelf. I probably walked by it a thousand times before thinking about taking it home. And yes, I asked EVERYBODY and nobody knew who owned it.

Alsoo..hey Melofelo, what TT is that in your avatar pic?
 
Kenwood KR-9600 in wood

Already mentioned, but another vote for the Kenwood KR-9600 receiver in wood sure looks sweet
 

Attachments

  • 9600...jpg
    9600...jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 126
Don't forget the Yamaha CR1020, CR2020 and of course the CR2040 (Love the Green Glow) not to mention the Sonics :^)
Regards,
Jim

Careful of the CR1040, the driver boards are Unobtainium IIRC
 
Here's a few others you might like...

scan0011.jpg

scan0012.jpg

Sherwoods.jpg

scan-2.jpg

AR-1429.jpg

AN-2016.jpg

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg


The CR-2020 might not have enough meters...

DSCN3118.jpg


It's a nice sounding piece of hardware, though.
 
Back
Top Bottom