• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's best to clean the face of a vintage receiver?

On those switches, you might consider buying a dead Technics SA-300 or SA-400 (or any in that lineup) as they have switches that are VERY similar (blade type insertion, flattened end).

I know because I had a Technics SA-400, and my friend had a Model 9 Kenwood.

Good luck!
 
So I started in on the wood, so far it's just
rough sanded with 120 grit, next I'll use 220 and then 320 before stain.
I'll be finishing with Watco Danish Oil in black walnut and rubbing it in with 0000 steel wool before finishing with a satin wax top coat.
There's a few veneer chips here and there but overall for a piece over 40 years old and what this unit has obviously been through it's coming out pretty good.
I took a damp towel and steam iron to it before sanding to raise the grain where there were dents and scratches, it pulled them all out I'm happy to say.
If you try this method be careful with veneers, too much heat and moisture can lift the veneer off the core so easy does it a little at a time.

sand.jpg
sand1.jpg
 
I worked today so not much time with it but I did stop at ACE hardware and picked up some sandable/stainable walnut wood filler and a new putty knife.
I'm pretty sure the case is walnut,the color matches well at any rate and it will be stained with Watco Danish Oil in black walnut.
I filled in some imperfections and will let it sit overnight before any sanding, this will be a sand fill and repeat operation a few times to get it right so time consuming but worth the effort I think.

005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG
 
I just spotted this post and want to compliment you on a great find and a tremendous save. Missing jumpers are easily overlooked by many, you are very lucky. Since your investment is so low at this point and it's such a nice piece adding the tech cost of a checkup/tuneup is something worth thinking about. Just a thought...maybe you should follow the good karma and pay the $25 and become a member so you can search for your knobs in Bartertown parts. Include a link to this thread and some well meaning tech might be so impressed with your recovery they will drop a couple knobs in an envelope and send them off to you no charge. Paying it forward personality types is one of the beautiful things I love about this site. Congrats again on a bonafide save.
 
I just spotted this post and want to compliment you on a great find and a tremendous save. Missing jumpers are easily overlooked by many, you are very lucky. Since your investment is so low at this point and it's such a nice piece adding the tech cost of a checkup/tuneup is something worth thinking about. Just a thought...maybe you should follow the good karma and pay the $25 and become a member so you can search for your knobs in Bartertown parts. Include a link to this thread and some well meaning tech might be so impressed with your recovery they will drop a couple knobs in an envelope and send them off to you no charge. Paying it forward personality types is one of the beautiful things I love about this site. Congrats again on a bonafide save.
Thanks and I think I'll do that. Just finished a 63 1/2 hour week at work so payday next week should look pretty good.
I'll also take it to a tech for a check up and to get all the lights working etc. There's a couple that are out and one meter that seems a little wonky but aside from that it works and sounds nice.
 
Last edited:
Hmmmmm... thats a fine looking piece of equipment!

I would use the usual method of vintage audio "artifact" recovery.

  • A good vacuuming.. to remove particulate matter and mold spores.

  • A wipe down, using cotton cloth, with alcohol.. avoiding wood finished surfaces.

  • A light application of WD-40 on cotton cloth to remove surface blemishes on the metal finish caused by oxidation.
Each time, its a good idea to test spot an area not exposed to frontal view.

The wood chassis usually cleans up with a good wood treatment restoration cleaner. The older wood cabinets over the chassis... were actually wood, back then, believe it or not!

Take your time, thorough cleaning is tedious and time consuming, but quite rewarding once new life is shown after a well thought out recovery :thumbsup:.
 
I use simple green. It has worked great and has never damaged anything and as I primary do vintage gear It gets used alot!

I'm a Dawn guy for cutting grime and grease but once, after a fire, simple green was my best friend for cleaning the greasy soot from a ton of household items including artwork.
 
Back
Top Bottom