• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's best to clean the face of a vintage receiver?

Hmmmmm... thats a fine looking piece of equipment!

I would use the usual method of vintage audio "artifact" recovery.

  • A good vacuuming.. to remove particulate matter and mold spores.

  • A wipe down, using cotton cloth, with alcohol.. avoiding wood finished surfaces.

  • A light application of WD-40 on cotton cloth to remove surface blemishes on the metal finish caused by oxidation.
Each time, its a good idea to test spot an area not exposed to frontal view.

The wood chassis usually cleans up with a good wood treatment restoration cleaner. The older wood cabinets over the chassis... were actually wood, back then, believe it or not!

Take your time, thorough cleaning is tedious and time consuming, but quite rewarding once new life is shown after a well thought out recovery :thumbsup:.

I'm a Dawn guy for cutting grime and grease but once, after a fire, simple green was my best friend for cleaning the greasy soot from a ton of household items including artwork.

Look back a couple pages guys! I've been busy! Face is clean, wood is sanded down for refinishing.IMG_2719.JPG IMG_2742.JPG IMG_2765.JPG
 
The very best product to clean almost everything is Kleen-Flo Rub'n Dri hands cleaner, In the pot it's like a soft liquid jelly.

Very soft solvent , doesn't attack acrylic or other plastics etc, but attacks grease, resin, tar, some glues and some paints.
 
Last edited:
That turned out top shelf! It will sing for along time to come. I think you will enjoy it. I know a bunch of folks have already done so watching it resurrected!
Thanks for sharing. :beerchug:
Nemo
 
That turned out top shelf! It will sing for along time to come. I think you will enjoy it. I know a bunch of folks have already done so watching it resurrected!
Thanks for sharing. :beerchug:
Nemo

Thanks, it's coming along pretty well. I still intend to take it into a tech for a few lights and a clean bill of health and anything it needs.
So far I'm in only it about $40 for cleaning and refinishing supplies and I've spent maybe 10 hours on it with a few to go yet but that's a labor of love.
I'm sure she'll pay me back many times over.
 
It's a solid piece. I think one of the best they built in the heyday. I have had one or more of the large kenny's since the beginning of my audio journey. I had admired my older brothers monster and only was able at the age of 18 to scrape enough for a
kr-8010 that if memory serves me (long time ago 1976 I think) was on sale for $299.00 but I did it.
I kept that reciever and used it up until I sold it 2 years ago for a tad more than I paid for it.
I bartered a trade deal for a kr-9600 about the same time. It had a few issues and I simply was not savvy enough so I managed to work another barter with a gentleman whom has truly forgotten more than most will ever learn.
He was the one whom rewrote service manuals on much of the gear of the day and was in constant contact with all the big players as he was one of the first to see the product for warranty issues and corrected issues that failed in real world use.
The 9600 is said to be a unicorn and that it should be avoided.
He disagrees and had mine up and running like new in a short time and I with the assurance it would be good for as many years to come as had passed.
The phono stage is excellent and has provisions for both type of carts which is a huge bonus as at the time was not common. The tuner was said to be one of the top performing also. I still have many Kenwoods from a 1968 kt-66 to my 9600 with ever changing models in between. I am also a big fan of Sansui and have had many.
I have found them in various conditions from clean enough to eat off all the way too looking as if a dirty creek has run through them forever!. I think for my tastes that the eleven is simply one of the best looking receivers of the era hands down.
I really enjoyed watching you go through your steps and that is pretty much what I try to do also.
I have hundreds of photos of saves I have been lucky enough to find and resurrect.
I am not a tech but have also been blessed to find people close that are the best and will trade gear for the work that is above my skill set. I only got into this as my trade became increasingly difficult and finally not possible as my sight is aparantly failing. Its tough to be a blind trucker..LOL! I continue to find quality vintage gear that I know well and seemingly have a nack of coming home with a high rate of success at either bringing it back to life or its already in very good shape overall other than being cast aside by a family member than didn't share there obsessive late family members zeal for that stuff:blah:.
As with every manufacturer there will always be those whom don't consider the Kenwood line to be worthy.
I can say I have had more Kenwoods receivers and amps and tuners that all it took was clean and Deoxit the pots and switches for life to return.
Most would be well within specs with no further repairs needed or recommended.
I am putting this info in here so you will see I am a 2 channel albeit obsessive limited funds audio addict in the truest sense!
I currently for my main system run a phase linear model 400 with a Carver C-1 controller that is hooked at the moment to my 1968 Cornwall ll's.
And pl-25 turntable
Dual 1229 also I have 2.
Teac cd changer.
Next
My Kenwood kr-9600
Marantz cd changer
Dual 1229
Dual 502 ( my first ever I purchased new in 75)
running several different speaker options in the same area so at the moment a pair of polk monitor 10 series 2,
a set of ohm 2xos
And last but not least a pair of original speakerlab super 7s. I have Marantz receivers which are nice and they do get some play as do the pioneers I am ok with them but harder to find and.big bucks these days so I tend to turn them for cash flow.
I am a shoestring audio lover but as my trade is no longer mine
( thankfully my wife is still able to run the truck) I get to over run the spaces in the home that most would never hear the end of. I have one extra bed room That I claimed and it's full of either to be worked on (by me) or that which is done which at the moment is 1 set of klipsch kg 4.5s and 1 pair of klipsch 5.2s
Cerwin Vega vs-100
Aven't 100As
Sansui 881
Marantz2238b
H.k.730
Pioneer sx580
Kenwood kt-66
Kenwood kr-5400
Plus some later HT receivers and the units I have at the shop I can't count...
all my electronics are solid state from the 60s 70s with one 81 unit being the exception a Sansui g-9700 which is one that is beyond my skill set. It's on the bench with my friend and I expect it will be returned very soon in a condition to out last me!
I'm ok with that. I believe we are the caretakers of the golden era history of audio so when I am done it will be in the hands of another that otherwise this gear would be forgotten and the only options would be the profit minded elite offerings designed to last 1 day after warrenty rather than that which is designed to last for at a minimum lifetime of the owner with simple maintenance.
You now own a important part of history. it's like an adopted child a huge responsibility but that's what we do...sorry for the long winded ramble. I only hope that you will get through it unscathed or you could wind up like me. o_O:bs: Unless of course you find it a satisfactory way to be and you are blessed with a wife or what have you whom is immune like mine and says what ever makes me happy:jump:
Cheers! And by all means enjoy it. Nemo
"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left ":rflmao:
 
It's a solid piece. I think one of the best they built in the heyday. I have had one or more of the large kenny's since the beginning of my audio journey. I had admired my older brothers monster and only was able at the age of 18 to scrape enough for a
kr-8010 that if memory serves me (long time ago 1976 I think) was on sale for $299.00 but I did it.
I kept that reciever and used it up until I sold it 2 years ago for a tad more than I paid for it.
I bartered a trade deal for a kr-9600 about the same time. It had a few issues and I simply was not savvy enough so I managed to work another barter with a gentleman whom has truly forgotten more than most will ever learn.
He was the one whom rewrote service manuals on much of the gear of the day and was in constant contact with all the big players as he was one of the first to see the product for warranty issues and corrected issues that failed in real world use.
The 9600 is said to be a unicorn and that it should be avoided.
He disagrees and had mine up and running like new in a short time and I with the assurance it would be good for as many years to come as had passed.
The phono stage is excellent and has provisions for both type of carts which is a huge bonus as at the time was not common. The tuner was said to be one of the top performing also. I still have many Kenwoods from a 1968 kt-66 to my 9600 with ever changing models in between. I am also a big fan of Sansui and have had many.
I have found them in various conditions from clean enough to eat off all the way too looking as if a dirty creek has run through them forever!. I think for my tastes that the eleven is simply one of the best looking receivers of the era hands down.
I really enjoyed watching you go through your steps and that is pretty much what I try to do also.
I have hundreds of photos of saves I have been lucky enough to find and resurrect.
I am not a tech but have also been blessed to find people close that are the best and will trade gear for the work that is above my skill set. I only got into this as my trade became increasingly difficult and finally not possible as my sight is aparantly failing. Its tough to be a blind trucker..LOL! I continue to find quality vintage gear that I know well and seemingly have a nack of coming home with a high rate of success at either bringing it back to life or its already in very good shape overall other than being cast aside by a family member than didn't share there obsessive late family members zeal for that stuff:blah:.
As with every manufacturer there will always be those whom don't consider the Kenwood line to be worthy.
I can say I have had more Kenwoods receivers and amps and tuners that all it took was clean and Deoxit the pots and switches for life to return.
Most would be well within specs with no further repairs needed or recommended.
I am putting this info in here so you will see I am a 2 channel albeit obsessive limited funds audio addict in the truest sense!
I currently for my main system run a phase linear model 400 with a Carver C-1 controller that is hooked at the moment to my 1968 Cornwall ll's.
And pl-25 turntable
Dual 1229 also I have 2.
Teac cd changer.
Next
My Kenwood kr-9600
Marantz cd changer
Dual 1229
Dual 502 ( my first ever I purchased new in 75)
running several different speaker options in the same area so at the moment a pair of polk monitor 10 series 2,
a set of ohm 2xos
And last but not least a pair of original speakerlab super 7s. I have Marantz receivers which are nice and they do get some play as do the pioneers I am ok with them but harder to find and.big bucks these days so I tend to turn them for cash flow.
I am a shoestring audio lover but as my trade is no longer mine
( thankfully my wife is still able to run the truck) I get to over run the spaces in the home that most would never hear the end of. I have one extra bed room That I claimed and it's full of either to be worked on (by me) or that which is done which at the moment is 1 set of klipsch kg 4.5s and 1 pair of klipsch 5.2s
Cerwin Vega vs-100
Aven't 100As
Sansui 881
Marantz2238b
H.k.730
Pioneer sx580
Kenwood kt-66
Kenwood kr-5400
Plus some later HT receivers and the units I have at the shop I can't count...
all my electronics are solid state from the 60s 70s with one 81 unit being the exception a Sansui g-9700 which is one that is beyond my skill set. It's on the bench with my friend and I expect it will be returned very soon in a condition to out last me!
I'm ok with that. I believe we are the caretakers of the golden era history of audio so when I am done it will be in the hands of another that otherwise this gear would be forgotten and the only options would be the profit minded elite offerings designed to last 1 day after warrenty rather than that which is designed to last for at a minimum lifetime of the owner with simple maintenance.
You now own a important part of history. it's like an adopted child a huge responsibility but that's what we do...sorry for the long winded ramble. I only hope that you will get through it unscathed or you could wind up like me. o_O:bs: Unless of course you find it a satisfactory way to be and you are blessed with a wife or what have you whom is immune like mine and says what ever makes me happy:jump:
Cheers! And by all means enjoy it. Nemo
"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left ":rflmao:

Well driver thanks for the long post, sounds like you have a real addiction (read passion) for this stuff.
I really enjoy it was well,wish I had more time and space.
I'll show you a few of my other interesting pieces later.
Sorry to hear about the eyes,I drive for a living as well (second career started due to great recession) and my health is always a worry.
I don't know what I'd do if something happened and I could no longer drive,I'll be 62 is a couple months but living on SSI would mean selling my home and moving into a cardboard box under a bridge.
So far I'm in good shape and strong for my age,speaking of work I have to roll out,cat'cha later.
I drive a bunch of different stuff for a small company,lately been in this T-800 with a side dumper.
zxz.jpg
 
Second coat of Watco oil applied, starting to get some shine!
I also got ahold of Arthur the "Speakermagnate" guy in Kelso,Wa who came highly recommended here as a tech.
Meeting this afternoon to drop "Kenny" off for some light replacement and a tune up.
He's busy and said it might be a month but I'm OK with that, he's close to home for me and good at what he does so it is what it is.
I'll have the wood all done and waiting when "Kenny" comes back home.:beatnik:

IMG_2799.JPG IMG_2798.JPG
 
Man, that's just stunning.

For my money, I'd get the full boat recap/restore. Get those tired old caps out of there, and hear what that magnificent thing is truly able to do.

Whatever happens, this has been one very fun thread.
I told him to give it whatever he thinks it needs, just for starters he's replacing all the lights which only makes sense.
He said the two switches missing knobs are actually broken off on the ends but he can replace them and might even have some knobs.
So now it's a waiting game, about a month out to start on it but I'm fine with that.
Meanwhile I'll finish up the wood and maybe tear into my old Marantz 2240 and clean it up a bit, it's been cutting out some on one side.
When I get Kenny back I think I'll drop off the 2240 and have it gone through, it's such a nice little receiver that has given me 10 years of joy for only $125.
It really owes me nothing at this point and deserves some TLC.

IMG_2746.JPG
 
You now own a important part of history. it's like an adopted child a huge responsibility but that's what we do...sorry for the long winded ramble. I only hope that you will get through it unscathed or you could wind up like me. o_O:bs: Unless of course you find it a satisfactory way to be and you are blessed with a wife or what have you whom is immune like mine and says what ever makes me happy:jump:
Cheers! And by all means enjoy it. Nemo
"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left ":rflmao:

I love history and antiques,here's a few of the things I've gathered.
The Victrola I use as a TV stand and to hold my sat. dish receiver but I have all the original guts in a closet.
The Emerson TV I saw on craigslist and thought it was too cool to pass up, it's a 1951. I plan to get it in working order someday.
The Meissner was another one from CL,it's a 1948 and I just liked it,not sure if it works,haven't tried it.
The Westinghouse radio and Magnavox speaker was willed to me by my late brother Mike.
He was an avid collector,most of his stuff went to museums but I got this and the round top that was my grandmothers.
The Westhinghouse is a 1921 and was the first one my brother got back in the 1950's as a young teenager. It works!

005.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG
 
Last edited:
I hadn't noticed that you were as close as you are I am north of you in Marysville.
I would be interested when all is said and done how the folks whom do any work on your 11 work out!
I am always on the lookout for skilled honest repair folks. Looking great and room or not I bet when you get it finished another will drop in your lap.
I pretty much had gotten to the level I had set my goals at but it's difficult not to see what can be done..
I would go nuts if not for this hobby/obsession I have!
I spent most of my driving career doing over dimensional hard to handle freight and miss the challenge very much. For the last 4 years my wife and I ran team freight back and forth from aircraft plant to aircraft plant.
I am guessing you knkw what I am referring too. I also have over the years run local such as what your doing also.
It's all a challenge that most will never understand but all depend upon for virtually ever aspect of their lives!
God speed driver!
And thank you for all you do!
Nemo
 
20180512_062003.jpg gotta love Marantz. I didn't appreciate them when new. I only can say if I had I would have a whole lot more. I was lucky enough to find this one and its in top shape and sees regular rotation.20180512_062003.jpg
 
I hadn't noticed that you were as close as you are I am north of you in Marysville.

Yup,I'm just South of Mt.St.Helens near the old off the beaten path logging town of (where the hell is) Yacolt,Wa.
I've got 5 1/2 acres on a hill off a dead end road, very quiet up here as there's no highway within miles.
The little town is up 6 miles of county road from the nearest two lane state highway (503) and I'm 2 1/2 miles out of town.
I snapped this pic yesterday early morning from my bedroom window.

IMG_2796.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom