• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's going to happen with all your audio gear after you kick off?

What's going to happen with all your audio gear after you kick off?


  • Total voters
    262

Billski

Member
What are you going to do with all that audio gear when you kick off?!!! I've actually been thinking a lot about that now that I've been retired for a while. I was watching some YouTube videos of "explorers"' who go into abandoned manor houses and castles of owners who have died and nobody to pass it on to in Europe. There are hundreds of them, it looks like everything, including the linens, clothes and food in the kitchen were just left as is. In some cases, table place-settings on the table. It's all just rotting away. What a waste. Anyways.

Besides the audio gear, what about all your shop gear? Nobody in my family cares much about this stuff (and that includes my vinyl album collection) and it's within the realm of possibility that they just post them on Craigslist and make an uninformed guess at the price. My wife even told me to make a list of the "valuable stuff" - she's the opposite of me, a minimalist at heart, just wants to "clear the clutter". She said she'd offer the tools to our wife's husband and the rest would just get "cleaned out". She'd probably take $20 just to get something out of the house at no effort to herself. My kids are absolutely uninterested and clueless about anything that doesn't fit in their pocket or briefcase. I know if they try to sell it unguided, a lot of money and equipment will be squandered. This is a struggle for me, especially with stuff that a lot of blood sweat and tears has gone into keeping running.

I don't think all this gear belongs in a physical museum - there is not only too much of it that was produced and it's important to continue the legacy of quality. I don't think saying, "who cares, I'll be gone" is legacy worth leaving.

I'm thinking about two things - passing down an inheritance (money) and getting things into the hands of people who value the stuff and will preserve and protect it for their lifetime. (Not that I have all that much gear!) I will probably make an advance directive, outside of but right next to my will. It will probably have two categories - One is the systems that I want to get the most money for to pass along to my family upon my demise. The second list might be a "private sale" to a group of audio afficionados (a-hem, Audio Karma) that are quite invested (or just starting out). I would probably make a list of the equipment (which we should do for insurance purposes anyways), and a recommended price that would be affordable to a audio lover. Not interested in someone who would mark it up and make a buck at it, or someone just trying to build a collection.

I know I've discussed this before, but most of you may very well outlive me, so I'm bubbling this up once more to hear what the rest of you plan to do (or not). Thanks!

Multiple responses are encouraged
 
Register to hide this ad
Estate auction .. local auction house that sells via online auctions. Anyway that's how we liquidated my parents stuff.

I've always been of the opinion .. if you are worried about the price your stuff will sell for .. sell it yourself before you enter into your final years.
 
I'm one of the older folk here - and a few years older than my wife, so my solution is to sell all the spares NOW,
to thin the herd BEFORE I kick the bucket, so my wife doesn't have to worry about a lot of junk left afterwards.
Plus, we can enjoy that extra money now, while we are together!
Anything left she can enjoy for as long as it keeps working - its all vintage gear anyway.
 
@hjames- I'm 100% with Heather on this. I had an epiphany a couple of years ago. My basement and 2 car garage were filled with records, flea market stock and broken stereo gear ( I'll get them fixed someday!). I had some dealers come in (wearing masks) and they walked off with a major portion of it. I gave good prices and the more they bought, the better the price. Some came back 2 or 3 times.

My wife doesn't have an interest but never objected to my involvement in music. My 5 kids all stream and aren't interested in physical media. I can now park in the garage and my basement is almost empty. My kids told us after the dust settled that they were relieved that we had downsized.
 
I have it stated in my will that one of my granddaughters is getting all of my equipment. She's the only one who appreciates the sound and video quality. However, she's somewhat overwhelmed with all of the pieces and now just does what the majority of people do...stream on her phone and computer. I gave her a nice Pioneer turntable many years ago, and she liked it for awhile and then decided she no longer wants to deal with it and gave it back to me a few weeks ago.

She knows that she's getting the equipment and I've explained to her that if it's too much, she can go ahead and try selling what she doesn't want. I've shown her where all of the original boxes are stored for that purpose.
 
I voted for these two

-I've made an inventory, and provided guidance on what things are worth

-I'll let my family decide who gets what and what to do with the rest

They can keep what they want and sell the rest. Or do whatever they want with it. My wife does mention speaker bonfires often :biggrin:
 
I'm on a mission to unload excess gear and media this year. I have a surround system in the LR, a main stereo system and a small garage system. All of the rest goes. 12" and 7" vinyl and cd's get purged. I already got started on the 45 collection, although selling a few at a time on discogs is pretty slow going. My 2 sons will split up whatever my wife doesn't want. I have a nephew in Texas who is into vinyl, so he'll probably get that, it's all in our will. Hope I last long enough to see it through, so it's not a burden on my wife.
 
Last edited:
I am very slowly cleaning out the barn and selling what I can. The goal is to get rid of all the extra stuff before I die.
 
Estate auction .. local auction house that sells via online auctions. Anyway that's how we liquidated my parents stuff.

I've always been of the opinion .. if you are worried about the price your stuff will sell for .. sell it yourself before you enter into your final years.

Problem is, I don't have that much stuff, so giving it up now is not an option I want to consider!
My music is something I can keep listening to even once I'm house-bound (hopefully not!)

Also, it's not the price, it's making sure it gets to people who will appreciate it.
 
I’m 12 years older than my wife, so most likely will go first. She’s been good about me and the hobby, but has no clue on costs and what has been spent.
Once I kick the bucket she can give to whoever, or she can call an estate sale company.
Maybe a family member will develop a love for the stuff in the next several years.
 
I have thinned out considerably (moved into a 398sqft tiny house). We have recently moved into a 720sqft mansion but are still only doing one system (had 2 in the Tiny house :confused:). And since I only do separates if something comes in I try to move something along (kind of works). When I first downsized I gave away multiple complete systems to my daughters, a few of their friends and a couple guys at work (6yrs ago and they all still have and use them). Since I have again accumulated 6 amps, 3 pre-amps and 3 DACs (only one set of speakers :)) I will offer them up local and if no takers I will try and find some "kids" to give it too. Since I am not afraid of new tech as many here, hopefully by the time my kids need to worry about it we will have moved on to gears that require almost zero space, I truly don't want them dealing with my old crap! Other than my 2 tube amps and my TT for my vinyls I really have zero sentimental attachment to vintage stereo crap (never liked silver faced stuff when it was new :dunno:) and with vintage prices being what they are I have been transitioning to all brand new gears :thumbsup:

I picked 2 of the choices, "who cares" and see my reply :D
 
Yah….

Finding a good home for good equipment is probably better than the prospect of those not interested just dropping it off at a thrift store.
 
Back
Top Bottom