• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's going to happen with all your audio gear after you kick off?

What's going to happen with all your audio gear after you kick off?


  • Total voters
    263
I voted something else.
My wife will more than likely give it away or donate it. The kids will only regret it when its gone. No matter how much I show her what its worth it does not sink in. I will enjoy it, so be it.
 
Honestly, If I were to sell everything now it would only be a few thousand dollars...it's not "life changing" money.
There are a few choice guitars that my family would keep for sentimental reasons, and the rest of my stuff can just go away.
I have $25k in a whole life insurance plan that's paid up. That's a more responsible use of my resources than leaving a list of 'chores' for my family to do after I'm gone.
 
Last edited:
Been reading on AK, some of the laments on the high cost of audio gear, RIGHT NOW, but didn't know the actual price levels until I did a look-see.

The price of TT's are outta sight for the most part! The SONY's/Thorens, etc. are just ridiculous for the upper enders! But, this may not last.

So, Keeping the above in mind, I think it is important to leave some sort of indication of what gear values are at present, but this may change over time, one way or the other.


Something to keep in mind.


Q
 
i set my kids up with small but decent systems,they have some interest and some vinyl
my son is using minimus 7 and a paradigm sub eventho he has sound dynamic 15S sitting in his room. (15" woofers and horn)
not enuff interest i guess. course no he's into girls so stereo is on the back burner .

after being hospitalized for strokes, and finding out i cant drive or solder, i gave away 3 full suv loads of working,sorta working, fixable and parts units
all of it turntables, amps , speakers, raw drivers, parts, cartridges ect to other enthusiasts .

i still have a few piles of decent stuff as spares or to sell if this pandemic thing ever mellows out
 
To make sure it's not a burden to my wife, My body is destroying itself at a pretty good rate, so I've only got 2 to 3 years left, so when it gets to the point where I'm having lots of trouble breathing, that's when everything in the stereo room is going to go over to my son's house. It will go in a bedroom system and part of it to my grandson for his system that he should be able to keep for many years. other individual pieces will go to people as in free. Yes I don't believe in trying to get the absolute maximum amount of money out of things, especially calling some of your friends and expecting them to pay the absolute maximum dollar, just so that you can give all of that greedy money to your relatives ,at your friend's expense.
All the stereo people who are actually gear whores, hoarding massive amounts of stereo equipment, stashed in attics and garages.. Really are narcissistic and selfish individuals as they care nothing about the burden that it's going to be for their spouses to have to get rid of all of that equipment and ship it away to who knows where It's going, and to take lots of their time to dispose of all of this, all because you wanted to have more than the rest of everybody else.
 
To make sure it's not a burden to my wife, My body is destroying itself at a pretty good rate, so I've only got 2 to 3 years left, so when it gets to the point where I'm having lots of trouble breathing, that's when everything in the stereo room is going to go over to my son's house.
Sorry about your health, glad you have family to take care or you and your stuff.

I’m not narcissistic, but I do have lots of stuff. Having been through this with friends, it’s best to designate someone to deal with it. My wife may need the income from my hoarding, so I have a designated BMW friend to help maximize the monetizing of that collection. I’m sure I can find someone to do the same with my JBL, Crown, and Soundcraftsmen stuff some of which has lived in my home over 60-years.

Best of luck to you for a comfortable rest of your days.
 
When my neat freak brother went to my hoarder brother's house he told him "You have to die last!"
(Meaning... he aint cleaning up his crap)

My neat freak brother hasn't seen my stash o audio goodies but I reckon he'd say the same about me.
Ironically, he's the one most responsible for my audio hardware obsessions. He's gone full stream. . . . quitter!

If I told my girlfriend that she gets it, she'd liquidate me and then the stuff.
 
I'm going to have to find an understudy who appreciates audio equipment, test equipment and has some smarts about them, train them to build and maintain hifi equipment the old fashioned way and leave my collection in their care. Otherwise its probably going to the dump, and since theres so much of it. They'll likely burn it, before they haul it to the dump.
Seriously I'll need to find someone who is young and bright and has the drive to learn HiFi audio and I'll just pass on the entire lab that I built in to their care, probably via the structure of the audio club I'm involved with.
 
The gear - I bought it for myself, and don't care what happens with it. The physical media - if anyone will go through it, all these cassettes and CDs will give them an idea what music I listened to, maybe they will like some of my mixtapes. Just like the books that I've read (or at least had on my bookshelves), the movies I've watched. I doubt though anyone will look at this junk, however. I am not a celebrity or a prime minister. So whatever, no one will know that I had a great taste in music, literature and film. Nah, whom am I kidding, I am just an average Joe.
 
It all goes to me nephew for either liquidation (proceeds to wife) or keeping, his choice. However things change all the time and if I knew I was terminal in a short range I would likely begin to liquidate some stuff.
No one in family is into vinyl sadly so the 3K plus $100K collection will be sold I am sad to say.
Maybe it is time to head to BT and begin?
 
I intend to have this added into my will now that I've stumbled onto this and thinking about it. Too much stuff. Lots of responses suggest that not everyone in their family or friends would care for the gear and I am in that realm too. Absolutely none of my friends would care for our classic cars that run perfect and would drive anywhere, specialized tooling to care for them, the original GM manuals, O-scopes and much more. Auction them I suppose. I have 2 family members that would want a system and they can divide the vinyl and else up as they see fit (I have 5 complete setup systems and my wife and I do enjoy them). Beyond that, off to the auction house for the rest; all the meters, variacs, decade boxes and all. The G gauge LGB trains too.

I've got lots of decades in me yet so we do intend to enjoy everything but can't predict the unpredictable.
 
The good thing is I'll already be dead if my better half finds out what everything I have is worth (especially the very rare mint condition items). She's always wondered why I let so few people know where I live much less actually come inside our house.
 
Back
Top Bottom