• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's going to happen with all your audio gear after you kick off?

What's going to happen with all your audio gear after you kick off?


  • Total voters
    263
I suspect my son will want my stuff but that's not a given. I'm 99.99% certain my daughter isn't interested in the equipment but I did give her all my vinyl a few years ago.
My wife doesn't go near the stereo..too many buttons and such, so she won't want it.

But I retired -early- in October and my wife and I are moving to Belize in May, I plan on living out my days there. Maybe I'll donate it to whatever my favorite bar is.
 
Everything goes to a selfless and generous family member. They will give whatever to whoever wants whatever. The whoever's said they do want a whatever to remember this whoever. There's plenty of whatevers for whoever, and the whoever's are to lazy to complain about the whatevers.
 
I don't care but I'm going to enjoy it while I'm able. When I get a little older I'll have to down size and if that means giving it to GW so be it, I've had my fun
 
I’m more concerned with keeping family keepsakes in the family, than I am with my audio gear and music collection.
My music collection is so niche, that it will be hard to sell for much, and it’s really hard to inform my heirs about everything.
I, too, have experience in clearing out a deceased family member’s house, and I found that it is a hard, hard thing to deal with disposing a life’s worth of stuff that you just know meant something to them, but you can’t keep it all yourself.
So, I will just try not to leave too much.
 
Fill you'all in with a true story.

Not in on all of the sorted details.
Outsider looking in...

Been seeing ads for gear on FBM for months of a guy I found out who died.
He evidently was a hunter/hoarder of gear and had the house full. He left for the wife to deal with.

Prices were high eBay and I was getting out of the hunt.

So.

Told some friends to check with the family and see what is what. Never did....

Well today the wife had a moving sale.
Must sell sorta thing.

Went by just to see what was going on.

Picked up some very nice pieces at fire sale prices..... One was a tuner I been looking for a long time.

Called some friends too!

One I know showed up and got a van of stuff too.

Sad, felt bad the mess he left for her to deal with.
 
Last edited:
What are you going to do with all that audio gear when you kick off?!!! I've actually been thinking a lot about that now that I've been retired for a while. I was watching some YouTube videos of "explorers"' who go into abandoned manor houses and castles of owners who have died and nobody to pass it on to in Europe. There are hundreds of them, it looks like everything, including the linens, clothes and food in the kitchen were just left as is. In some cases, table place-settings on the table. It's all just rotting away. What a waste. Anyways.

Besides the audio gear, what about all your shop gear? Nobody in my family cares much about this stuff (and that includes my vinyl album collection) and it's within the realm of possibility that they just post them on Craigslist and make an uninformed guess at the price. My wife even told me to make a list of the "valuable stuff" - she's the opposite of me, a minimalist at heart, just wants to "clear the clutter". She said she'd offer the tools to our wife's husband and the rest would just get "cleaned out". She'd probably take $20 just to get something out of the house at no effort to herself. My kids are absolutely uninterested and clueless about anything that doesn't fit in their pocket or briefcase. I know if they try to sell it unguided, a lot of money and equipment will be squandered. This is a struggle for me, especially with stuff that a lot of blood sweat and tears has gone into keeping running.

I don't think all this gear belongs in a physical museum - there is not only too much of it that was produced and it's important to continue the legacy of quality. I don't think saying, "who cares, I'll be gone" is legacy worth leaving.

I'm thinking about two things - passing down an inheritance (money) and getting things into the hands of people who value the stuff and will preserve and protect it for their lifetime. (Not that I have all that much gear!) I will probably make an advance directive, outside of but right next to my will. It will probably have two categories - One is the systems that I want to get the most money for to pass along to my family upon my demise. The second list might be a "private sale" to a group of audio afficionados (a-hem, Audio Karma) that are quite invested (or just starting out). I would probably make a list of the equipment (which we should do for insurance purposes anyways), and a recommended price that would be affordable to a audio lover. Not interested in someone who would mark it up and make a buck at it, or someone just trying to build a collection.

I know I've discussed this before, but most of you may very well outlive me, so I'm bubbling this up once more to hear what the rest of you plan to do (or not). Thanks!

Multiple responses are encouraged


If I find someone who enjoys this 70's era receiver collecting hobby as much as I do I'll leave it all to them with a list of how much each is worth. If my niece does not want it I've made arrangements to have it sold professionally and she gets the proceeds. Since I'll be gone I won't be worried.She's smart and level headed. She'll figure it out.
 
It heavily depends on radio, and whether broadcasting remains a thing. If there are no radio stations, receivers are just an amp.

I live near a major city. NO shortage of FM radio stations here. AM radio is garbage here. A local college has an FM classical station near me. I just loves classical music. I Just punch a whole mess of them buttons sit back and relax. I get carried away on a raft guided by the great masters in classical music. Yeeee Haw! Cures my insomnia real good!
 
I really should start and try to sell off some of the gear I've collected.

No one in my fam wants it.

I sometimes wish that someone or something would just appear and solve my problems.

I'm good at procrastinating.
 
I’m 65, my silver face gear is already 50 years old. Hopefully I’ll live to 85 but then that gear will be 70 years old. I would hope my grandson might want it but who knows? Leaving memories and knowledge is more meaningful to me.
 
Me: Don't plan on dying!
Really, I plan on selling all the gear that I don't use regularly. What's left I'll let my wife know the value and she can do what she wants. Will also give my youngest brother gear and will probably get all my vinyl.
 
I have too much, so I am committed to selling off duplicates, etc. I hope to get down to two TT's, 2 R2R's, 2 Cassette decks, one 8 track, one CD player, and a preamp\amp combo, plus a few audio candy type of devices. I am a long way off from that.
For the media-I have kids who are into vinyl now, so they can sort through and grab what they like, and the rest they can decide to sell or give it away. Same for the CD's, cassettes, R2R reels and 8n tracks, but I doubt they will want much there.
I accept that what happens to my collection is up to my wife and kids, so I hope to pare down and put the cash to something else.
If I don't sell it before I go, I will resist going around with sticky notes, putting a dollar value on each piece of gear, suggesting that someone else should attempt to sell it, using my figures (but it has crossed my mind, hasn't it? :))

Now, if you will excuse me, I want to check out Bartertown for just a moment......
 
Last edited:
Hello members -

Their do exist formal documents known as a " Last Will and Testament ".
I recall the visit to the Lawyer's residence and the writing of my first Will in March 2003. To this day, I keep this original writ, updated on a periodic basis.
 
None of my kids have a real interest in owning my gear when I am gone, but I have provided them with street values so they will know not to just give it away- especially my Mcintosh MC2205, Pioneer PL-630 and Tube preamp gear. Selling this stuff will allow someone a nice vacation!
 
Back
Top Bottom