• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Whats the first Album you really remember?

My aunts bought me Beatles and Monkees albums but the one i bought that i remember when i was 8 or 9 was that Snoopy and the Royal Guardsman LP. i got a whole buch of records foe a penny thanks to the Capitol Record Club by Led Zepplin, Santana, Neil Young, Three Dog Night, The Doors, etc.
 
Seems like a lot of us, it was the Beatles... Same here, first Album was
Heyjudealbum.jpg


But my first vinyl was Peter, Paul and Mary - "Puff the Magic Dragon". LOL. Looking back, I remember trying to figure out the details of "going away" as it relates to the death reference.
I'm not entirely sure that was my Mother's intent when she gave it to a 6-7 year old me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC2tlNmz4ao
 
My older sisters gave me three records that they did not like:

Led Zep IV
Supertramp's Crime of the Century
Alice Cooper's Love it to Death

I still play each of these albums once or twice per year.
 
First Album I Remember

The first albums I remember were in my parents' jazz and musical play collection. Definitely the earliest big influence on my tastes from that collection was:

The Dave Brubeck Quartet At Carnegie Hall.

Also remember early exposure to:
Oscar Peterson
Ahmad Jamal

From the Musical play collection I remember albums such as:

The Sound of Music
Oliver
Hair

The first record I purchased was much later, when in high school I purchased:

All 'n All, by Earth, Wind and Fire
Then came many Yes albums.....
 
Last edited:
My sister had bought tickets to Chris de Burgh's concert in Montreal in the early 80's. My first concert ( outdoors) , I was somewhere around 14. She bought both Spanish Train and Crusader album that we would listen "100" time a day ,weeks before the show to learn all the songs by heart ......

Funny thing, I just got back into this hobby and starting from scratch. Today , I found Spanish Train used for 2.99$......It was always part of my cd collection but to own it back again in vinyl kinda brings back memories :thmbsp:

Because of some family arguments , my sister and I haven't spoken much lately...I think I'll give her a call tomorrow and invite her to listen to both albums like back in the days......
 
For me it would've been More Specials by The Specials in 81. Ska/2 Tone music was really big in the UK back then.
Me and my mates used to wear harrington jackets with loads of mod button badges on. It was an awesome period for music in the UK that'll never be forgotten. Even my aunts 2 sons were into SKA big time (they were 5 years older than me at the time),but tragically both died a few years later in separate car crashes.
 
My sister had bought tickets to Chris de Burgh's concert in Montreal in the early 80's. My first concert ( outdoors) , I was somewhere around 14. She bought both Spanish Train and Crusader album that we would listen "100" time a day ,weeks before the show to learn all the songs by heart ......

Funny thing, I just got back into this hobby and starting from scratch. Today , I found Spanish Train used for 2.99$......It was always part of my cd collection but to own it back again in vinyl kinda brings back memories :thmbsp:

Because of some family arguments , my sister and I haven't spoken much lately...I think I'll give her a call tomorrow and invite her to listen to both albums like back in the days......

I think that is a GREAT Idea! :thmbsp:



Dennie
 
The first LP was the Mamas and Papas "If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears" my parents played a bunch, but the first vinyl I ever owned was a 45 of the novelty song "Beans in my Ears" by the Serendipity Singers my dad bought to cheer me up when I was ill. My sister still laughs about that song.

Hey, I have that 45 too! :thmbsp: Yes, that song will certainly cheer you up! Thanks for sharing that memory. :yes:
 
My parents didn't have a lot of records and none of those really stick out, though it would likely have been classical. Possibly the first I do remember is Harry Hibbs and the album with Black Velvet Band on it.

After that it would have some of my older brother's records. Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Lovin' Spoonful, Jefferson Airplane's Crown Of Creation and one which is still a favourite: Cream Live Vol II.

Oh, and the Woodstock Album.
 
Oh man...Herb Alpert and the TJB! I'm STILL listening to this one having found a replacement copy somewhere in Indiana. For me it was my brother's. The Association Greatest Hits. We were so poor that the only albums we would purchase had "Greatest Hits" somewhere in the title. Figuring more bang for the buck. Why is it that some of the cuts on the record you never heard of?
 
Back
Top Bottom