• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's the going price for a Yamaha C-4/M-4 combo?

srivats

Active Member
What's a good price for a Yamaha C-4 pre and M-4 power amp combo? I am helping out a budget constrained friend and want to get an idea of current market prices for this AK fav combo ..
 
Register to hide this ad
someone ought to write a script that searches ebay completed for the term, compares (sold listings only) low/high and avg prices and for the item in question and reports back.
think all the time this would save.


anyway, M4 is pretty nice and can be had for reasonable if patient. the preamp does not have to be a c4 tho unless you're absolute in your wish for that number to match. imo a C6 is better (even tho i do not yet have one) it has more knobs to play with tho how can it not be better?!


just my thoughts.
 
. the preamp does not have to be a c4 tho unless you're absolute in your wish for that number to match. imo a C6 is better (even tho i do not yet have one) it has more knobs to play with tho how can it not be better?!


just my thoughts.
I have both C-4 and C-6 as does AK resident Yamaha tech expert Avionic and quite a few other Yamaha freaks on AK.
While the C-6 is a pretty good, decent preamp, and the parmetrics are cool. The consensus around here and also around the net, is that the C-4 is a whole magnitude better than the C-6.
Just sayin. :D
 
the preamp does not have to be a c4 tho unless you're absolute in your wish for that number to match. imo a C6 is better (even tho i do not yet have one) it has more knobs to play with tho how can it not be better?!


just my thoughts.


Well there you have it. The number of knobs is the deciding factor on which preamp is better. Nothing to do with sound quality as he doesn't have the one he prefers, yet.

Not saying this is wrong, it is just another way to enjoy the hobby. I'm glad you qualified why you thought the C6 was better than the C4 because many here would prefer the unit that sounds better.
 
Jeez, you guys are a lot of help... :thumbsdn:

The C-4's are selling for $2-400.00 depending on condition.
The M-4's are selling for $1-250.00 depending on condition.

These are eBay sales so local values are less generally. I usually figure
50-75% of eBay sales depending on the area.

The combo should be worth about $3-400 in good condition on craigslist but it may not sell for that much. And it may sell for more.

If they were mine to sell I would try for $400 and probably have to take less for a local sale.
 
Well there you have it. The number of knobs is the deciding factor on which preamp is better. Nothing to do with sound quality as he doesn't have the one he prefers, yet.

Not saying this is wrong, it is just another way to enjoy the hobby. I'm glad you qualified why you thought the C6 was better than the C4 because many here would prefer the unit that sounds better.

whoa hold on partner, no need for that, I didnt know C4 nuts were gonna come after my hide on that one.

fine fine fine, C4 is better.








can we at least agree M4 makes a kick-ass paperweight?


..no?



sheesh. yamaha fans..
 
... it has more knobs to play with tho how can it not be better?!
Depends whether friend is male or female
woman-vs-man-buttons.jpg
 
can we at least agree M4 makes a kick-ass paperweight?

sheesh. yamaha fans..

Hey I just got a C4 about 6 months ago with a bunch of other stuff and recapped the C4. Had it in the system for 30 minutes or so before I loaned it to Esoteric Mike, one of our audio group. The one with the best ears and he says the unit took some time to break in before it leveled off and sounded very nice. His new, tube, high dollar (not mega dollar) preamp was out getting a new cabinet so he had time to use the C4. So although I'm not a yamaha-crazy, I have read folks here talk about the C4 and have listened to one for 30 minutes as well getting Mike's opinion, and he says it is alright.

M4 paperweight...too heavy. I need more efficient speakers. Killer amps are hard to move around.
 
Last edited:
just havin some fun with you mate, its all good.

Exactly!

I'm just hoping the capacitors don't burn-in crowd don't see what I wrote or I will be with you on the rails being sent out of town.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom