• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's your favourite German word?

One of my favorite dishes my mom used to make, when I was a kid and a great German word:
GRIESSNOCKERLSUPPE
 
Nazi was a nickname for Ignatz, and used as a derogatry term for an idiot or fool.
Said that word around the wrong german, you could get a bullet in your brain.
I thought it meant, translated to, National Socialist German Workers' party. Distinguished by being national, not international and global. I don't know Ignatz.
 
Nazi was a nickname for Ignatz, and used as a derogatry term for an idiot or fool.
Said that word around the wrong german, you could get a bullet in your brain.

I thought it meant, translated to, National Socialist German Workers' party. Distinguished by being national, not international and global. I don't know Ignatz.
You're both right. Prior to the rise of the party in Germany, the word was in use as a phrase describing a backward peasant, an awkward and clumsy person. As the party rose to prominence the term was initially used as a derogatory term for a party member, but then later became accepted by party members.

From then on it has been used to describe party members and the original meaning has mostly been lost.
 
[the National Socialists were originally 'Nasos'. 'Nazi' was used as a derogatory term and it stuck (as High Voltage mentioned).
maybe like some tea partiers started using 'tea baggers', not knowing the reference.]


Knickebein
 
Back
Top Bottom