• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

When are Monster Speakers Truly "Monster"?

Big Tuna

Too Much Power!
I see sellers all the time proclaiming their speakers as "monster" speakers, only to look at them and wonder :wtf: Is it because they have a monster sound maybe? I find it difficult to believe that any regular residential sized speaker, say up to 3 ft tall, can deliver true monster sound, unless the cabinet is as big as a 2000 lb. Grizzly Bear and has 2 to 4 woofers with an array of drivers that would surely destroy anyone's hearing at loud volume levels. What do you guys think?
 
Register to hide this ad
This is a monster spikker.

A1X.jpg


These are crazy monster home spikkers.

Klaus_5wayHorns.jpg
 
I can see some being called "Monster" for size if they are in the 4 1/2 to 5 foot range and have massive horns producing nasty raw sounds...something you can't stand to be near.....I do have a pair of norman lab model 9's that have no problem filling a 2000 sq ft home with nice sound...I think they stand in the 3 1/2 foot range, three 10in woofers, three tweeters for mids and highs but I would never call them "Monster" or think of them in that way...to me "Monster" also means nasty sounding...something to blast sound not reproduce it with any quality (IMO) :yes:
 
mine are in 9ft^3 boxes and have 15" drivers - borderline, I'd say, since they tuck unobtrusively into corners. You can't really push them with lots of watts to make them crank, though... plus, wouldn't Noel Lee sue me if I called them M@nster speakers?
 
I immediately think of some of the big VMPS, Snell (Type B minor or larger) or Legacy

NHT VT-3 and 3.3 are in there too...

I like the "takes two people to move" comment. I'd add to that that they should be able to move a room full of people!
 
Some of these probably qualify. The 3rd in the lineup costs a cool $1 million.
 

Attachments

  • FinalAudio_Opus204.jpg
    FinalAudio_Opus204.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 53
  • GermanPhysiks_Emperor.jpg
    GermanPhysiks_Emperor.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 57
  • kharma_grand_enigma.jpg
    kharma_grand_enigma.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 57
  • magico_ultimate.jpg
    magico_ultimate.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Cessaro_Gamma1.jpg
    Cessaro_Gamma1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 43
Does a 24 cu ft box with an 18 inch woofer qualify ? If so its under construction- 18 inch EV w/ styrofoam cone and 3 more EV drivers. If it sounds good I will build a mate for it. JR:banana::banana::banana:
 
Is there a mathematical equation that represents the correlation between monsterdom and WAF? I would think they would vary inversely to some extent, but some speakers with very low WAF still might not be monstrous.
 
Back
Top Bottom