• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Where is center of the Universe

Worldly practical answer: my 17-year old son's bedroom.

My belief: God

My practical belief:

G ood
O rderly
D irection
 
A pre-Socratic thinker, whose name escapes me at the moment, said it best: the universe is a sphere whose center is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere.
 
A search reveals that lots of people seem to have either said it or re-discovered it, but the name 'Pascal' seems to come up quite often as a possible author.

Anyway, to me, it's in my listening room when I'm cranking it :music:
 
Where's tybrad when you need him? And those Big Bang Theory TV commercials are very annoying.

If the universe started as an infinitesimal monstrous mass and exploded Physicists have speculated that you would be able to calculate the center of the Universe. Like I said the most distant objects are accelerating outward faster than all other objects which means that there was a massive amount of energy that created the Universe somewhere within the Universe. And some of the most distant objects are Quasars (very energetic and distant active galactic nucleus).
 
Last edited:
Where's tybrad when you need him? And those Big Bang Theory TV commercials are very annoying.

If the universe started as an infinitesimal monstrous mass and exploded Physicists have speculated that you would be able to calculate the center of the Universe. Like I said the most distant objects are accelerating outward faster than all other objects which means that there was a massive amount of energy that created the Universe somewhere within the Universe. And some of the most distant objects are Quasars.

To calculate a center you first need to determine the geometry of the universe.
The universe is expanding as you say, like if you have a balloon and paint spots on it's surface and then blow it up, then all spots on it's surface appear to be moving away from one another.
The greater the distance between the spots, the faster they appear to be moving away from one another.
But none of the spots will be the center, the spots will not be moving away from a common center, or you could see it as if every spot is the center.

It's very complicated and I don't understand it well, but the people who made this podcast know quite a bit about it:
http://www.astronomycast.com/2008/03/ep-81-questions-on-the-shape-size-and-centre-of-the-universe/

Edit: Quasars are black holes that are 'feeding' on stuff, and emitting vast amounts of light at their poles (complicated to explain), they are the brightest objects in the universe.
 
Last edited:
All that quantum physics stuff is hard to cypher sometimes...But, hell, I had trouble w/geometry..."Prove that Line "A" is parallel to Line "B"..." Why ? WTF does THAT have to do w/the price of Eggs in China, or anything else for that matter..And Schrodlinger's Pussy Cat...Alive & dead at the same time...Aww, Bullshit...(grin)
 
From what I've heard you can't really go off the edge of the universe. You pop right back up at the opposite side. Sort of like in an old video game where you walk off the screen and appear on the other side of the screen. Some awesome stuff.

Also, have heard the outer elements of the universe that are the oldest and fastest moving are also beginning to slow down....
 
From what I've heard you can't really go off the edge of the universe. You pop right back up at the opposite side. Sort of like in an old video game where you walk off the screen and appear on the other side of the screen. Some awesome stuff.

Also, have heard the outer elements of the universe that are the oldest and fastest moving are also beginning to slow down....

Or like moving around the surface of a ball, like on earth, there is no edge, you just go in circles if you keep going in one direction.

Most scientists agree that to expansion of the universe is not slowing down, but is accelerating, which is quite counter intuitive.
You'd think and explosion would move fast in the beginning and then slow down, but the universe is just the other way around.
 
All that quantum physics stuff is hard to cypher sometimes...But, hell, I had trouble w/geometry..."Prove that Line "A" is parallel to Line "B"..." Why ? WTF does THAT have to do w/the price of Eggs in China, or anything else for that matter..And Schrodlinger's Pussy Cat...Alive & dead at the same time...Aww, Bullshit...(grin)

Hey, no thinking outside of the "approved" parameters. :nono: You never know WHAT might happen. :scratch2: :D
 
I recommend thinking about this problem in bed with the lights out. Then think about how big the universe really is and your place in it. Now try to go to sleep.:D
 
I think I have heard this on Nova on PBS. There is no center to the universe and their is no end. Of course it's so vast and huge I don't think we will never have an answer. I read on the NASA web site that Voyager I is just about to exit our solar system, but it took 35 years to do this. The signal sent to Voyager I takes 17 hours to reach the Earth.

Of course I met a lot of people who think there the center of the universe, but that is another topic!
 
Close, but it's actually the Fremont neighborhood, in Seattle. They even have signs saying so, so you know it's true. That's why I buy pretty much all my records there, because they're capable of appreciating ME. :D ;)

There is an unbelievably hideous concrete art-thing on the University of New Mexico campus (designed in a way to make it almost impossible to remove by detonation) that is labeled, "The Center Of The Universe". So it's in NM.
 
Before this was posted up on Netflix instant I really felt I was missing out on SOMETHING by not having a TV.

ThroughtheWormhole_burned-copy.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom