• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Where the Heck are All the ADS L8e and L9e Speakers?!

Duffinator said:
The bottom one is an L7e, the top two are L8e. I think the pics of the L8e are onepixel's. I believe the M12's are newer than the L8e's. My S700's are similar, maybe newer, vintage to the M12's. Soundmotor did I get that right?

M12's came out around the same time as the B7/B8. The L7e/L8e/L9e came out later, the the S500/S600/S700 last. Can't believe I'd ever have a reason to recite that info either.
 
soundmotor said:
M12's came out around the same time as the B7/B8. The L7e/L8e/L9e came out later, the the S500/S600/S700 last. Can't believe I'd ever have a reason to recite that info either.
And the Sat 5/6/7 were in between the Lxe and Sx00?
 
onepixel said:
Shoot I thought this thread was abandoned.

Those pics aren't mine. Here are mine from another post.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32676&d=1165282433

http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32677&d=1165282433

My L8e's are near mint but still kinda funky looking.

So the "S" series came last? :scratch2:
The tweeters in my S700's have a round plate made of aluminum which differ from the rectangular steel plates of most of the earlier models. It's not sticky either.
 
Found a pair of L9e at my favorite thrift this week. Nearly didn't stop but my gut steered me away from my errands. This find definitely made up for a lousy weekend!

Walked into the electronics dept and they had a new kid putting stuff on the shelves. Normally anything good is cherry-picked in the back room and "specially priced". Since the L9e look much like a cheap BPC speaker (to the untrained eye anyways), they snuck in under the radar. Once I saw the dome tweeter and midrange, I pounced on them! The grilles were a little bent up but no pegs were broken. No dents in any drivers but one woofer had a small tear that was easily fixed.

I never know exactly how much they will charge for speakers since it depends on who's working register and what their idea of a small or large speaker is. A large pair of Thrusters were priced at $25. Audiokarma smiled on me that day - six bucks!

I haven't had a chance to listen to them critically. Played them for a few minutes downstairs on the 700m but it was late and I couldn't crank up the horsepower.

Pics to come later next week.
 
I saw my recent acquisitions mentioned, in this thread. So I figured I'd some post pics.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 157
Found a pair of L9e at my favorite thrift this week. Nearly didn't stop but my gut steered me away from my errands. This find definitely made up for a lousy weekend!

Walked into the electronics dept and they had a new kid putting stuff on the shelves. Normally anything good is cherry-picked in the back room and "specially priced". Since the L9e look much like a cheap BPC speaker (to the untrained eye anyways), they snuck in under the radar. Once I saw the dome tweeter and midrange, I pounced on them! The grilles were a little bent up but no pegs were broken. No dents in any drivers but one woofer had a small tear that was easily fixed.

I never know exactly how much they will charge for speakers since it depends on who's working register and what their idea of a small or large speaker is. A large pair of Thrusters were priced at $25. Audiokarma smiled on me that day - six bucks!

I haven't had a chance to listen to them critically. Played them for a few minutes downstairs on the 700m but it was late and I couldn't crank up the horsepower.

Pics to come later next week.

Hey Gonzo look forward to your thoughts on the L9e. I really like my L8es. And I agree they do look BPCish.

Cheers
 
While they may *look* like BPC from a distance (due to the black veneer), there's no mistaking them for BPC up close. Quality terminals, rubber surround woofers and a cabinet that feels as solid as a brick (and just as heavy).

Does anyone have a spec sheet for the L9e? FWIW they are labeled 4 ohms. Any idea of their sensitivity?
 
Hey guys -

It must be L9E time at the thrifts - I just picked up a set yesterday with black cabs.. I'd say mine are close to mint. I thought the $25 for the pair I paid was a steal - but I guess I got ripped off compared to gonzo's $6!!

I just hooked them up and am checking them out with a marantz 2230 - I'm thinking they may need a little more power to do them justice.

ANy thoughts on amps to drive these? I've been debating getting my hands on some of the ADS components from the era - any suggestions?

http://picasaweb.google.com/iambiglou/ADSL9E
 
soundmotor - that's just an artifact of the pic - the mids are perfect. I showed up at the thrift early in the day and asked them to set aside the speakers along with a large Vornado turbine looking fan from the 50s (it moves some serious air).

These speakers were part of a nice set of gear that had just been dropped off... there was a NAD 3140 and some fancy looking mixing board as well.. I debated getting everything but really need to pick and choose at this point.
 
my L9e's

Hello all -

I've been listening to a mint set of L9e for almost 20 years now. I bought then at of a places -- Tweeter Etc., back in 1990, and paid a lot for them ($400!!!!). But they were worth every penny, as they still sound better than most speakers I hear today. At reasonable volumes they are extreamly acurrate -- one of the best jazz and vocal speakers ever made. I would not recommend them for any type of hip-hop, insane bass heavy music -- get a set of big JBL speakers if this is what you wat to listen to.

I do not want to sell them -- I know I could never replace them, unless I spent a small fortune. They are way too nice....

I have a question -- are the cases made of walnut or mahogany? there is a red tone to the wood, which makes me think mahogany, but ADS liked to use walnut, so many they are just stained the color.

I'd like to find a copy of the spec sheet or a user manual, jst to know what they are made of, and what ADS considered them usable for.

I have a set of ADS L-710's I want to do a A-B test with the L9e's against. It will be interesting to compare them.

I will post pictures as soon as I can find my camera (dam teenagers!!!)

Scott
 
Look in dollars and sense I put a link up for some of the 8's for $130 speakers $100 shipping. AND THERE BUY IT NOW SO HURRY. I just something bought something entirely too expensive or else I'd nab 'em...

no affiliation, etc
 
Here's a score on L9E

010103011604010412200804119a6ddec4008378a8e400def4.jpg


Auction link removed. Not allowed outside Dollars and Sense. -Moderator
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I have all or most of the L9e speakers: Three pairs -- 2 in black, one in gorgeous real walnut. I also have a pair of L7e speakers. My ADS collection is quite extensive including two pairs of L1290s, one pair of L1590s and one pair of 1530s. I also have many of the smaller versions. Other models that I find quite satifsying, besides those above and the L810s and L710s, are the L980s and L730s. I think the latter are greatly underrated. The single bass drivers may not be quite as tight as the twins, but sound deeper. I have only seen 3 pairs of L9e speakers on ebay over the past several years -- I bought them all. They really are great. They are the last hoorah of ADS!
 
Last edited:
Perhaps I have all or most of the L9e speakers: Three pairs -- 2 in black, one in gorgeous real walnut. I also have a pair of L7e speakers. My ADS collection is quite extensive including two pairs of L1290s, one pair of L1590s and one pair of 1530s. I also have many of the smaller versions. Other models that I find quite satifsying, besides those above and the L810s and L710s, are the L980s and L730s. I think the latter are greatly underrated. The single bass drivers may not be quite as tight as the twins, but sound deeper. I have only seen 3 pairs of L9e speakers on ebay over the past several years -- I bought them all. They really are great. They are the last hoorah of ADS!

You suck! I've been looking for L9es forever.

Oh and welcome to AK!

:D
 
I own a pair of l8e's but in black. They don't sound as nice as people have been saying to me, the highs sound completely rolled off. This could be:
1. One of the cones was dented in and I pulled it out with a vacuum cleaner
2. I'm driving them using a pretty crappy Sherwood S-9200CP
 
Back
Top Bottom