• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which cartridge? Ortofon 2M Black or Grado Sonata -1

I don't really understand. I thought grados w known for their midrange. Can you give me sme advice?


Ben aka MacKat

There are all kids of threads here about the Signature 8MZ installed into the various Grado labs bodies. I don't want to hi-jack BigRiks thread about the Sonata-1 vs the Ortophon Black. But, if you own a MF-3 and believe it has midrange......which it does......the 8MZ will fill it out.
 
So is it a good combination or a bad one? I don't understand all these terms.


Ben aka MacKat
 
Back to the low output Sonata, as it is a MI, I doubt I can just feed it into the MC section of my pre-amp. I know Grado would happily sell me their phono stage, but what else can I use? Step up transformer?
 
Step up transformer should do the job. I have the high output Sonata and I am very happy with it. It is in a whole different league than my Red. It is extended and has a deep and detailed sound stage with gorgeous mids. My favorite cartridge of all the cartridges I have heard. Even above it's price bracket. It is simply a joy to listen too.
 
I have my Sonata Statement plugged into a Simaudio Moon 110LP. I set the gain at 60db and the loading at 47k. The combo sounds very good and not lacking in dynamics. I do have to turn the volume knob up on the Krell S-300i but that creates no problems. I like that I can have the higher gain with the loading for the MI or MM types of cartridges.
 
I bet the Jolida JD9 would work great with the LO-Sonata, as you can adjust gain and loading separately. I'm looking forward to mine, only tomorrow!


Ben aka MacKat
 
I bet the Jolida JD9 would work great with the LO-Sonata, as you can adjust gain and loading separately. I'm looking forward to mine, only tomorrow!


Ben aka MacKat



I just received an e-mail from Needle Doctor and the JD9 is on sale for $429.
 
Back to the low output Sonata, as it is a MI, I doubt I can just feed it into the MC section of my pre-amp. I know Grado would happily sell me their phono stage, but what else can I use? Step up transformer?

I really don't think a SUT is the way to go. You'll need to plug the Statement series into 47K.....(down load if needed).....60db of gain should be plenty.

DB 8HG from DB Sytems........have David build it as needed.

Or you can do like the rest of us hobo's and get the Reference Sonata-1 and not woory about gain. :thmbsp:
 
Btw, how does one tell a regular Sonata from a Sonata 1?

The original Sonata is housed in a mahogany body, the Sonata-1 in a Jarrah wood body. The stylus housing will have etched into it what stylus it is. RS-1, SS-1. The top of the body will have initials burnt into it as to what it is. RS= Reference Sonata. SS= Statement Sonata.
 
Have not heard the Grado but I have owned the 2m black. I though the 2m black was a very nice cartridge. I replaced my Ortofon 2m black with a Clearaudio Maestro. But I did really enjoy the 2m black.
 
A word of caution on the low output wood-body Grados. Before you order it you need to be sure that your MC stage can be set to a 47kohm input setting. :nono: If not, then get the high output. (Reference Sonata)
This will save you a lot of trouble!:yes:

I have the Statement-Reference. I love it.
 
A word of caution on the low output wood-body Grados. Before you order it you need to be sure that your MC stage can be set to a 47kohm input setting. :nono: If not, then get the high output. (Reference Sonata)
This will save you a lot of trouble!:yes:

I have the Statement-Reference. I love it.

what table/arm combo are you using with it?
 
Back
Top Bottom