• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

which cartridge would you choose?

I bought a 4000dI vividline but they never restocked it, they do still have DII & DIII's in stock which I'm sure are the same styli. Vivid sound real nice in Empires.
Interesting..... I'm of a mind to get one just to compare with the two Jico styli I have. I've been impressed with these.
 
I think the Vivids are unbeatable for the price. The Jico Shibata is a little more refined, but vivid is very close, and cost quite a bit less.
 
...but maybe someone knows if the V15V styli can possibly be used in the V15IV. ...
I wish! but no. The IV is reluctant to accept anything non-IV except the III. You might be able to slip an M24H stylus in there. Haven't tried that.
 
I tried my SAS for the IV in my V and it was awful. sounds great in the IV.
It shouldn't be awful awful, but it would be a teensy bit brighter in the V, and if it was already borderline bright in the IV...
 
Yea the induction is only 100 or so different but for some reason in the V it had low bass, put it back on the IV it was fine. Can't even begin to explain it but it was a real yuck experience.
 
Last edited:
Just fix cartridge brightness it with tube choice in your phono stage. Works for me ;)

Bright speakers on the other hand..... Not fixable :(
 
Just a little update, I ordered a HE stylus for the Shure V15 type 4 body I had from Jico and and I was finally able to mount and set it on to my Sansui 929 turntable. At 1.75gr this cart is really amazing, much more detailed, and focused it's seems to freshen up all my records, as if they were just recorded.
The steel guitar of Elmo James sounds as if it's right in front of me, I'll keep listening but for now.
I'll keep discovering this loved cartridge and check back in in a bit.
 
i have brand new SHURE V15 TYPE 3-HE
ON MY SECOND TT TECHNICS SL-1200MK2 WITH TECH TONEARM, WITH 0.8 GRAM OF TRACK FORCE AND IT WORK LIKE CHARM!!
PERFECT
 
given that names for cuts on styli are often under copy write and or such, HE was a name Shure came up with, another came up with Micro Line, and now Vivid Line. When looking at the tracing area specs all look the same or very close. Don't get too all caught up in the marketing name, but rather what it's profile really is.
 
I wish! but no. The IV is reluctant to accept anything non-IV except the III. You might be able to slip an M24H stylus in there. Haven't tried that.
I don't suppose you've tried yet? In another thread you mention that the N24H fits in a V15 V, but alas, I don't have one of those.
 
Good choice on the JICO VN45HE.
Love mine.
The XLM MkIII with XTIV stylus will give it a run for the money though.
It is a bit brighter but not AT bright. Same awesome soundstage.
 
I don't suppose you've tried yet? In another thread you mention that the N24H fits in a V15 V, but alas, I don't have one of those.
I did try the N24H in the V and reported on it both here and in another forum last year. I tried the N24H in the IV and it fits just fine with room to spare. Given the rarity of the N24H this is admittedly information that's not terribly useful, but there it is.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom