• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which obscure artist would you recommend?

I heard this band "City and Colour" when I went to an Alexisonfire show (there like a post hardcore band) and they blew be away. Its the lead singer of Alexisonfire's side project and its a wonderful acoustic band and Dallas Green's (hence the name City and Colour) voice is just amazing. I would recommend them to anyone!

Another band that is relatively unknown that I love is Interpol. Very good band with strong roots in Joy Division's style, but there still uniquely there own. Worth checking out if you haven't already.
 
Patty Griffin. Her first album "Living With Ghosts" was such an inspiration to me that I've given out about a dozen copies to family and friends, yet they never seem to take the time to really listen to it or appreciate it. Anyway, I'm still forever grateful to my friend Joel who turned me on to her. He was the manager at my hometown's local music store that shut down when Best Buy moved in next door.
 
Is Tindersticks an Arab Strap outcropping? Which reminds me: The Reindeer Section is quality underground pleasure pop. (I think they are somehow related to Arab Strap too)

Nope, they're their own thing. Been around since the early '90s, still around, too, and haven't strayed too far from where they began, except in the late 90s/early 2000s where they started to sound a bit more soul -influenced.

It's been forever since I've head Arab Strap, but from what little I remember, Tindersticks really aren't in the same camp. Tindersticks are very orchestral and cinematic, but soaked in whiskey and a bit of rented-room suaveness/sleaze.
 
Clive Gregson\Christine Collister any album when they were a couple(as in Romantic)Their solo stuff is good too

She has a voice to rival Karen carpenter in octave range


Big Dave Alvin fan,have all his solo stuff,all good.

My buddy Chas Guay.JD,Carl,Stearman,Tozite all have his cd. Cd is available at CDBaby
 
The Horsies
Ugly Americans
(Austin Texas)


Lil Bob & the Lolipops
Bluerunners
(Lafayette, La)

Little Queenie & the Percolators
(Earth)


Some are still around... others are no longer together as a band...
 
I know I'm like a broken record regarding this band, but I can't say enough about Stereolab. I wouldn't start with their latest album, I'd go back to "Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements", then "Dots and Loops", then "Fab Four Suture". Trust me, their discography is big enough to keep you in "new sounds" for a few years.

I'd also recommend "Imitation Electric Piano" and Josh Clayton-Felt. He was the front man for "School of Fish", and he put out a couple of solo albums before he died tragically young (health issues - not drugs or anything stupid).
 
Roger Powell. Quite an underrated keyboardist/composer. Did a lot of work with Todd Rundgren and Utopia but my favorite works are his two solo releases: Cosmic Furnace (1973) and Air Pockets (1980). I haven't heard any off his newest release Fossil Poets, but if it's anywhere as interesting as his other two, it ought to be good. He's worth a listen.
 
Depends on what you're looking for but you might check out : Shake Some Action by The Flamin' Groovies. Strange Man, Changed Man by Bram Tchaikovsky. Looks like I'm ready for some "Power Pop"!


i'll take Flamingo or Teenage Head over Shake, (although the title cut is essential). Give me the Roy A. Loney Groovies!

And while I'm at it anybody familliar with Jon Dee Graham? Absoulutely my favorite. Of all time. Really. Texas singer/songwriter/guitarist who gets lost in the Austin shuffle. Check out any of his 5 studio albums-might start with "Summertime"- all are great. He's just getting back into action after a auto crash, if you get a chance check him out live.

And while I'm still at it, Garland Jeffreys "Ghost Writer" from '77 needs to be released on cd. Or I better pick up a better vinyl copy, mines just about wore out.

mark
 
I'm a fan of Dave's with the Blasters, X, and The Knitters but have never listened to his solo work. I've been meaning to buy this one for a while so now is a good time to order it. Thanks for the reminder. :thmbsp:

Dave Alvin is the real deal! Check out "Ashgrove" although "BJD" and "King of California" rank right up there as my favorites by Alvin. If you've ever seen or heard him do "4th of July" live, you know what how special this guy is!

Mark
 
I am not sure how obscure she is here, but everyone I introduce her music to hasn't heard of her, but one listen to the CD and they are off to the music store.

Hope Waits is her name, and the name of her album.

Give it a listen - I bet her talent will impress you.
 
I know I'm like a broken record regarding this band, but I can't say enough about Stereolab. I wouldn't start with their latest album, I'd go back to "Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements", then "Dots and Loops", then "Fab Four Suture". Trust me, their discography is big enough to keep you in "new sounds" for a few years.

I'd also recommend "Imitation Electric Piano" and Josh Clayton-Felt. He was the front man for "School of Fish", and he put out a couple of solo albums before he died tragically young (health issues - not drugs or anything stupid).


Dots And Loops blew me away back in '99 and I never thought I'd dig this style of music. I am a fan for life now.

I recommend Dots And Loops to all.
 
Here are a few from me:

Centro-Matic (also South San Gabriel, same band a bit different music and Will Johnson, the singer guitar player fro Centro out solo.)

If you are into elctronica/programing

Dead Voices On Air


Download

and one more in a retro new wave vien

The Faint
 
Back
Top Bottom