• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which speakers should I match to which receiver/amp? Suggestions please.

z-adamson

Addicted Member
My line-up looks like this.

Receivers and amps:

Sansui 9090db
Onkyo TX-8500
Pioneer SX-1250
hk Citation 16a w/ hk725 preamp
Hafler DH-220 w/ hk725 preamp

Speakers:

JBL L100
Realistic Mach One
Realistic Mach Two
Sansui SP7500X
Pioneer HPM100
JBL 4311B
 
Register to hide this ad
Seeing you have all of this stuff the easiest way that I can see is for you to try all the combinations that you can yourself as this way you can hear what they sound like with your own ears instead of going by what others think.That's only their opinion and not really yours, especially if they don't have all your equipment to try or have never tried them:)
 
Seeing you have all of this stuff the easiest way that I can see is for you to try all the combinations that you can yourself as this way you can hear what they sound like with your own ears instead of going by what others think.That's only their opinion and not really yours, especially if they don't have all your equipment to try or have never tried them:)

I understand that and opinions are what I am looking for. Thanks for stating the obvious.
 
Last edited:
It won't matter too much, considering the sonic qualities of each of those vintage amps are going to vary only slightly on vintage non-revealing speakers. There's no magical combination to be had. Haha. You might as well just roll dice to decide. An honest answer probably isn't as fun for you though as you've made that obvious with your responses to the previous answers.

Those model of JBL's have a high end that some find abrasive, so I would pair those with your warmest receiver. Which is the warmest? You would have to tell us. All of those 70's amps age differently. I have heard warm 9090's and very neutral 9090's. So this is a hard game to play.

I would definitely pair the HPM's with the 1250 just because they are such a classic pairing. I love the 1250. Such a beautiful receiver.
 
How can anyone give you a valid opinion when they've never heard your system in your room. Trust in your own ears. If you can't hear a difference then it doesn't matter anyway.

Comes down to things like power handeling, efficiency etc. And that certain speakers were voiced towards certain amps/receivers and visa versa.

I always heard that Pioneer receivers were voiced to JBL of that era (70s). No idea what Onkyo and hk were voiced for. I have to assume that Sansui voiced their receivers for their speakers.

It's obvious that you cant hear all this in my room/rooms, I understand that.
 
Since this thread seems to be based in reality I need to say what I truly feel.

I've never owned a receiver and have no desire to do so. The speakers you have on hand are all speakers that I would reject immediately. Realistic Mach series all sound truly awful to me. I've never heard a Sansui speaker I wanted to listen to again. I'm not particularly fond of either JBL's as their "in your face" presentation makes me want to cut of my ears and run away. All of this is only to reinforce my original post about listening and deciding for yourself. :bigok:
 
Since this thread seems to be based in reality I need to say what I truly feel.

I've never owned a receiver and have no desire to do so. The speakers you have on hand are all speakers that I would reject immediately. Realistic Mach series all sound truly awful to me. I've never heard a Sansui speaker I wanted to listen to again. I'm not particularly fond of either JBL's as their "in your face" presentation makes me want to cut of my ears and run away. All of this is only to reinforce my original post about listening and deciding for yourself. :bigok:

In light of this and other helpful posts here I decided to do the following as a starting point...

1) Match the HPM100s and L100s with the SX-1250. Seems logical since it is these speakers that the receiver was made to work with.

2) Match the Mach Ones with the hk Citation 16a. The mach ones are a bit power hungry (low sensitivity) and can handle a lot of power due to being acoustic suspension (amongst other things). The Citation 16a puts out enough power to get them going.

3) Match the Sansui SP7500X with the Sansui 9090db. Might as well give this a try since Sansui made their receivers to work with their speakers.

4) Match the Mach Twos with the Hafler DH-220.

5) Match the Onkyo TX-8500 with the JBL 4311B.

I will use this as my starting point, switch things around as needed.

Again, thanks for the input.

I will keep you posted.
 
Last edited:
In light of this and other helpful posts here I decided to do the following as a starting point...

1) Match the HPM100s and L100s with the SX-1250. Seems logical since it is these speakers that the receiver was made to work with.

No dog in this fight, but I am curious why you opine that receiver was designed for those speakers.

Personally, I would be inclined to match speakers to the amp/receiver based on characteristics. Meaning, the most capable amp/receiver mated to the speaker that presents the most challenging load characteristics and vice versa.
 
Get yourself a back support belt and use proper lifting technique. Looks like you've got a lot of awkward lifting ahead of you.
I got myself stereo hernias from doing stuff like that.

JBL L100 - 55 lbs.
Realistic Mach One - 65 lbs.
Realistic Mach Two - 46 lbs.
Sansui SP7500X - 45 lbs. ?
Pioneer HPM100 - 59 lbs.
JBL 4311B - 42 lbs.

I guess I would have liked a suggested starting point too.
 
No dog in this fight, but I am curious why you opine that receiver was designed for those speakers.

I don't claim to know this, I simply claim to have heard and read that old Pioneer receivers were voiced to the popular JBL speakers of the time.
 
Personally, I would be inclined to match speakers to the amp/receiver based on characteristics. Meaning, the most capable amp/receiver mated to the speaker that presents the most challenging load characteristics and vice versa.

Great advice, which speakers here present the greatest load and which amp/receiver is most capable in your opinion?
 
In light of this and other helpful posts here I decided to do the following as a starting point...

1) Match the HPM100s and L100s with the SX-1250. Seems logical since it is these speakers that the receiver was made to work with.

2) Match the Mach Ones with the hk Citation 16a. The mach ones are a bit power hungry (low sensitivity) and can handle a lot of power due to being acoustic suspension (amongst other things). The Citation 16a puts out enough power to get them going.

3) Match the Sansui SP7500X with the Sansui 9090db. Might as well give this a try since Sansui made their receivers to work with their speakers.

4) Match the Mach Twos with the Hafler DH-220.

5) Match the Onkyo TX-8500 with the JBL 4311B.

I will use this as my starting point, switch things around as needed.

Again, thanks for the input.

I will keep you posted.


These are the choices I would have made.


Then.

I'd sell everything except the Pioneer SX-1250. Take the money and have that completely restored.

Then.

I'd find a nice set of Advent Heritage and Dahlquist DQM-9 and run one pair at a time on the fresh SX-1250.

Then I might stop coming around here and getting a bunch of attitude from the people here.

This place is starting to slip.
 
, but I am curious why you opine that receiver was designed for those speakers.
I would opine that it's pretty much hogwash. But, i'm sure the notion makes some folks all tingly in the mommy/daddy parts.

The speakers you have on hand are all speakers that I would reject immediately.
I agree. But ironically, a very common thread among the speakers listed by the OP is that they all perform well in the marketplace. That said, the OP has enough collateral to flip to be able to obtain a truly hifi system without spending much if any out of pocket.
 
Last edited:
Great advice, which speakers here present the greatest load and which amp/receiver is most capable in your opinion?

I don't know. It's just the methodology I would use. The stuff I own I've usually researched/read up on for impedance curves, etc. so I presume, sometimes mistakenly, others do the same. But, I understand that sort of thing isn't ways available.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom