• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which speakers should I match to which receiver/amp? Suggestions please.

No nines in the lineup (AR9, RS 9 Kappa) meh. Mix it up.
I'd spend some serious time with the Sansui/4311 and save some for the Citation/L100. The rest can go to the highest bidder.
 
Last edited:
I don't claim to know this, I simply claim to have heard and read that old Pioneer receivers were voiced to the popular JBL speakers of the time.

If my memory is correct, the Pioneer HPM series were designed to sound like JBL's (especially the L-100) of that era.
 
Supposedly designed by ?Bart Locanthi?, who was hired away from JBL. Not sure about the spelling or even the name really.

I've owned nearly all those speakers and the only keepers in the bunch for me are the Mach Twos. Those only for sentimental reasons. The ones I haven't had are the 4311Bs.
 
I'd have to pair the Pioneer receiver with the HPM's or the JBL's--it is somehow just "correct" to me. I have 3 pair of JBLs (actually 4, but the last ones don't count)--L100's and two pair of 4312C Control Monitors (one pair with the Alnico woofers and a later pair with the ferrite woofers), and I typically use them with a Yamaha CR-2020.
 
Supposedly designed by ?Bart Locanthi?, who was hired away from JBL. Not sure about the spelling or even the name really.
You're correct. He bounced around, Altec, Cetec-Gauss, JBL, Pioneer/TAD. If i had to guess, i'd say it was during the joint effort between Gauss and Optonica to build a line of studio monitors that he made his Pioneer/TAD contacts.
 
Back
Top Bottom