• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which SS Integrated Amp, modern or vintage?

PR Audio

Super Member
Hi! Usually I don't roam the SS page, as I really, really, really enjoy tubes. Anyways, today I just went ahead and traded my McIntosh MX-113 Pre/Tuner for a pair of like new, low hours, Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 speakers. I was using the pre to control a CJ KT88 power amp, but I sold it a couple of years ago, and sub with a DIY Class D 80 WPC stereo power amp (Sure Board) that I built.

To move the power hungry Venere's SF recommends a minimum of 50 WPC amplification, and I want a SS integrated amp that sounds beautiful and pairs well with the detailed and warm sound of the Venere speakers. Thinking of going the new route, as I get a remote and other modern conveniences. But, my budget of $500.00 to $600.00 max. limits my choices. Researching thought about a new NAD D3020 V2, but it's 30 WPC, though I understand it's very efficient. Also, a Rega IO, but also 30 WPC. So, not sure about those two choices.

As for vintage, I can live without a remote and I can add DAC, BT, and other peripherals later on, not sure what would be good choices that have the sound signature that I understand will pair well with the speakers.

What SS integrated amps you guys recommend? Please, no amps made with "unobtonium".
 
Register to hide this ad
I would suggest the Cambridge Audio AVR100. It was measured at 110 watts into 8 ohms & 190 watts into 4 ohms. It is available now for $425 refurbished.

PS I own the Rega io
 
I would suggest the Cambridge Audio AVR100. It was measured at 110 watts into 8 ohms & 190 watts into 4 ohms. It is available now for $425 refurbished.

PS I own the Rega io

Big fan of British and USA amps I like their sound signature of being neutral to warm. From what I have read they pair well with Sonus Faber Venere 2.0. I was also looking at Arcam SA-10 (somewhat over budget) and used Arcam A18.
 
LOL - Use what you will. There is good and bad both new and old. Although old will need rebuild to be like they were new.
Yes, that's what I think, though it is nice to have all the nice comforts of modern (remote, BT, DAC, etc.). But, like I said, I can always add peripherals with those conveniences, I already have a couple that I used with my previous vintage pre-amp.
 
I would suggest the Cambridge Audio AVR100. It was measured at 110 watts into 8 ohms & 190 watts into 4 ohms. It is available now for $425 refurbished.

PS I own the Rega io
How do you find the IO? Lots of positive reviews online - is it hype or is it really that good?
 
How do you find the IO? Lots of positive reviews online - is it hype or is it really that good?

I think it sounds ok but because of it's power, it's limited to desktop/small room application or very efficient speakers. If the power, feature set, & form factor appeal to you then it should be okay. Although, for $600, I think you will be paying a premium since it is made in the UK instead of the far east. BTW, I prefer class AB amps.
 
Last edited:
I would say that for that money you can't do better than finding a used amplifier, provided you can deal with the possibility of it breaking, etc.

A favorite of mine the NAD C270 or C370 (the integrated version). Oodles of power - 125W and lots of headroom. Older alternatives could be something like the NAD 2400/3400. Another favorite that may pair well is the NAD 7100 receiver.

All can be had for less than your price, all have remotes (or can use just about any NAD replacement remote) and bring a lot of pop for those speakers, but as the others in the thread are saying you've got a lot of great options
 
If you like Class D and IMO the tons of relatively inexpensive power available in a Class D amp then go modern. If you like Class A or Class AB and are prepared to possibly spend some money to update/rebuild a older integrated then there are some good options out there. Audio gear tends to depreciate fairly quickly and fairly steeply in most cases. I think the advances in amp technology in say the past 20 years has mostly been in Class D and Hybrid designs, so an older quality Class A or AB that has fallen in price is a very viable option to buying new IMO.
 
new but double your budget
ImgW.jpeg

used within budget, unobtanium parts but built like a tank
kenKA7300.jpg

the clean architectural layout of it's true dual mono design paying obvious homage to the legendary 600 Supreme.
6debaf45375b391120f0064318b834aa.jpg

purchased mine used 8yrs ago, the power switch finally failed about 6 months ago, with help here I was able to source a replacement on eBay and all is well again. The power switch is known to fail, but after 45yrs of service I wouldn't call it a weak link lol.

The Darlington power packs are supposedly unobtanium but are very reliable so kind of a moot point really.
 
Last edited:
You don't say what the source is. Where is the music coming from? Would think that would make a difference. Need to start with what you will plug into the integrated. What I would want for turntable would be different than CD player or DAC.
 
If you like Class D and IMO the tons of relatively inexpensive power available in a Class D amp then go modern. If you like Class A or Class AB and are prepared to possibly spend some money to update/rebuild a older integrated then there are some good options out there. Audio gear tends to depreciate fairly quickly and fairly steeply in most cases. I think the advances in amp technology in say the past 20 years has mostly been in Class D and Hybrid designs, so an older quality Class A or AB that has fallen in price is a very viable option to buying new IMO.

Great points and I like your articulation of the A and AB vs D and new.

As you say, if they "are prepared to possibly spend some money to update/rebuild a older integrated then there are some good options out there." It depends on how much tolerance/skill the person has for dealing with and fixing (or getting fixed) older equipment. I can deoxit myself, but take most anything more serious to my local repair guy. He won't do a full recap or any mods, but will bring it up to spec pretty reasonably and with a year's warranty. He also doesn't do single fixes and goes through to check the entire piece to put it into spec's. Not everyone has that willingness to deal with that (or a shop they trust nearby). But even with expected work going into an Amp, the deals can be very good for the quality, IMO

What that tolerance level is for the OP is a good question. If he's comfortable putting a bit of work into an amp, the deals can be excellent. If not, his money is better spent on something with a warranty
 
If I were looking for an integrated amp at your budget I would consider a European manufacturer as these companies dominated the integrated market for decades. Perhaps one like this Musical Fidelity. Now its a bit over budget but like new condition and a quality set of cables comes with it.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...y-m2si-low-hoursexcellent-condition-in-black/

This Arcam looks interesting also

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649702652-arcam-a90-integrated-amplifier/

Perhaps a Cambridge

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649761298-cambridge-cxa80-integrated-amplifier/


Me personally? I think the Musical Fidelity and the Arcam would be nice amplifiers to own.
 
Again, depending on age, a rebuild has to be factored into the cost as well as parts.

Yes my apologies for not making that more clear. More to that point is if someone is not skilled enough to do the work themselves then they also need to do some homework and make sure that they have a qualified tech/shop in the area that can do the upgrade/rebuild work. This can be harder than it might appear and should be factored in to the decision process. Shipping 30-45lb amps back and forth it can be expensive and you don't want to have to do it often.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom