• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who have you met?

pdm4606

Super Member
I remember way back at a hi-fi show in downtown Chicago around 1971-2.
It was the first time the show was at the Palmer house and a slew on celebrities were milling around. I met in no particular order; Paul Klipsch, Jim Lansing, Ray Dolby, Povarrotti, Rick Nelson, Vladimir Horowitz, and others that I don't remember. The recording celebs. were there at the sake of their various record companies and were in various open hotel rooms for anybody to walk up to.
Jim Lansing was in the JBL room. Dolby was an unknown and trying to sell his noise reduction system for cassette tape. Paul Klipsch was eating a sandwich and at that time unknown. I shook his hand and he asked if I knew about enclosure construction. I didn't. End of discussion. "Thanks for coming."
The show was not advertised much so attendance was low and there was time to see everything.
I remember one room where the amps were so large that the room lights were fluctuating to the bass.
I shook a lot of hands with these people and will never forget it.

One time I met Annette Funicello at a Greek restaurant in the Greek area of Chicago. I was there with a singles group for getting used to dating again after a divorce. Annette was in Greek Town with an entourage having dinner and was in Chi. for a 50-60-'s rock & roll revival show with Frankie Avalon, Fabian and a slew of vocalists of the time. She came to our table and shook everyones hands.

Paul
 
Register to hide this ad
Not sure if the Jim Lansing you mention is the Lansing of JBL fame (James B. Lansing), but he died in 1949.
 
I met Bob Carver, Sunny (sp?), the owner of Scaena loudspeakers, and one of the main guys behind DH Labs cables at Axpona 2012.
 
Here are some notables I have chatted with in person and/or have photos with:
Brian Wilson
Jan Berry & Dean Torrence
Frankie Valli
Don McLean
Cat Stevens
Bobby Vee
Chubby Checker
Danny Hutton and Cory Wells of Three Dog Night
Max Carl of Grand Funk
Commander Cody (George Frayne)
B. J. Thomas
Robert “Kool” Bell
Bob Hope
Don Shula
Bo Schembechler
Jim Northrup, Detroit Tigers outfielder (1968)
Janet Guthrie (first female Indy 500 driver)
Kylene Barker, a reigning Miss America (1979)
 
Last edited:
I have met or know:
Randy Bachman
Burton "Butch" Cummings
Gary Peterson
Jim Kale..........Original Guess Who!

Neil Young
Tom Cochrane
Lenny Breau
Fred Turner..........BTO
 
I met:
Saul Marantz
Sidney Harman
Arnie Nudell
Andy Hefley, one of the owners / engineers of GAS, is a good friend.
 
I met all the guys who walked on the Moon except Shepard and Irwin

I collect their books and autographs

I asked them about their stereos in the 60's
 
I met all the guys who walked on the Moon except Shepard and Irwin
I collect their books and autographs
I asked them about their stereos in the 60's

Awesome !! :thmbsp: Any of them have kick ass systems ?

As far as audio types go, I've chatted with:

Frank Schroeder (Schroeder tonearms)
Terry O'Sullivan (Loricraft, Garrard 301, 401 specialists)
Pierre Sprey ( Mapleshade studios)

.....all at local audio get togethers.

Supposed to meet Jeffrey Catalano (High Water Sound in NY) later today as he's doing an upgrade on a friend's Raven turntable.

Movie/TV types? Dan Blocker. (Hoss from Bonanza) Yeah.... that was a LONG time ago.
 
Last edited:
Did some printing for Aerosmith's road manager and got free tickets.

Got to hold the part while a co-worker did some repairs to Eric Clapton's jet.

Worked an auction for Habitat that included a bow and arrow from Ted Nugent and a signed hammer from Jimmy Carter.

Only one I met was future president Clinton. He was shaking everyone's hand in Williamsburg, VA. Took my hand, saw my tee shirt, pulled me off the curb into the middle of the street alone, and motioned for the video cams to focus on it. The whole time never letting go of my hand. My wife is yelling for me to take a picture with the camera in the other hand but I was completely stupefied. My 15 secs. of fame.
 
Peter Fonda
Susan George
Adam Roarke
Vic Morrow
Kenneth Tobey
Roddy McDowall
Lynn Borden
Adrianne Herman
James W. Gavin
Cloris Leachman
Jim Plunkett
Hubert Humphrey
George Peppard
Red Adair
Dolly Parton
Porter Wagoner

The killer - met most of them as an auditor for Holiday Inns in the early 70s. An up-and-coming rock group was staying at the local HI, and was doing a concert at the local Civic Auditorium. They had just hired a new female singer. She invited me up to a party in their suite after the concert, but I declined to go, since they were not that well known at the time.

It was Stevie Nix and Fleetwood Mac. DAMN!!!:tears:
 
Malford Milligan (Stick People, Storyville). Really nice man, but not very famous.
Charlie Casserly is the most famous person I've met. He is formerly the GM of the Washington Redskins and subsequently the Houston Texans. Now he is a commentator on NFL network.
 
I did some work at Tom Benson's Home and was at Craig Steltz's (LSU and Bears player) wedding. Not significant to most here, but in a span of a few days, I got to try on Benson's Saints Super Bowl Ring, and Craig's LSU National Championship Ring. Which for a New Orleans boy is as good as it gets!!!
 
Met Houston Oilers receiver Willie Drewery at a party one night. It came as a shock how little he was but his thing was running FAST.
 
Paul Newman, Bonnie Raitt, Mario Andretti, Leon Redbone, Richard Lewis, AJ Foyt
 
Last edited:
I met Alec Baldwin at the SLC airport where he was waiting for a flight. It was early in his career. He was really friendly and told me how he had just finished a movie with Michael Keaton titled Beetlejuice.

My heartbreaker involved my mother-in-law. She lived in NJ and she called us up in Utah and during the conversation she mentioned that her stepson, who owned a store, had a rock group come in to buy some things. He hit it off with the band and invited them to my mother-in-law's house for a barbeque. They spent the afternoon and my MIL said they were gentlemen. I asked her what was the name of the group. She couldn't remember and I could hear her asking the stepson. She came back on the phone. "They said they were the Kinks". I cried that night.
 
1982 Holiday Inn Surfside Daytona Beach

I brought Linda Vaughn room service . :yes:
I was a bartender and used to work with Tawney Peaks who was a waitress at Rogers Roost in Warren Mi circa 1988.I knew her by another name.
Expect adult content if you do a search on her. . :smoke:
 
Last edited:
I met Senator Howard Baker once at a party. The guy was TINY, like under 5'5" or so. In those days, I was in the Lincoln Owners' Club & knew he was, too-He was into the 1958-60 models. I mentioned this to him, & he lit up & we talked cars for quite awhile. I think it was refreshing for him to talk to somebody about something besides politics..
 
That's cool! So,...what about the stereos?

Me to Astronaut - "Yeah yeah yeah I know all about your freakin moon mission "What kind of speakers did you have 60 years ago?"

Most of them just looked at me in confusion.

The only one who could really talk about his stereo back in the 60's was Scott Carpenter who had Scott and Mac gear.

Seemed they all had consoles most did not pay attention to what kind

I was a little disappointed because I thought they were all mid century modern jet set party Sophistos


But mention Corvettes and they ALL remember
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom