• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who have you met?

I met Eric Johnson at my wife's high school reunion, 1995 I think. Nanci Griffith did not show up that night.
 
Judas Priest
Some St Louis Cardinals football players when i was a kind back in 76
BB King
Blackfoot
Worked on a Porsche 930 owned by Frank Beard
And a few other retired football players, just cant remember their names.
 
I had a nice chat with John Denver while running his carry-on baggage through the x-ray machine at a security check-point where I was working in the early 80s. He was very interested in seeing the internal structure of his guitar on my monitor. It was extremely gracious of him to spend 10 minutes of his time talking guitars with a scruffy, teenaged, airport screener in a ridiculous red, white and blue suit. Perhaps he felt sorry for me.

A long, dense, sinister-looking object on my x-ray monitor once turned out to be a chromatic harmonica. I didn't recognize its owner as Toots Thielemans until he played a few bars of the theme to Sesame Street right there at the check-point for me. That was cool.

I also had the rare opportunity to pat down Frank Perdue. It was a little embarrassing for both of us. He had an artificial leg that set off the metal detector.

But my Dad, who also worked at the airport, had the best stories about his "girlfriends", Linda Carter and Lindsay Wagner. I think my brother still has the frame he used to keep on his desk that contains both their photos mounted back-to-back, both very alluringly inscribed to him personally.
 
I met Vic Edelbrock Jr. and talked to his daughter Camee a little at an auto race a few years ago.
 
Only person like that I met was Kinky Friedman..... Does he count?

As a Texan, I say yes it does.


I can't figure out if this is a famous audio person thread, or just famous people in general.


As far as audio, the only notable person I have met is Danny Richie. He owns GR Research (speaker kits) and does a fair amount of design consulting for other speaker manufacturers.

I went to college near him. Got in contact through a mutual friend. Went to his house to listen to his work. He ended up selling me a pair of demo speakers for next to nothing. Super cool guy that I owe for getting my into this hobby.
 
I've met almost nobody famous in person.

I met Virgil Thompson back when I was in high school. He was an artist in residence at the Park-McCullough (sp?) house near Bennington Vermont. I did a lot of photography for local groups, and did one of him at the piano. It wasn't a great shot, but it got published in the paper. I still have the negative somewhere.

Robert Frost came to our classroom way back in elementary school, as did, I think, Arthur Rubinstein.
 
My best and coolest experience was with my highschool girlfriend. Her dad was first cousins with Steven Stills, and they grew up together in southern Illinois. She used to tell me stories about how the band would stay at her house back in the day when they were touring and going through St. Louis. Anyway, Steven brought his tour bus over to the house, and I got to tour it (Up In Smoke was playing on the TV...I thought that was the coolest thing ever:thmbsp:). We got front row tickets to the CSNY concert that weekend, and backstage passes. I got to eat dinner with all of the guys, they all signed my pass, and hung out in Steven's dressing room drinking his Beck's. I also got to hang out with Neil's son a good part of the night. An awesome show, and unforgettable time that I will always remember.
 
Hmm

Richard Pryor
Grace Slick
Jr. Brown
Neil Young
Van Alstine
almost Reba McIntyre (I was leaning on the stage and we made eye contact for a millisecond) :drool:
 
What a cool thread... and I'm guessing it's just anyone famous that will qualify .... list to come - but probably won't be very impressive.
 
Met Sadao Wantanabe (Japan's John Coltrane) in the early 80s in southern Japan. Had a couple beers with him in a very small Rock and Roll bar which was around the corner from the Jazz Club he was really visiting. Sadao was the best! Great guy.

and...
A few feet from Richard Nixon and Pres. Marcos.
Met Journey
Can't remember the rest.

Never really met any personalities I guess. Didn't hang in that circle.

Met the guy with the 'big nose' on MASH, the TV show! He was cool too!!! Right on guy.
 
Last edited:
I've met:
Robert Plant (2x) Nice guy, great sense of humor
Lyle Lovett (several times) very nice guy, very funny and a fantastic memory for names and faces.
Mike Stern (guitarist with Blood, Sweat and Tears also Joni Mitchell and Miles Davis among others). Serious student of the instrument.
 
***
• Earl Campbell - met him several times and waited on him at a convention
• Also played backyard/flag football with two of his brothers.
• Carole Keeton Strayhorn
• Randy White – Dallas Cowboys – ran into him at a buffet restaurant
• Bum Phillips – filled up is car – had a chat
• Kevin Von Erich – waited on him and a woman which I assumed to be his wife
• Several Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders – shooting music video
• Charlie Sexton or Will Sexton – I never knew which one
• Don Felder – Eagles – didn’t really meet he was just sitting at the next table at “Club” in Austin
• Billy Powell - Keyboard player – Lynard Skynard
• Jimmy Walker (Dynomite!) – Las Vegas – we were both waiting on valet parking to bring our cars
• Sandra Bullock – she was walking out of a shopping mall – I was walking in
• Simon Le Bon – Duran Duran
• Nick Rhodes – Duran Duran
• Joe Travers – Drummer for Zappa and many others
• Warren Cuccurullo – Guitarist
• Jon Anderson - Yes – very brief – I was a bystander actually
• Britt Daniel – Spoon / Devine Fits
• Various Contemporary Christian Artists that you’ve probably never heard of…
• And studio musicians, singers…

That’s all I can think of at the moment.
***
 
I forgot about Roberto Clemente - I used to park his car, oh,and Bill Mazeroski
 
Well, we got THAT in common. :smoke:

Yeh, he was playing a little joint here in KS called Ruby's Roadhouse. Sounds perfect don't it?:D First time I ever went out back of a joint and hung out by the bus. Sure enough, here he came after the show. Just as normal a guy as you would ever meet. We talked for awhile and I let him go, I didn't want to be a pest. His wife was with him too, playing acoustic rhythm.
 
Have met some famous & some infamous folks.

Deng Xiaoping
Zhao Ziyang
Martha Stewart
Carl Ichan served me a hamburger once at a school fundraiser
Larry Flynt (ran over my foot with his gold-plated chair)
Bought a crazy-looking slight blonde girl a beer at a beach bar in Puerto Rico some time ago - my friends later told me it was Pink.

Many clients I have met are I guess famous - they just want to be left alone & treated, well, like anyone else.

Most memorable have to do with aviation -

Met a supplier of ours who not only owned a SPAD, but had flown with Lindbergh. In a Cub

Neil Armstrong
Joe Kittinger
Gen. Chuck Yeager
Bud Anderson
Several pilot / authors from WW2 at OSH / EAA

Audio / Music - Chatted with David Byrne at an anti-nuke rally in NYC in 1980
Chatted with Phillip Glass for 10 min once.... he said the same thing over and over and over....


Met Cole Palen when I was a tyke - I remember asking him if he planned doing what he did for many more years as I wanted to work at his Aerodrome. He said yes, but I have not made that jump yet and he has passed -

4027850655_631f53d880_m.jpg



wiki Cole_Palen
He was one of a kind.......
 
Back
Top Bottom