• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who Makes a Great Flat EQ Phono Preamp?

dbxdx5

Super Member
I've come across two brands so far: The Bellari VP530 and those sold by Tracertek. Ideally, I'd like a phono preamp that has an array of adjustable EQ curves for 78s, a la the Graham Slee Jazz or KAB Souvenir, but these are out of my budget. So instead I'd like to go with a phono preamp that allows me to run the signal straight through without equalization, so then the only thing I need to do in the digital domain is apply the correct 78 EQ curve with software like Brian Davies' Equalizer. And before everyone tells me that I can just use a regular phono preamp that applies RIAA equalization and then reverse it digitally, I know that, but I would rather limit the amount of digital processing I'm doing to the signal. :yes:
 
Register to hide this ad
http://www.diamondcut.com/store/ind...Path=3&zenid=3b18e24a92e664f7cbf21a63c224839c

I use a modified JLTI phono with switchable RIAA EQ - but that is more than 10x the price of the CTP1000...

That's the thing: All of the new phono preamps that include 78 curves are priced ridiculously high for the actual engineering that goes into them. While I understand that there's a limited market for these phonos and therefore they have to be priced higher than usual to make up for what they won't sell in quantity, prices in the $1500 + range make them impossible for the typical enthusiast to afford. Ok, I'm done complaining. :D

Now back to my original question: Are there any good quality phono stages that offer defeatable RIAA eq? David: The one you linked to on Diamond Cut is the same one sold by Tracertek that I mentioned above. Is this and Bellari all that are out there?
 
They are not, they are aimed at archivists and vintage disc nuts. The other options are professional studio or vintage high end and cost far more in nice condition. Meaning you don't get good options for Behringer prices (and I refuse to buy Behringer gear). But by comparison to the rest of many systems used by pros who do disc transfers often not very bad.
 
They are not, they are aimed at archivists and vintage disc nuts. The other options are professional studio or vintage high end and cost far more in nice condition. Meaning you don't get good options for Behringer prices (and I refuse to buy Behringer gear). But by comparison to the rest of many systems used by pros who do disc transfers often not very bad.

I really do understand. I just needed to vent that it's basically an all-or-nothing scenario: Either spend a lot and get nice stuff or spend significantly less and get, well, garbage. Anyway, I really don't want to get off track here. Let's stick to my original post. :thmbsp:
 
um... if you don't want any RIAA curve, why not just plug the table directly into an aux jack of your amp or preamp?

Am I missing something here thinking on this line? Using a phono pre that has no RIAA seems then it's just a regular pre-amp then, and if you have a stereo, you should have that.. a regular pre..
 
um... if you don't want any RIAA curve, why not just plug the table directly into an aux jack of your amp or preamp?

Am I missing something here thinking on this line? Using a phono pre that has no RIAA seems then it's just a regular pre-amp then, and if you have a stereo, you should have that.. a regular pre..

Cartridge loading... but then... what cart are you going to be using for these 78s anyway?

Totally separate from that, I don't think you should worry too much about the possiblity of extra digital processing. Good digital EQ is miles and miles beyond the fidelity level of a 78.
 
Cartridge loading... but then... what cart are you going to be using for these 78s anyway?

Totally separate from that, I don't think you should worry too much about the possiblity of extra digital processing. Good digital EQ is miles and miles beyond the fidelity level of a 78.

Sigh. . . no one wants to answer my original question. :scratch2:

There are a number of cartridges and stylii for 78s. Right now I'm using a Stanton 500 with a Rek-O-Kut Elliptical 78 stylus. Grado also makes their own 78 setup. As for the digital processing, I already said I wanted to avoid that as much as possible, but you're assuming I didn't have a good reason. It's not about 78 fidelity vs. digital fidelity but rather about making a digital copy that's as true to the original analog content of the 78 as possible-within my budget constraints.

So, um, anyone out there know of any good phono stages that allow you to bypass the RIAA? :D
 
um... if you don't want any RIAA curve, why not just plug the table directly into an aux jack of your amp or preamp?

Am I missing something here thinking on this line? Using a phono pre that has no RIAA seems then it's just a regular pre-amp then, and if you have a stereo, you should have that.. a regular pre..

Preamp is somewhat of a generic term. Regular preamp (line level) and phone preamp are the same in terms of the level of the input signal.

The OP did not state what he will be using for a phono cartridge. But if it is a MM cartridge, in general the output level will be 5 mV or less.

The input level for a line level signal like an AUX input is much higher.

To raise the 5 mV level to a 500 mV line level would take about 40dB more gain.

And as has been mentioned, correct cartridge loading would be an issue.

All you really need is a simple preamp with about 40 dB of gain and the proper loading for your phono cartridge. Since the 78s will be monaural, only one channel will be needed.

If you were to use a ceramic cartridge then you could plug the turntable into the AUX input.

And you will want to choose the correct stylus for this application.
 
Sigh. . . no one wants to answer my original question. :scratch2:

There are a number of cartridges and stylii for 78s. Right now I'm using a Stanton 500 with a Rek-O-Kut Elliptical 78 stylus. Grado also makes their own 78 setup. As for the digital processing, I already said I wanted to avoid that as much as possible, but you're assuming I didn't have a good reason. It's not about 78 fidelity vs. digital fidelity but rather about making a digital copy that's as true to the original analog content of the 78 as possible-within my budget constraints.

So, um, anyone out there know of any good phono stages that allow you to bypass the RIAA? :D

Your are letting the term "phono pre" limit your options.

Once one removes the RIAA EQ it is no longer a phono preamp, but simply a preamp. You would need a simple preamp with about 40 dB of gain.
This can be had with a single integrated circuit.

For a stand alone unit you could use one of the less expensive phono preamps that use passive RIAA EQ and simply bypass the RIAA EQ section.

You have a lot of simple and not overly expensive solutions to choose from.
 
Last edited:
Another solution is to plug your turntable into a cassette deck or a small mixer (ie: something with an input gain control), and then run the output from that device into your digital capture device (CD recorder, computer, etc.).
 
For a stand alone unit you could use one of the less expensive phono preamps that use passive RIAA EQ and simply bypass the RIAA EQ section.

This is the type of information (and education) I was hoping for! Thanks for expanding the range of solutions. However, the question is still similar to the original one, albeit more specific: What's a great phono preamp (under $500) that uses passive RIAA eq and would allow me to bypass the eq section?
 
Hear is an example of a simple way to due what you want to do.

http://sound.westhost.com/project91.htm

This is simply his Project 06 phono preamp with switchable or flat response.

You could build as is and use his various EQs or build it with out the switchable EQ provisions.

Easy to build and not all that expensive.
 
This is the type of information (and education) I was hoping for! Thanks for expanding the range of solutions. However, the question is still similar to the original one, albeit more specific: What's a great phono preamp (under $500) that uses passive RIAA eq and would allow me to bypass the eq section?

Since you want to stay with a phono preamp, are you wanting to be able to use it as a regular phono preamp with the rest of your system in addition to being able to use it as a flat preamp?
 
Hear is an example of a simple way to due what you want to do.

http://sound.westhost.com/project91.htm

This is simply his Project 06 phono preamp with switchable or flat response.

You could build as is and use his various EQs or build it with out the switchable EQ provisions.

Easy to build and not all that expensive.

Thanks JBL Guy. I've been thinking of going that route, though I'd still like to hear about a few specific "already-built" options that people have had good experience with.
 
Back
Top Bottom