• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who Makes a Great Flat EQ Phono Preamp?

Since you want to stay with a phono preamp, are you wanting to be able to use it as a regular phono preamp with the rest of your system in addition to being able to use it as a flat preamp?

Yes, sorry I didn't make myself more clear: I want the option of being able to use RIAA eq.
 
Yes, sorry I didn't make myself more clear: I want the option of being able to use RIAA eq.
Maybe ask if Hagerman will make you a bugle with a switch to bypass the RIAA? I guess making a box for a bugle isn't really any easier than figuring out how to add a bypass to any existing phono pre, though.
 
Recording

Sigh. . . no one wants to answer my original question. :scratch2:

There are a number of cartridges and stylii for 78s. Right now I'm using a Stanton 500 with a Rek-O-Kut Elliptical 78 stylus. Grado also makes their own 78 setup. As for the digital processing, I already said I wanted to avoid that as much as possible, but you're assuming I didn't have a good reason. It's not about 78 fidelity vs. digital fidelity but rather about making a digital copy that's as true to the original analog content of the 78 as possible-within my budget constraints.

So, um, anyone out there know of any good phono stages that allow you to bypass the RIAA? :D
I do exactly what you're talking about doing. I use the flat preamp from Tracertek at the moment. It sounds pretty good, but it's hard to get rid of the noise. They aren't well shielded.

If you're not aware, you'd only record acoustics without applying some EQ. Electrical 78's have turnover frequencies and high frequency attenuation. Diamond Cut software gives you a couple of options to address this. There are presets in their parametric equalizer, or they have virtual preamp with a generic setting that works in most cases.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can go to the Hagerman site and it has instructions, including the needed parts, for a Bugle Pro, which allows you to dial in various settings, including RIAA. It begins with a Bugle kit and you add the needed resistors, capacitors and rotary switches.

It's worth the effort to record flat and EQ in software.
 
Well, I am one myself and transfer archival material as part of my job. I even own a 16" capable tonearm and a SP-25 transcription motor unit at home.
 
Since we're talking 78's, many of the vintage mono preamps had multiple EQ's for the various standards of the time.

What he said. An old mono tube section with swuitch or plug selctable curves. They were are out there. A few have shown up on this site. I think Setchel-Carlson made a very nice one. But it's been so long since I messed with that old tube stuff I can't remember.

I'd post another thread about 78 phono sections and ask about selectable curves? I'll bet you'll get 10 to look for :scratch2:
 
What he said. An old mono tube section with swuitch or plug selctable curves. They were are out there. A few have shown up on this site. I think Setchel-Carlson made a very nice one. But it's been so long since I messed with that old tube stuff I can't remember.

I'd post another thread about 78 phono sections and ask about selectable curves? I'll bet you'll get 10 to look for :scratch2:

There are lots out there that don't have Mc or Citation prices attached, however, it sounds like he wants to eq digitally, so something with enough gain and no eq at all is probably the solution.
 
Another alternative:

The e-mu 1616m soundcard/dock...

The soundcard is external, and therefore away from the noise and hash in the PC.

It has a standard (and quite reasonable) phono RIAA EQ input, and it also has 2 high impedance microphone inputs.

I used the microphone inputs, along with loading plugs and some adapters, as a a flat gain stage.
The fact that it has high impedance (1M ohm) allows you to adjust the cartridge loading externally ( standard being 47k.... but you can then tailor the sound and optimise the cartridge by varying that!)

It also sells for reasonable $ and is a very high quality ADC (analogue to digital converter) and DAC - very versatile unit!

bye for now

David
 
There are lots out there that don't have Mc or Citation prices attached, however, it sounds like he wants to eq digitally, so something with enough gain and no eq at all is probably the solution.

Can you recall what any of them are? The only ones I've been coming across are fairly pricey. And no, I don't want to do eq digitally, but it's been looking like the most financially feasible option.
 
Can you recall what any of them are? The only ones I've been coming across are fairly pricey. And no, I don't want to do eq digitally, but it's been looking like the most financially feasible option.

Quad 22 (stereo), Quad 11 (mono), Leak preamps (the mono ones have the eq adjustments). Just about any US-made mono preamp from the 60s and earlier. Eico, Heathkit, Dynaco and others will do. Have a nosey at our favorite auction site. Look at the vintage preamps and you'll probabaly come up with something to meet your needs.
 
Quad 22 (stereo), Quad 11 (mono), Leak preamps (the mono ones have the eq adjustments). Just about any US-made mono preamp from the 60s and earlier. Eico, Heathkit, Dynaco and others will do. Have a nosey at our favorite auction site. Look at the vintage preamps and you'll probabaly come up with something to meet your needs.

That is a good idea. But the OP needs to be aware that gear of that vintage may well need some TLC before it is ready to use and that can run into some time and money.

Time and patience might turn up piece of older piece of gear that is plug and play ready for a good price.

If I was going to do this, I would want a modern piece of gear that is plug and play ready. The OP mentioned two pieces of gear in his first post that would do exactly what he wants to do.

Would an older piece of gear in plug and play condition sound better? Maybe?

Would it be as cost affective? Maybe?

This does not mean that I might not build what I need.

In fact for me, that would be the easiest option and the most cost affective.

It depends on what the OP is the most comfortable doing.
 
Digital EQ with a quality new preamp is likely to introduce the least distortion/error to the signal. I think the OP was on the right track from the get-go here, even though I was really being a pest about it until I figured out what the goal was.
 
Rek-O-Kut has a pre-amp that is switchable to RIAA and 78 EQ. It is like 90 dollars USA. They also have a Re-Equalizer that is less than 400 US Dollars. Audacity (free to download) has several filters you can run on the recorded sound that will remove the RIAA if you used an RIAA curve. This is done by inverting the RIAA curve. Then you can apply one of several different curves that are set for various labels. You can find these to download from their help file online. You can also create your own curves for your liking. I have used Audacity to correct several recordings I have made with my RIAA eq, to the NAB curve, which is what I was used to hearing them on, as I was a Top 40 (more like Top 20) jock back in the 70's. The Audacity is the best place to start IMHO as it is free to download, and relative cost is only time.
 
Back
Top Bottom