• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who still listens to vinyl?

analog addict

Glory or Death!
Subscriber
Let her have it Boys!...:D

Time to get AK some free airtime....:thmbsp:


http://ireport.cnn.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?topicId=476632&hpt=Mid

nashskycoverjpg-1382302_md.jpg

CNN iReport intern Carly Costello shares one of her favorite albums, Nashville Skyline by Bob Dylan.


Who still listens to vinyl?


I've been a music lover for as long as I can remember. I’ve been to more than 100 concerts, I own too many CDs and have more music in my iTunes than I can listen to in 194 days. But since I was born at the end of the vinyl era, I never got to experience recorded music in its original form. My only encounter with vinyl was seeing my parent’s and older brother’s albums collect dust in the basement.



Lately I've been dusting off the giant discs and starting my own little collection, but have yet to rescue the record player from storage to play them. Honestly, I’m not totally convinced why I need to listen to vinyl since I have all my music stashed digitally at my fingertips.



So I’m on a quest to find out who still listens to and collects vinyl and why.

Here's the assignment:
Send CNN iReport your story and at least two photos: One of your collection and one of you with your favorite album.



Your stories and photos could be part of a CNN.com story, and maybe someone can convince me to get the record player out of storage.
 
Register to hide this ad
Let her have it Boys!...:D

Time to get AK some free airtime....:thmbsp:


So I’m on a quest to find out who still listens to and collects vinyl and why.

Here's the assignment:
Send CNN iReport your story and at least two photos: One of your collection and one of you with your favorite album.



Your stories and photos could be part of a CNN.com story, and maybe someone can convince me to get the record player out of storage.

Oh man are they in for a shock from THIS particular lunatic fringe! :banana:
Hopefully they don't write us off as a bunch of nuts. :D
 
Send them a link to here.

A good side question could be "Who is actually going into stores and buying CDs new, and why?"
 
Yikes, danger Will Rogers!!

Well if you listen to vinyl you might recognize that reference. Any way I am finding it increasingly difficult to find inexpensive, used vinyl. So I would say that a lot of people are starting to listen to it now - driving up prices.

As an example I have been regularly visiting Ameoba - Berkeley. They had a large selection of used, dollar jazz vinyl. A couple of weeks ago it all disappeared. I recently purchased a few rock records and asked - 'What happened to the Jazz dollar vinyl?" "oh", said the clerk, "some guy from Asia comes here regularly and buys our complete stock of used vinyl and sells it at home for (pause) ... 7x the purchase price here. they don't have a lot of vinyl there."

I think that the proper response to Carly (of CNN) is that listening to vinyl is stupid and it will make you UGLY. Danger Will Rogers!!!
 
Yikes, danger Will Rogers!!

Well if you listen to vinyl you might recognize that reference. Any way I am finding it increasingly difficult to find inexpensive, used vinyl. So I would say that a lot of people are starting to listen to it now - driving up prices.

As an example I have been regularly visiting Ameoba - Berkeley. They had a large selection of used, dollar jazz vinyl. A couple of weeks ago it all disappeared. I recently purchased a few rock records and asked - 'What happened to the Jazz dollar vinyl?" "oh", said the clerk, "some guy from Asia comes here regularly and buys our complete stock of used vinyl and sells it at home for (pause) ... 7x the purchase price here. they don't have a lot of vinyl there."

I think that the proper response to Carly (of CNN) is that listening to vinyl is stupid and it will make you UGLY. Danger Will Rogers!!!


It isn't that we don't have vinyl in Asia. :no: It's that we have a lot of people here who appreciate it, so the demand for good vinyl borders on the insatiable. If you look around my apartment, and then imagine that only 1/2 of 1 percent of the (huge) population here shares such demand for vinyl, you'll soon realize that it's like great black (vinyl) hole! ...
:D

Fortunately, lately I've managed (after several months of "dry spell" to find a few decent sources. It's getting very competitive and increasingly difficult to find real bargains, though.


I imagine the more things there are like that CNN article, the more people will start getting (back) into vinyl. The more people who do that, the more coverage there will be about it in the media. At some point it could reach the critical "tipping point" and become a self-sustaining growing spiral (if it hasn't yet).
 
I never made the transition to CD's. They always sounded a bit "flat" to me. Maybe not the best word, but something definately seemed to be missing as compared to vinyl.

How is it possible that Analog Addict listens to Digital?!?

//Smorgy
 
How is it possible that Analog Addict listens to Digital?!?

//Smorgy

How is it people who like good food go to macdonalds? for a quick and easy fix, doesn't mean they like it just enough to get them through to their next meal.

my .02c
 
I bought... let's see... 8 CDs in the last 5 years - but ~ 1000 LPs. LPs actual > 3k, CDs around 800, like ten years ago...
 
Not too bright if she has managed to miss the fact vinyl never went away.

It went away for me (and lots of other people too). I only got back into it because I was looking for an artist whose complete work never made it to CD. It was only through this experience that I realized how much fun vinyl is.

I guess I'm not too bright either.:tears:
 
"Lately I've been dusting off the giant discs and starting my own little collection, but have yet to rescue the record player from storage to play them."

I'm kind of confused. Who drags out vinyl and doesn't even have something to play it on? Does she believe that vinyl is a visual experience????

So instead of getting a record player out she writes a story.

Maybe Michael Fremer will straighten her out.
 
I've had a turntable in my system since I was 13. When cd's came along I built up a collection, but never did away with my records, I still buy both Lp's and cd's, plus a handful of sacd's . To start an Lp collection from scratch now would be hard for me, but if you've got records why not play them? For me to get the sound of how something was, or more specifically how I remember it, I play the record, sometimes the cd is'nt how I remember it. I like the labels, jackets, even the smell. All the formats are capable of great sound.
 
I even have books with album covers...

Somehow, the turntable never left my install. Always had one, and I suspect it will be getting even more use in the future.
 
Back
Top Bottom