• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who still uses vintage Magnavox CD players?

two CDB500 with swing arm lasers in the drawer.........dual 1543 DAC's and both sound as good or better than anything I've heard:thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • DSCF3702.jpg
    DSCF3702.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Still using my CDB460 that I've had since new and I picked up a CDB465 variant on the cheap with a transport problem. All it needed was a belt!
 
I just picked up a very nice CDB 482 for the garage where I listen quite a bit during the warmer weather months. Can definitely tell a difference between this and a cheap DVD player I had doing the same function. So far quite impressed and thinking now about bringing it in the house for the winter season.
 
My work stereo (currently in a box because I'm without an office) is a CDB 490. My first CD player was a CDB 650 bought used from The Audible Difference in Palo Alto. Over the years, I auditioned a lot of CD players hoping to upgrade to something with a "name", but didn't end up replacing it until the display flat-out failed on me. I replaced it with a California Audio Labs DX-1, which I have to this day.

For work, the 490 is paired with a Dynaco Stereo 70 and some home-grown speakers. It's a nice little setup. I've never A/B'ed the 490 and the DX-1, however.

Fred
 
I still have a nice running Magnavox CDB460 CD player that I purchased new in March of 1988.
I'm STILL kicking myself for NOT buying a working Magnavox CDB560 that was listed on flea-bay last week of a BIN of $45.
Having an extra laser, transport, and TDA 1491 chip are worth more that that, IMO.

Steve
 
I have three Magnavox players, though only the CDB-502 is in a system at present. I'm considering putting the CDB-650 back into my big system when I get some free time. That would leave the CDB-460 as my only vintage Magnavox player not in use.
 
I oughta kick my butt and do some mods on the CDB-502 and take it to new heights. Would be a good winter project.

az
 
I have a cdb-650 that stops working every now and then. When it doesn't work, the disc just spins real fast. I discovered that if I press down anywhere on the main board to make it flex, it starts working. I'm guessing a cold solder joint on that board.:dunno:

I replaced a cap on the board under the transport after I read it was prone to failure. I also replaced all the wires on the large harness. No dice.

I'd like to fix it someday because it does sound nice.
 
I'm loving my Maggie CDB-492 and its sounds quite good. Full bodied sound, nice detail, pretty decent layering of instruments & sound stage.

I think these vintage Magnavox (Philips) were supposed to be fairly good but I didn't expect this. This model has the desireable Philips CDM4/19 transport and Philips TDA1543 dual DAC. All in all I'm liking playing some CDs again.
 
I know that the old 80's Magnavox CD players were known to be substantially improved by modding/tweaking.
However, when you're talking about a 25 year-old CD player.
You are probably better off just doing an A-to-Z refurbishment, along with the 'tweaks'.

Steve
 
Hello audio addicts!!
I'm wondering if other people on this forum are using 1980's vintage Magnavox CD players?
I bought my Magnavox CDB460 CD player new in March of 1988.
Very punchy and dynamic, plus it will track anything!
I am still using it to this day...........................

Steve :thmbsp: :music:

Yep! Still got mine! :thmbsp:

My Magnavox is a CDB650 that I bought new back in the 80's. I purchased it to upgrade from my first-generation Sony CDP-101 that I also bought new. Being the equipment accumulator that I am, I've still got both of them and use them upon occassion.
 
I've an FD-2040 in my pile-o'-stufff needing TLC that I'm having a hard time taking it seriously enuff to deal with. Other than the heavy 'brick outhouse' construction can anyone suggest any good reason I should bother with it?
I'm using a C-A 540D multi-mode DVD and Pioneer Elite DV-45A multi-mode DVD as CD players in my active systems at present, relatively RF quiet and remote operated with tolerable sound.
 
Last edited:
I used to run a CDB500......now I run two of them and switch them thru the dbx 400 mounted directly above them:thmbsp:

I added the rack mount ears to match my othe gear in the rack and to hold the light weights sold when I push the buttons.......:D
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0627.jpg
    DSCF0627.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 45
Just acquired a CDB500 after a long hunt for a 1541A/1543 dual DAC on chip based player and decided to recap and substitute op amps right away.

Recapped with same values except main PS cap that bumped up to 4700uf from 3300 and noticed an apparent improvement in low end clarity and punch. I haven't measured the old ones, but because of the improvement,I'm assuming they were ready for replacement

Installed DIP8 sockets but picked up the wrong op amps, AD825 singles;I did get four so I'm just waiting on a set of adapters. Also have some AD827 duals coming, even faster slew rate than the 825. The story is that the upper frequencies will also be improved. I'm very curious to see if that is true.

If this works, I've got a Philips CD160 that will get the same treatment. It's a 1541 shared DAC and uses the 7220 filter chip
 
I've still got the following: FD2040 (14bit 4x Oversampling) in computer room along with a Philips CD-60 which took top billing in main listening room after having a Philips CD 50 which now is in bedroom. The main room originally had a CDB-430 which, along with a CDB490 sits on a shelf, waiting for a bigger house.
 
Picked up this FD-1010 @ the GW the other day ($9). I've not had a CDP in the system for a very long time, as I care a good deal about asthetics, and most CDP's are ugly black boxes.

Quoting J. Gordon Holt:

This is the smallest and by all accounts the cutest-looking CD player yet. It has a high degree of what I call "wantability"—you just look at it and you want to take it home.

Indeed. Been listening for a few days, and finding the sound, and the look, appealing. Build quality is not lacking, either.

1339556759124.jpg
 
I have a pair of their early CD players with the transports a number of other companies used in making their high priced offerings. I do not use CDs much so the sit more oft than naught gathering dust.
 
I have a pair of their early CD players with the transports a number of other companies used in making their high priced offerings. I do not use CDs much so the sit more oft than naught gathering dust.

You may to have a peek at what these are going for on fleabay. I was pleasantly suprised. :yikes:
 
Back
Top Bottom