• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who would have been making these in the late 70's/80's

Caryw

Super Member
I acquired a nice set of monster speakers, did my internet research and came up with

Not much.

I know of 3 exact pairs of these. One is on another site, refered to as Kornzillas and described as reboxed Cornwalls. Then there is my set that is identical except for the lovely slathering of white latex over the walnut and then a Craigslist ad out of the DFW area. All 3 pairs can be traced to the Dallas area but no other markings besides Frazier woofers. The Frazier ex emoployees say they are in no way Fraziers. So we know that somebody in the Dallas area, around the time Frazier was selling/changing owners was buying 15" woofers.

Anybody remeber the DFW high end audio scene in the late 70's early 80's?

Mine were in a couple million dollar lakehouse that was built in the 70's and knowing the guy that built it, somebody convinced him they were the best and expensive

Ideas?

Random pics are of all 3 sets.
 

Attachments

  • spk1.jpg
    spk1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 148
  • spk2.jpg
    spk2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 226
  • spk3.jpg
    spk3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 102
  • fz1.jpg
    fz1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 390
  • fz3.jpg
    fz3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 186
Register to hide this ad
more. These are extremely well built and HEAVY
 

Attachments

  • fz2.jpg
    fz2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 81
  • fz4.jpg
    fz4.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 108
  • kz1.jpg
    kz1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 171
  • kz2.jpg
    kz2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 95
I also thought the horns looked like components from Speakerlab. They sold kits but also individual drivers. They were big fans of horns with compression drivers in their higher end kits. Lokks DIY due to the orientation of the horns being vertical instead of horizontal and the addition of the Frazier woofers.
 
They're DIY. The Frazier branded EVM-15 should be a big clue, they were probably pulled from "Texan" cabinets.

But 3 exact pairs from the Dallas area makes me think someone was DIYing and selling. Not some guy in his garage making a one off speaker.
 
I had watched these for a good while. Glad to see someone got them. Probably a full EV driver compliment, I talked to the seller and he tried to tell me they were Frazier production models- would not listen to me at all!.
DC
 
I didnt get the CL ones, I "hauled off" the white ones for doing some AV work for a friend.

Got the speakers and the HK3300 receiver for a few hours wiring.
 
Could be that somebody bought out remains of the old Frazier and started a small venture of their own that was ultimately not successful.

While they may be more than just "one offs", they have no evidence of being a production model, particularly while carrying the branding of another known company on their components.

This is just my opinion based not on the evidence, but the lack thereof.
 
NAS - North American Sound.....saw a pair for sale recently, look exactly like yours, I don't know much about them other than they appear to be effecient from specs listed in the ad I saw. Studio Monitors is the model I believe. Made in DFW, I think.
 
LWE was making speakers in Houston around that time, and ol' Louis Erath used a vertical T-35 tweeter in the LWE 1. These aren't LWE's, just wondering if the unusual vertical layout means these guys hung out together.
 
NAS - North American Sound.....saw a pair for sale recently, look exactly like yours, I don't know much about them other than they appear to be effecient from specs listed in the ad I saw. Studio Monitors is the model I believe. Made in DFW, I think.

If these be the ones, I think you be right... Good call.

hitt01.jpg
 
when i first saw the picture, i thought North American Sound- something about the cabs reminded me right away of a set of transmission line speakers i had that were from them. the boomiest speakers i've ever had. sold 'em....but i liked their DFW heritage, and tried like hell to figure a way to get them to not ....go BOOM
 
I saw those on CL recently. I recognized the Frazier drivers, and the cab is shaped "similar" to their Thing model. I didn't look closer to realize they weren't actual Fraziers, though. Interesting!
 
The midhorns and tweets look like Speakerlab stuff. Essentially the same as Klipschhorn stuff.
 
i seriously doubt these were ever made by speakerlab. some of the components look similar to the line of raw drivers they offered, but i doubt that vertically mounted horn was their design (the HM700B horn in the big 7 was designed for vertical mounting but not this one).

probably some kind of semi-custom build by a local cabinet shop which thought they might like to get into the speaker business. speakerlab did do some custom work though, but not like this...
 
Back
Top Bottom