• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Whole Lotta Love, best guitar riff ever!

Huh?

I'm sure glad JP did not go into the Biological Sciences and sold his soul for Rock-N-Roll. :guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx_7do9UR9Y


I think The Edge has a lot of great guitar stuff under his belt. Yes, he has his own style as well as the rest of the band. I don't want all my music to sound the same with every band having the same screaming guitar riffs in every song.

For 4 street kids from Dublin without any formal music education U2 has certainly beat the odds. They can still sell out stadiums after being together for 38 years. Not many older bands left that can do that anymore.
The band met at a Music Conservatory,formed U2 and hit the road. I saw their first tour and I never thought they would get this big.
 
The Edge. That guy sucks so bad, Jimmy Page is worth 100 of him. Every time I think I can listen to a U2 record, along he comes with his twanging guitar and spoils it.

And yes, Whole Lotta Love has one of the best, if not THE best riff ever.

Lee.

It's your opinion, but he doesn't suck. He's pretty damn good! U2 has a resume that few other bands can match.
 
Popular does not equal good. I thought Justin Bieber proved that for us.

What does that mean. Do you think I'm just some moron that goes with the crowd and can't make up his own mind? That I have no taste in music? That I don't know a great guitarist when I hear and see one in person? I've seen Page in person, and the Edge, and Clapton, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, Muddy Waters, Doc Watson, Steve Howe, Tony Rice, Pete Townshend, Neil Young... shall I go on?

And about popular? What seems to be popular, at least for you, is retorting with some all-inclusive, poorly thought out, general blanket statement that sounds snappy on social media. This isn't Twitter dude. See if you can come back with something that exceeds 140 characters and isn't some blanket statement that you snagged from another poster.
 
Gee

last year Smoke on the Water was declared the greatest rock riff of all time. Did someone in the band fart or something?:D
 
Do you think I'm just some moron that goes with the crowd and can't make up his own mind? That I have no taste in music? That I don't know a great guitarist when I hear and see one in person?

Yes. Yes, that's exactly what I think. Dude.:D
 
and because of that it makes it one of the most iconic riffs in the history of rock n' roll?

I'm just agreeing with the list. My appologies for my opinion. "Greatest Ever" lists like these are always subjective.
 
Last edited:
On a side note, does anyone beside me think that the background vocals on "Whole Lotta Love" are oddly hilarious? You know: "...wanna whole lotta luh...wanna whole lotta luh". After all these years, I still laugh whenever I hear them.
 
I'm just agreeing with the list. My appologies for my opinion. "Greatest Ever" lists like these are always subjective.

That's true about being subjective. I was just curious, everyone has their own opinions. I wasn't picking on you. :thmbsp:
 
So many great rock riffs, too many to mention. So I'll mention a non-riff.

Ronnie Montrose's opening and ending motorcycle sound on 'Bad Motor Scooter'

So killer. And has to be heard at 100 decibels or more. No other way.
 
I'm somewhere b/w Iommi and Townshend for top-spot riff master, but many of the aforementioned (e.g., Blackmore, Johnny Marr, etc.) have knocked out some world-worthy riffs.

A couple more to ponder:

Richard Thompson: Introductory sequence to "Calvary Cross", anyone?

The Young Brothers: Um, about 75% of AC/DC main riffs rock w/ authority

Michael Schenker @ UFO: was there ever a bad UFO riff? Some were stupendous, but I don't recall a single stinker. A very consistent sound they had, comparable (in consistency, not sound) to Iommi.
 
There are so many great riffs for sure. My yard stick is the ones that automatically make me turn up the volume. One such riff is Peter Green with the original Fleetwood Mac playing "Oh well!" All hail the "Green God!"
 
There are so many great riffs for sure. My yard stick is the ones that automatically make me turn up the volume. One such riff is Peter Green with the original Fleetwood Mac playing "Oh well!" All hail the "Green God!"

Peter Green, certainly a strong contender. Also an incredible "sustain" achiever, as would become Gary Moore and that Trower fella.
 
Back
Top Bottom