• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Whole Lotta Love, best guitar riff ever!

Watching "20 Years of Jethro Tull" last night and wondering why he doesn't get more respect.

We respected him much in the 70s. I always loved that (according to MB) one of his primary influences was Leslie West. (Leslie would certainly have been his biggest influence, too)

Speaking of Leslie West, that man knocked out quite a few memorable riffs. "Mississippi Queen"? "Never In My Life"? "Silver Paper"? "Long Red"? "Blood Of The Sun"?
 
For myself steve howes starship trooper into the wurm is heavy ,warm, and just enough flanger to swirl it proper. That riff made me pick up the guitar 30 years ago and sometimes I actually make enough cash to pay for my own studio time.

That's a good one. Your comments re: stolen riffs of the catz who inspired the rockers reminds me of a couple more riff masters:

Chuck Berry (talk about having one's licks ripped off ya!)
John Lee Hooker
Elmore James (incredible riffing)
Bukka White
Blind Willie Johnson (esp. when he was in the "blues" mood, but even the gospel-tinged numbers. Think about "Soul Of A Man".)
 
Parris Island 1979, used my older brothers birth cert, and ssi and hs diploma hit the yellow feet running, head shaved little red book in hand learned a poem and never forgot it during customs and traditions cycle .

Chesty puller, six foot six, did more damage than dynamite sticks hoorahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
I lost 2 pints of blood to the sand fleas and virginity in Beaufort, did I mention I was only 14 and bagged sharpshooter and all the DI attention there was, teens in the corps. sorry to hijack off topic fellas just got all misty seeing chesty puller on a sig. thx

You're still a good soldier, soldier. I was Army and I revere Patton and MacArthur, but there's just sumthin' 'bout Chesty Puller, man. :thmbsp:
 
Yes. Yes, that's exactly what I think. Dude.:D

So, based on your previously stated theory, and the fact that Zeppelin was one of the most popular bands ever, then they must (according to you) not be very good. :D

Not sure why you saw fit to set me straight about popular music.

Remember, you are the one that quoted my post and responded with a rather stupid, generalized statement. The real offense is not in what you stated, because you actually had nothing to say. The real offense is trolling on AK, which I typically ignore, unless of course I am called out by name, dude.
 
What does that mean. Do you think I'm just some moron that goes with the crowd and can't make up his own mind? That I have no taste in music? That I don't know a great guitarist when I hear and see one in person? I've seen Page in person, and the Edge, and Clapton, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, Muddy Waters, Doc Watson, Steve Howe, Tony Rice, Pete Townshend, Neil Young... shall I go on?

And about popular? What seems to be popular, at least for you, is retorting with some all-inclusive, poorly thought out, general blanket statement that sounds snappy on social media. This isn't Twitter dude. See if you can come back with something that exceeds 140 characters and isn't some blanket statement that you snagged from another poster.

Yes. Yes, that's exactly what I think. Dude.:D

Noogs,

Trolling is not tolerated long around this forum. Carry on. Tesults may vary.
 
R&R is a strange business. You can be the greatest technical player on the planet and go nowhere but someone who plays just three notes in the right order can become a guitar God.
 
R&R is a strange business. You can be the greatest technical player on the planet and go nowhere but someone who plays just three notes in the right order can become a guitar God.

:yes:, insert Roy Buchanan's name here....................
 
Noogs,

Trolling is not tolerated long around this forum. Carry on. Tesults may vary.

Think you're being a bit of a stick-in-the-mud there -- what I was doing had nothing to do with trolling. But if either of you wants to discuss it further, feel free to PM me so we don't clog up the thread with personal disagreements. It's always best to get these things out in the open -- sunlight's the best disinfectant, and all that.
 
So, based on your previously stated theory, and the fact that Zeppelin was one of the most popular bands ever, then they must (according to you) not be very good. :D

Not sure why you saw fit to set me straight about popular music.

Remember, you are the one that quoted my post and responded with a rather stupid, generalized statement. The real offense is not in what you stated, because you actually had nothing to say. The real offense is trolling on AK, which I typically ignore, unless of course I am called out by name, dude.

Don't be silly. See above.
 
One of the greatest of all was evidently accidental. Broken string, tuned to open E.

We're talkin' about "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" by the RiffKing himself: Keef.
 
Think you're being a bit of a stick-in-the-mud there -- what I was doing had nothing to do with trolling. But if either of you wants to discuss it further, feel free to PM me so we don't clog up the thread with personal disagreements. It's always best to get these things out in the open -- sunlight's the best disinfectant, and all that.

No getting stuck in mud around here. Not enough rain. But sunlight is abundant, so I guess we're all good here. :thmbsp:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985tHD1Pw5w

Across the pond, before Richards, before Page, before Clapton and,before Green were laying down the riffs, there was Hank Marvin! Legend has it that he got the first Stratocaster in the UK. I'm sure Sir Cliff Richard, the British Elvis, had something to do with that.:yes:
 
^^^
Thus making the first Stratocaster shipped to the U.K. was a custom-color model. Remarkable.
 
Does anyone reading recall the first Stratocaster order/player in the U.S.? He was a C&W player. Might it have been Bill Carson?
 
Back
Top Bottom