• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why does does hip-hop get such a bad rap?

Brett a

~◦●○o0o○●◦~
It seems a lot of people here dismiss hop-hop (or “rap”). It seems because it is associated with inner-city gangster culture (which I understand scares people). Do you realize that is only one of a diverse group of interests that use the medium? I don’t see anyone condemning rock and roll as a genre because The Stones, Frank Zappa, or Dead Kennedys made some music with misogynistic or violent themes.

As with every other type of music, if you ignore the stuff played on the radio (99% crap) and do a little poking around, you can find hip-hop that’s not only fun, high quality music, but is also intelligent songwriting with a social conscience. It can be modern folk in the truest sense of the word. Its relationship with other groove-oriented music should be obvious. Think of James Brown/The JB’s, Fela Kuti, the Stax sound, Gill Scott-Heron, Babatunde Olatunji. (If you’re familiar with African music such as Olatuniji or King Sunny Ade you might notice that often the vocal rhythms hang over the beat like a bell pattern.)

I won’t deny that there’s a lot of bragging involved even in some of the better hip-hop, but there’s a lot of bragging in music, and often it’s harmless fun.

Is there anyone here that agrees with me on this?

I’d recommend some of these:
Kool Keith – Black Elvis/Lost in Space
Jurrasic 5 – Power in numbers
Missy Elliott – Supa Dupa Fly
The Streets – S/T
Welfare Poets – Rhymes for Treason
Blackalicious – Blazing Arrow
 
Register to hide this ad
I guess because most don't even consider hip hop music, but rather a bunch of stolen riffs and passages looped and put in a blender... Seldom is much of it original, although the idea of how to use the samples might be original...

Along with, most times, you have no clue what the hell is being said because it's hard to tell if they are even speaking English because there is too much "ghetto" language...

AND.. .if you think Frank Zappa, Alice Cooper, Ozzy, and many others haven't been dismissed, hated and ostracised over the years, you need to go back and restudy your rock and roll history.. I guess you missed the early 80's and Tipper Gore too?
 
......but rather a bunch of stolen riffs and passages looped and put in a blender... Seldom is much of it original,......

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, huh? what?

Led Zep? I love Led Zep! 'specially their early stuff

Oh, hip hop, I like that too
gansta rap, nah

Big thumbs up for Kool Keith/Dr Octagon, PE, Run DMC, Hill Top Hoods

thumbs down for narrow mindedness
 
Not My Bag

I own and enjoy just about every genre of music there is:yes:, but hip-hop is not one of them!:no:

I think the gansta-rap is probably responsible for my dislike of the genre. It's bad when 50% of the lyrics you can't understand, the other 50% you wish you hadn't understood!:nono:

Probably the other thing that caused my dislike of the genre was how the neighborhood kids enjoyed it. They had these high powered subwoofers in their car, playing it wide-open when the came home from partying at 3 am! The windows in the house would shake.:sigh: I wonder how their hearing is today?:D
 
Will it be sought out, and collected buy subsequent generations? Will I see a teenager 30 years from now walking around with a Tupac Shakur T Shirt on? :scratch2:
 
Will it be sought out, and collected buy subsequent generations? Will I see a teenager 30 years from now walking around with a Tupac Shakur T Shirt on? :scratch2:

Well, you do see kids wearing Public Enemy, NWA, Run DMC etal t-shirts, and its over 20 yrs since their debut
 
I don't listen to much hip hop , but I do know a fair share about it. To dismiss the music as recycled loops and samples is pretty weak. Think about Paul's Boutique. That record constructed beats made from layer upon layer of samples. In most cases the beats were far more fresh and exciting than the original songs that the samples came from. There are many many other hip hop tracks where this is also true. Now, its obvious that since sampling laws have gotten much stronger since the late 80s, that much of the music has gotten boring. But, think of Walk this Way with Run Dmc and Aerosmith, in my opinion, Run Dmc and Rick Rubin revived an otherwise played out rock radio staple. The examples are endless.
 
Well, for me, I don't like Rap for the same reason I don't like Country Music, Atonal Music, and Bebop. I just don't like it. I listen to music for pleasure, and those kinds of music just don't do it for me.
 
I heard Gil Scott Heron in the early 70's.
My first impression?
Man.....that sucks!!

I heard 50 cent in 2008.
My second impression?
Man.....that sucks!!

Steve
 
Not crazy about the whole rap/hop genre. Being an older white guy I just don't connect. If I said I did connect I'd be lying. Anyway, I picked up the new Flight of the Conchords LP (on vinyl...bliss!) and there is an excellent rap comedy song called "HipHop-o-pottomaus." Great fun...
 
Re-visiting this one again, are we?

Like what you enjoy, enjoy what you like.

That's enough Zen for now.

Me personally, I like a relatively small amount of what I would call hip-hop, or rap, compared to the copious amounts of it thrust at us from every angle. That being said, I imagine that most folks who enjoy it are of the age when it became the "In" thing, and have grown up with it. This can probably be said for most contemporary genres of music as well.

And a note to the marketers out there - Not everyone is a 22 year old white male, and the use of rap/hip-hop music and images in your advertising efforts will do more to make me go out of my way NOT to purchase whatever it is you are shilling out, than a well placed cattle-prod would.
 
Nooooooo! not the popcorn! It doesn't have to go this way.!:pity:

So far, it seems we are capable of having an adult conversation about this. And I'm interested in some of the points, but have to go to a meeting now. I'll check back...
 
hey, brett-- i liked your system photos. i can tell a lot of thought went into that. i think that hip-hop relies on a set of 'receptors' that white, middle class, middle aged people (the bulk of us at AK) don't have. it speaks to experiences, moods and attitudes that are foreign to us. therefore, we reject it. nevermind that much of it, like most pop music, is just throwaway consumer product. however, i know for a fact that there are serious hip hop artists out there, creating seriously interesting work-- Endtroducing...by DJ Shadow anybody? or, the Ghostdog soundtrack, by, i think The RZA...these are serious works of composition that leave off the guns and ammo, s**k my d**k stuff and get far into abstraction and the creation of enveloping soundscapes full of mood and atmosphere. this is the kind of stuff i like. but it is an alien genre for many of us, and there is a degree of teaching yourself to appreciate and understand what's going on there, like when the world first encountered Coltrane and Ayler blowing free ....
 
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, huh? what?

Led Zep? I love Led Zep! 'specially their early stuff

Oh, hip hop, I like that too
gansta rap, nah

Big thumbs up for Kool Keith/Dr Octagon, PE, Run DMC, Hill Top Hoods

thumbs down for narrow mindedness
werd :thmbsp:
 
It seems a lot of people here dismiss hop-hop (or “rap”). It seems because it is associated with inner-city gangster culture (which I understand scares people). Do you realize that is only one of a diverse group of interests that use the medium? I don’t see anyone condemning rock and roll as a genre because The Stones, Frank Zappa, or Dead Kennedys made some music with misogynistic or violent themes.

That might be because the Stones, Frank Zappa or the Dead Kennedys never fired gunshots at each other.
 
As far as my comments.. let me say before anyone takes me wrong..

I've got Paul's Boutique, and was just listening to it the other night.. great albums.. I also really like 14th Street Jump.. Killer tune...

Public Ememy.. ANYONE that can play along with Anthrax is OK in my book.

I used to listen to NWA years ago before they were hardly heard of... so none of this music is new to me, but I only giving my reasons why the majorty of it doesn't appeal to me.. Not that I don't like any of it, but most of it isn't talent in my eyes..

I like a lot of techno, trance, electronicia, drum and bass, jungle, experimental, and a lot of other music types that many around here would dismiss pretty fast... Especially many in the age bracket I'm in... but to each their own in their tastes..
 
Back
Top Bottom