• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

why is Audio Karma so heavily into vintage... pretty much everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

30hz MAGIC

Creator of earthquakes!
Forgive me. Let me start by stating this is NOT a modern vs vintage thread and is not intended to be a warzone.

I am still a little new here. Been checking out a lot of forums here and I have noticed everyone here is really vintage heavy and i RESPECT this but I'm also curious.

I mean this is a general audio site and I see the turntables forum average's more people watching it than the SPEAKERS forum, I mean damn.

And when i go to music forums most of all music I seem to see is 60's 70's or 80's type stuff and if its not its some alt rock of some sort.
Why is it so rare to hear mention of dubstep, jpop, house, chillout or pop? Not even Daft Punk?
I know music is pretty much 100% opinion based but man, does nodody here have musical tastes for NEW music? If not that's fine of course, I'm just curious again. But I just want to see a thread in music I can relate too and be active in and be directed to music by some people that like the same music I like and be shown new artists in a genre I like.

Make no mistake I love this forum, I love ALL speakers vintage or not and everyone seems to be insanely nice here. I have been having fun and learning things on this forum but I just cannot help but be confused. I feel like I missed a banner somewhere that said "turntable and vintage audio forum".

Please, go easy...
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hi there. Well to me, AudioKarma, as a NAME, implies vintage...what has "gone around" is coming back around.

Keep in mind also that most guys into the very newest music are predominately young, and this is what they hear as they grow up. Conversely, folks who have had time to "journey around the block" once or twice often prefer what they grew up with, especially jazz and rock, often from the 50s, 60s & 70s. Of course, these are simply generalizations, as there are a broad spectrum of those of all ages who enjoy various forms of both electronics and music. Having said that, these "more seasoned" music aficionados also remember and loved the vintage gear in terms of looks, build quality, and sound. I am sure that demographics would prove that those that grew up in those bygone decades are most likely to appreciate the older music and the older electronics as well.

Some of these folks also remember some of the early, horrid sounding transistor equipment that they were told to buy after trashing their "old fashioned" vacuum tubes. Perhaps 20 years or so later, folks were introduced to the first horrible sounding digital gear and recordings, but many continued to love the "outmoded analog stuff".

I work with several young guys who feel that MP3s into ear buds represent state of the art sound. They have not been acquainted with very good analog gear which can sound astounding by comparison. Again, very oversimplified, but I think it makes sense.
 
Ok, I'll bite.

While I've certainly got vintage equipment I've also spent money on, and very much enjoy, new equipment. I will happily buy new if it equals or betters the vintage equipment.

I see a lot of discussions of DAC's and how to integrate a computer / iPad / MP3 Player into a setup.

Oh and I have Daft Punk and jpop in my MP3 collection alongside Three Dog Night, Chicago and many others.

Mark Gosdin
 
Ok, I'll bite.

While I've certainly got vintage equipment I've also spent money on, and very much enjoy, new equipment. I will happily buy new if it equals or betters the vintage equipment.

I see a lot of discussions of DAC's and how to integrate a computer / iPad / MP3 Player into a setup.

Oh and I have Daft Punk and jpop in my MP3 collection alongside Three Dog Night, Chicago and many others.

Mark Gosdin

Ditto. Some old, some new, its all good! :D
 
Best answer to the op is 'build quality', but sq doesn't take a back seat to any characteristic. Lots of vintage gear is equal to or better than relatively much more expensive new components. Put that together with high build quality and there you have it. No mystery. There's more than one way to value your gear. I prefer not to in terms of money. However it is the inevitable yard stick. But only in conversation.
 
If you want to talk about "new" music go to the music forum and start a thread about what interests you. I'm sure others will join in.
 
For me I buy what works and works well. How much better are the new AC enhancers over the one that started it all The Tice Power Block / Titan Combo. I use one and I really can't tell the difference from some of these expensive enhancers that do the same thing. I bought my Combo for 300,I see the new kid on the block AC enhancer @ 2000. Oh yeah the Tice equipment is over 25 years old and works flawlessly.
 
Just like my parents disliked "new" music, I suspect a lot of people here are older and are more into the music they grew up with. Oddly, I'm now starting to appreciate the stuff my parents listened to as well. What amazes me is that young people today seem to have a far better tolerance/appreciation for older music than my generation (I'm 59) ever did for older music when we were young.
 
When I bought most of my stereo gear it was new. Now it's called vintage. Kinda like the majority of AK members!
 
Ok, I'll bite.

While I've certainly got vintage equipment I've also spent money on, and very much enjoy, new equipment. I will happily buy new if it equals or betters the vintage equipment.

I see a lot of discussions of DAC's and how to integrate a computer / iPad / MP3 Player into a setup.

Oh and I have Daft Punk and jpop in my MP3 collection alongside Three Dog Night, Chicago and many others.

Mark Gosdin

Haruhi Suzumiya as your avatar = jpop guaranteed.
 
One thing I have noticed is that a majority here was not around for the original releasing of albums and such. It is new to them even though it is what I used to listen to in high school etc.
I do listen to things like Kid Ory and Louis Armstrong sometimes even though a lot those recordings were done 80-90 years ago they are/were new to me. :)


Carl
 
Not sure how you can question the direction a forum takes. It is what it is. I'm not here because I buy vintage but because I never got rid of the stuff I bought 40 years ago. And I like the vibe. And the wealth of knowledge. Let it go. Every forum is different. This one is predominately about older equipment and is predominately populated by older hi-fi afficionados who own examples of said equipment. It's how the site has evolved over time. But it was also designed to be a place where vintage owners could hang out. If you're uncomfortable with that then move on. No one here need apologize for or justify how it is.
 
I'm not gonna even begin to get into the general thrust of this thread, it's just a bit too trollish for me.

However - I feel moved to comment on the OP's sig. A pedophile is a sexual deviant who is attracted to underage children; it has nothing to do with "beauty pageant winning girls". Likewise, I consider myself an audiophile, although I've never owned "$1K+ tube amps". Well, I owned tube amps once upon a time, but they weren't $1k then.:yes:

Peace out.

Happy trails,
Larry B.
 
Read this two days ago... Forum still seemingly vintage heavy and this statement was not answering any of my questions...

If you don't want to post then why complain about what other's post about? :scratch2:

I see you have several old game consoles in your setup... obviously you can relate to the "why" part of your question. :yes:

Participate. You may be pleasantly surprised.

And welcome to AK,


Rob
 
attachment.php
 
I'm not gonna even begin to get into the general thrust of this thread, it's just a bit too trollish for me.

However - I feel moved to comment on the OP's sig. A pedophile is a sexual deviant who is attracted to underage children; it has nothing to do with "beauty pageant winning girls". Likewise, I consider myself an audiophile, although I've never owned "$1K+ tube amps". Well, I owned tube amps once upon a time, but they weren't $1k then.:yes:

Peace out.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

I knew there was a reason I turned off the signatures as well as the photographs. :tongue:


Carl
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom