• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why is vintage/new JBL so expensive?

Oh, come'on - some brands simply command high values b/c of the quality/longevity reputation - All-Clad, Festool, JBL, Milwaukee (US made), etc all sell used for 'near to new' pricing. Whether that value proposition has any merit varies, of course.
Early in life I fell into the mode of 'buying quality once, keeping forever' - and for the most part, it's worked well.
Never bought another sauce/saute pan, never had to buy new kitchen knives, the original festool saw I have has run thousands of bd ft and still has superb accuracy, the US made Milw stuff still runs like a locomotive, etc etc.

Yes, you have to work your ass off to get good at what you do to make the kind of money that stuff costs....So what?

I dropped (what was a) HUGE bundle on my L200s in the 70s, and no one is more amazed than me that they still sound amazing - granted with a few recent upgrades.
Had they been cheaply made (components and cabinetry) I would have moved on and tried out other speakers to replace them, but especially with the (aforementioned!) 4367 woofs in them, I just don't need or want anything (allegedly) better.

I also spent a LOT of time in my local audio store back in the day, comparing newer JBLs to other 'brands of the moment' and never heard anything - at any price range - that I thought sounded better for all kinds of music (some sounded nicer for some classical recordings), and more recent listening comparos I've done re-enforces that notion, whether it's my ears, my habits, by expectation bias, I dunno.
I've definitely heard far more expensive speakers that sounded like crap to me - or at least didn't justify the asking prices, so for sure it's a matter of taste, so if you don't have 'the taste' for JBLs, then why complain about the cost?

On mine, I've inspected the cabinet interiors, opened the horns, and all look 'good as new' today - so at the very least I think I got my 'value' out of them!
Oddly, in a time when uber-precision manufacturing, and reliable electronics has never been easier to achieve, that Quality Proposition seems to have faded (or reserved for the silly stratosphere market) a lot.
The crazy pricey new 4367 woofers - which appear to be reasonably well built - are shipped in single layer boxes, with just a hunk of plastic draped over them!
I've read that that the cabinet quality on them is poor, at best - suggesting that 'modern precision manufacturing' has not made it's way to replacing the cabinetry craftsmen JBL used back in the day? That's down to the market endlessly chasing cheaper and cheaper, and lower and lower wages ad infinitum.
No idea if the HF drivers for those or the M2s are 'handled' the same way, but their price point is even more absurd (and why I retained the original horns and tweets).
Enuf. Off soap box.
 
I think I could buy 5k worth of woodworking tools, some eminence 15” woofers, and make a homemade wood horn and get results that could rival these and still stay under the 10k mark (tools included).

I seriously doubt that.

People (myself included, years ago) often underestimate the complexities that engineers work through to develop the product that consumers can buy. Some people could probably do it (the late Zilch comes to mind) but it takes years of experience and a deep understanding of testing and construction methodologies to get to that point.

And even if you could, you would be lucky to recoup 50% of the costs of the materials if you were to try to sell them.
 
Last edited:
Many people can design speakers and amplifiers that work exceptionally well "on paper". However even with modern analysis and modeling software, the Designers' experience helps them to avoid complex interactions and problems that will manifest themselves in the real product, and further still these learned Designers with all of the tools today go through several design iterations and prototype testing phases to arrive at what actually enters production.

It is possible that you'll design a speaker that works as well as theory would suggest, ... and win the lottery.

I'd love to do both but at this point my time is not free so even that part of designing and building presentable speakers is cost prohibitive.
 
It is possible to use JBL and other components to get a better than factory sound, but it ain't easy and requires lots of time and equipment getting it right, or even nearly as good.

Purchasing used drivers, I have about $1,400 into the Ethyl Mermans (JBL 2241H, JBL 2251J, Heil AMT), and they easily best the L300s and will never need refoams. And even though all parts are of top quality, and the crossovers are very complicated using 16 gauge air core inductors, Dale resistors, and Audyn capacitors, these are not factory offerings, nor modeled after factory offerings, and I would not get nearly the coin as I would for a pair of L300s.

BTW, I sold my 4430s, refoamed by OCS, for $1,100. But I paid $1,100 for them (needing foams), as well as a pair of 4331s, a pair of 4425s, and a Tascam 8 channel mixing board with 4 channel mix-down.
 
Last edited:
It is possible to use JBL and other components to get a better than factory sound, but it ain't easy and requires lots of time and equipment getting it right, or even nearly as good.

Purchasing used drivers, I have about $1,400 into the Ethyl Mermans (JBL 2241H, JBL 2251J, Heil AMT), and they easily best the L300s and will never need refoams. And even though all parts are of top quality, and the crossovers are very complicated using 16 gauge air core inductors, Dale resistors, and Audyn capacitors, these are not factory offerings, nor modeled after factory offerings, and I would not get nearly the coin as I would for a pair of L300s.

BTW, I sold my 4430s, refoamed by OCS, for $1,100. But I paid $1,100 for them (needing foams), as well as a pair of 4331s, a pair of 4425s, and a Tascam 8 channel mixing board with 4 channel mix-down.
So true!
It’s why I don’t build Cabinets, or change Xover
components. You can never get any resale out of modified or home built items.
Will they sound better probably.
Bobhorn
 
Market sets the price, not you. You want but are not willing to pay market. That means no JBL for you.
soup-nazi-left.jpg
 
Ethyl Mermans (JBL 2241H, JBL 2251J, Heil AMT)
Can you explain the Ethel Merman name for these speakers? I've seen it mentioned many times, but I'm either not old enough or familiar enough with classic JBL to get this. Google turns up nothing.
 
Can you explain the Ethel Merman name for these speakers? I've seen it mentioned many times, but I'm either not old enough or familiar enough with classic JBL to get this. Google turns up nothing.
lol this should be good!
 
Can you explain the Ethel Merman name for these speakers? I've seen it mentioned many times, but I'm either not old enough or familiar enough with classic JBL to get this. Google turns up nothing.

I was dis-satisfied with the way the L300s rendered female voices (especially Joni Mitchell) and was determined to produce a speaker that could do females justice. But the caveat was that they had to play LOUD! Ethel Merman was well known for having a very powerful voice, but being Too Loud "Too loud they said," she says in one of her movies.

Ethel Merman (born Ethel Agnes Zimmermann, January 16, 1908 – February 15, 1984) was an American actress, artist, and singer.[1] Known primarily for her distinctive, powerful voice and leading roles in musical theatre, she has been called "the undisputed First Lady of the musical comedy stage".[2]

Among the many standards introduced by Merman in Broadway musicals are "I Got Rhythm" (from Girl Crazy); "Everything's Coming Up Roses", "Some People", and "Rose's Turn" (from Gypsy—Merman starred as Rose in the original 1959 Broadway production); and the Cole Porter songs "It's De-Lovely" (from Red, Hot and Blue), "Friendship" (from DuBarry Was a Lady), and "I Get a Kick Out of You", "You're the Top", and "Anything Goes" (from Anything Goes). The Irving Berlin song "There's No Business Like Show Business", written for the musical Annie Get Your Gun, became Merman's signature song.

Performance style
Merman was known for her powerful, belting mezzo-soprano voice and precise enunciation and pitch.[40] Because stage singers performed without microphones when Merman began singing professionally, she had a great advantage, despite never taking singing lessons. Broadway lore holds that George Gershwin advised her never to take a singing lesson after she opened in his Girl Crazy.[41]

Profanity
Merman was notorious for her brash demeanour and for telling vulgar stories at public parties. For instance, she once shouted a dirty joke across the room at José Ferrer during a formal reception.[54]

While rehearsing a guest appearance on The Loretta Young Show, Merman exclaimed "Where the hell does this go?" Young, who was a devout Catholic, advanced towards her waving an empty coffee can, saying "Come on Ethel. You know my rules. That'll cost you a dollar." To which Merman replied "Ah, honey, how much will it cost me to tell you to go **** yourself?"[55]
 
Even though I prefer Altec and others most of the time. JBL does a lot things very well and were pioneers in achieving their goals. Buying units with a very respected reputation built in limited quantities always demand higher than normal prices. Have you tried to buy a Mcintosh or Marantz original tube amp lately. I would love to be the proud owner of a Paragon. Woofers would have to be updated and the bullet ring radiator updated, to the last of the series. Or if I could find a pair of 950 UHF Altec ring radiators. Big Harts fields with new drivers and crossovers would be fun. Having three 4435 or DD67000 for the HT system would be a great choices. I'd like to hear M2's some day. Some of the JBL cabinet work is easily a match for Tannoy's renowned cabinets. In some respects there is nothing finer than JBL cabinetry. Klipsch can't come close to the consumer models. Cabinet work has become a lost art. Personally the 4300 series never impressed me. 4400 was very acceptable and the DD65000 and 67000. are some of the best consumer speakers JBL ever produced. Now that Harmon has been sold. JBLs made products of previous generations are just going to increase in value. Just try buying Altec 604 and 515 drivers. Same thing is going to happen with original JBL pieces.
 
Take these JBL 4367’s. 15” pro woofer, and a 3” dual compression driver. The 3” dual compression driver seems cool, and pretty large, but for $15k, I think I could buy 5k worth of woodworking tools, some eminence 15” woofers, and make a homemade wood horn and get results that could rival these and still stay under the 10k mark (tools included). There’s some other newer JBL speakers that are just absurdly expensive.

You could just buy the JBL woofer (2216Nd-1) and compression driver (D2430K). Going to cost more than Eminence drivers but the JBLs may be a more advanced design (I'm not an Eminence expert) and lots of crossover design work. Or go with the 2216Nd and the M2 waveguide and build a pair of active bi-amped M2 clones which may be far easier since the DSP curves are posted. Not cheap but $5k is an all-in budget (ignores tools and amplification).


Here's a fine example of how to get most of the 4367 performance for much less $ and no design work required:
http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/105
Funny how the standard woofer is Eminence but the upgrade is JBL.

:rockon:
 
There ya go.
BTW, I'm building an L200 'clone' (clown?) not-a-speaker cabinet, and it's a royal PITA to build.
How they spanked these things out of their shops by the dozens/hundreds/thousands and maintained such excellent cabinet quality just amazes me.
 
Correct.
LX5/N7000
And which Woofers?
Mine had the 136h’s still have them but I switched to a pair of 2215b’s recones
I then removed the other port cover
I mho doubling the Bass output
Just putting them back together after a scare about a feared Diafram failure you probably saw, my thread
Bobhorn
 
And which Woofers?
Mine had the 136h’s still have them but I switched to a pair of 2215b’s recones
I then removed the other port cover
I mho doubling the Bass output
Just putting them back together after a scare about a feared Diafram failure you probably saw, my thread
Bobhorn
LE15a/S8R
Have fun!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom