• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wives, stereo components & living spaces

You guys are lucky. I'm expressly forbidden to put any audio equipment in areas other than the family room, dining room, foyer, kids computer room, master bedroom, kids bedrooms, hallways, dormer room, attic, mudroom, mudroom bathroom, basement, attached garage, and detached garage. It's the law around here.

That's pretty severe ....You think the wife might ease up on that someday?:D
 
i am not married yet nor do i plan to anytime soon. Im 21 and enjoying life. But the day i do decided to get married... my stereo equipment comes first.. and then her "stuff" :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:
 
Hope you like being a bachelor oscar :) Stuff before relationship will lead to many lonely years.
 
The trick is in finding a mutually agreeable compromise

There it is...QED in post #5.

My wife is really good to me. I even get to bring naked MDF speakers into the living room and leave them for extended listening/testing. She's got a better ear than me (musician from childhood) and helps a lot with some of my designs. When I hauled my main speakers (Big Bobs) out for an AK shindig she told me I shouldn't bring them back. I was taken aback and asked why. She replied that if they came back they would never leave the house again. :yes:
 
My girlfriend is pretty accepting of my hobby. Especially considering that I've set her up with
Sony TA-2650 driving Infinity RS4s and chinese 4-ohm bookshelf speakers, Sennheiser EH-350 heaphones

and Pioneer surround receiver in 2.1, optical in

at her house. Actually, since my huge SPL Monitors don't work atm, she has more power than I do...
 
I rarely have time to even be in the living room, so it's no big deal that we have my old HK 330B and a CD player in the corner and a pair of small speakers up high on shelves out of the way of dogs and kids.

My main listening time is working in the home office or while driving. These days I mainly seem to find time to get into the studio to work on my kids' musical playing and recording, but occasionally I'll go in there late at night just to listen to a few tunes in a truly superb listening space.

So, when I actually have time to listen, it's in a situation where I get to set it up pretty much as I would wish. My wife just likes to have a little clock radio to leave on in the kitchen/dining room area with pop music playing quietly.

Cheers,

Otto
 
Last edited:
Hope you like being a bachelor oscar :) Stuff before relationship will lead to many lonely years.

Life is too damn short to worry about lonely years. Time will come for each and every thing. I am happy i was given the opportunity to be a part of this life knowing so many kids dont even get past their first year. So I try my best to enjoy my life and do good and enjoy my stereo set up and my art. Wanting to be with someone or having someone at my side is not my concern at all right now. Who knows down the road... :yes::banana:
 
Life is too damn short to worry about lonely years. Time will come for each and every thing. I am happy i was given the opportunity to be a part of this life knowing so many kids dont even get past their first year. So I try my best to enjoy my life and do good and enjoy my stereo set up and my art. Wanting to be with someone or having someone at my side is not my concern at all right now. Who knows down the road... :yes::banana:

No need to rush into marriage, that's for sure! However, I think Elc's point is that the "me first" or "my stuff before your stuff" attitude is something you'll need to grow out of before you can have a successful marriage. My wife and I have very different ways of entertaining ourselves and we worked it all out. We each spend time in each other's spaces, but we also have own time which has been a tremendous help. :yes:
 
My wife lets me enjoy my hobby..:thmbsp: Right side of Living room.:music: and My Temp Testing system..:yes: Plus what is behind it..LOL.
 
Last edited:
I have a mancave.

Heres something from just yesterday to put things in perspective :
we're at Best Buy looking at tablets... of course I walk us thru the stereo aisles....
Right when we get to the least expensive Samsung home theatre im gawking at the nasty plasticky bitty towers that house like one three inch speaker shes staring me a question "what's wrong"?

Turns out she LIKED that heap o junk

Read my sig.

I have a mancave.


Matt
 
I married a hot indie record store chick who used to DJ in college. I have a modest vintage Marantz/B&W bookshelf system in the main kitchen/great room that she uses the most. In fact, the Marantz is hers.

She's also Italian and a great cook.

:thmbsp::D

My fiance's an Elvis fan and learning to cook...she's a redhead:D:smoke:

My wife lets me enjoy my hobby..:thmbsp: Right side of Living room.:music: and My Temp Testing system..:yes: Plus what is behind it..LOL.

I see nothing I wouldn't want, not to be covetous ;)
also, love the snoopies in the radio flyer :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Mines an interior decorator so some small compromises had to be made but I got my HT setup the way I want it.My 2 channel rig is in the attached garage so no issues there.
 
Ive never had a problem with WAF. Ive almost got the same stereo as I did when we were married in 85. She knew then what I was all about. Up until a couple years ago, I wanted a man cave just for me. Once my oldest went off to college, that was possible but before that, all gear and about 300lps were in the living room. For lack of space, the other 4000 lps were stored out in the backroom.
 
My wife is less interested i room decor than I am, and is much less neat i general, so she doesn't mind the equipment at all. She's also a sound sleeper, so with a few closed doors between us, I tend to do most of my serious listening in the late evening. I think the sound is actually better at night - I suspect the power supply from the city is "cleaner" then, but it may just be an allusion.

The only "issue" I ever have with my wife about any of the stereos is that she particularly likes a couple of the speakers, and will comment when I rotate them out. Martin Logan CLS's get a special moan, when I pull them out of the living room!
 
I am also very lucky in that my wife also enjoys music and movies. Not to the point of over stimulation that I like but.....

My main rig is in the LR
My HT setup is in the LR
I have a 3rd system where the components are in the LR and speakers in Family Room and Outside
I have a 4th setup in the Family Room that is separate from above
I have a 5th setup in the Gym, (3rd bedroom)
I have a PC based setup in the Office (4th bedroom)

One whole wall of my Dining Room is a CD/DVD rack and my spare set of main rig speakers are in the corner of the DR

I was just recently told that is enough but I am not convinced
 
Last edited:
It's in the works. Just a week ago I got four Boston A40s to mount up high in the corners of the kitchen. Their dark cabinets will almost perfectly match the new kitchen cabinets slated for installation. They'll run off a system in my adjacent office....

:thmbsp:

je
 
Exactly my point. Not necessarily just marriage, just relationships in general. Stuff before people sounds empty and unfulfilling in the long run. Life is hard, it's got to be harder alone.

No need to rush into marriage, that's for sure! However, I think Elc's point is that the "me first" or "my stuff before your stuff" attitude is something you'll need to grow out of before you can have a successful marriage. My wife and I have very different ways of entertaining ourselves and we worked it all out. We each spend time in each other's spaces, but we also have own time which has been a tremendous help. :yes:
 
Exactly my point. Not necessarily just marriage, just relationships in general. Stuff before people sounds empty and unfulfilling in the long run. Life is hard, it's got to be harder alone.

quite true. off topic but I've found that the happier you are by yourself, the more attractive it makes you to others, just as a person. Maybe a better way to put it is , you need to work on "you" first, and be content with who you are as a person...I was perfectly happy a couple years ago...then my fiance came along. I didn't need anyone then, but I couldnt live without her now :D
 
Just want to thank those of you who posted pictures of your systems. I sent the link of this thread to my fiancee and she declared my system of two turntables, two reel to reels, cassettes deck, CD player, amp, and two sets of speakers (in a couple of home built open shelves) acceptable.

The 600 albums in record bins, along with the couple hundred reel to reels, and couple hundred CDs on the other hand may need to reorganized.

The other night she was over and stated the my living room reminds her of "The Exclusive Company" a local record store. I kind of laughed and asked what she wanted to listen to. Then pulled out the album that she requested, even though it was different than the usual music we listen to...



.
 
Back
Top Bottom