An elliptical only lasts 300 hours tops anyway so you may have needed a new one anyway.Through unfortunate circumstances my Ortofon Blue cart has gotten itself a twisted stylus. Is there any hope for it - now I am only able to hear one channel.View attachment 3311612View attachment 3311613
If it's an Ortofon 2M, the tip is user-replaceable.Is the stylus user replaceable on that cartridge? If so, then it's a solved problem if a replacement is available. If not, then it's new cart time.
One of the easier ones to change !If it's an Ortofon 2M, the tip is user-replaceable.
https://www.amazon.com/Ortofon-2M-Cartridges-Replacement-Stylus/dp/B000WMAOE8
Thanks but it seems I am gonna be paying 2/3 the original cost of the 2M blue on a replacement stylus.If it's an Ortofon 2M, the tip is user-replaceable.
https://www.amazon.com/Ortofon-2M-Cartridges-Replacement-Stylus/dp/B000WMAOE8
Is there no hope of re-centring it?You are prolly going to need another stylus.![]()
That cantilever is damaged as is. I'd highly recommend replacing it, and being careful handling it. We've all here knackered a stylus or two by accident, you're not alone.Is there no hope of re-centring it?
No hope. Sorry.Is there no hope of re-centring it?
Yep, so much for the "replaceable stylus" idea, eh? But that's pretty much how it goes these days and the difference of a few bucks is likely going to steer the customer in the direction of just replacing the whole cartridge......Thanks but it seems I am gonna be paying 2/3 the original cost of the 2M blue on a replacement stylus.
Re-centering? Oh yeah, you could probably do that but there are associated liabilities, some of which have already been mentioned but if you're willing to take certain risks, it could be done. The biggest risk is damaging your records, of course, and the only way you're going to know for sure is when you start hearing a lot of groove noise that wasn't there before, in other words, noise the stylus has caused by not being more precisely placed in the groove so as NOT to cause damage like that......at that point, it's too late and your records are toast.Is there no hope of re-centring it?
Fair play. I shall grasp the nettle. Thanks anyhowNo hope. Sorry.
Think of the health of your records.![]()
My collection is too precious to risk an experiment.The biggest risk is damaging your records, of course, and the only way you're going to know for sure is when you start hearing a lot of groove noise that wasn't there before, in other words, noise the stylus has caused by not being more precisely placed in the groove so as NOT to cause damage like that......at that point, it's too late and your records are toast.
Sorry you've had this most unhappy event......but, who knows, there may be a silver lining to this cloud!
Thanks. I guess I could test my 'restoration work' out on some expendable vinyl to see if it worked...Gotta be worth a try? Actually did I hear somewhere that I could fit a cheaper Ortofon Red stylus instead if I wished to save some pennies? Are they compatible perhaps? But you wanna know what's the worst thing about buggering up the stylus - it had had less than 20 hours on the clock.Yep, so much for the "replaceable stylus" idea, eh? But that's pretty much how it goes these days and the difference of a few bucks is likely going to steer the customer in the direction of just replacing the whole cartridge......
Re-centering? Oh yeah, you could probably do that but there are associated liabilities, some of which have already been mentioned but if you're willing to take certain risks, it could be done. The biggest risk is damaging your records, of course, and the only way you're going to know for sure is when you start hearing a lot of groove noise that wasn't there before, in other words, noise the stylus has caused by not being more precisely placed in the groove so as NOT to cause damage like that......at that point, it's too late and your records are toast.
So, I really understand your frustration, amigo, been there before and with a cartridge that costs many times more than what you have and "all I could say was ouch....." Might be a good time to have a look at some other carts if you have a few extra $$$ to play with. Knowing a little more about your system might produce some good recommendations for you to consider, and some might surprise you in terms of cost and the sound quality you would wind up with. As @cafe latte has said, you're only going to be good for about 300 hours on an elliptical stylus so why not look at one of the microridge stylii, such as the AT95MR for about the same as what you will pay for the Blue stylus replacement? Again, need to know more about your turntable, arm and phonostage to make solid suggestions.
Sorry you've had this most unhappy event......but, who knows, there may be a silver lining to this cloud!
Thanks for your interesting input there. I had in mind to try it with the Ortofon Red Stylus funnily enough. I assume there'll be a noticeable difference against the Blue version but no compatibility issues. Here's a quick take on my system as it stands...It's totaled except for maybe one of the few retippers out there that try to straighten the cantilever, but that costs more than a new nail.
The Blue is a much better sounding nail than the Red but the Red will work as the cartridge body is the same, if you much find a less expensive alternative. There are also some inexpensive cartridges that could replace the Ortofon but might not sound as good.
The cartridge being the way the music gets started from the record, it is not a place I try to save money.
What turntable do you have, if you want suggestions on a different cartridge.
I only got a measly 20 hours spin time max before disaster struck.An elliptical only lasts 300 hours tops anyway so you may have needed a new one anyway.
All the best
Chris
It happens. I had an expensive Ruby/Sapphire tip that seemingly fell out of the cartridge. Those tips are way too sensitive. The sound is good but it's not worth the anxiety.I only got a measly 20 hours spin time max before disaster struck.
Could try a sumiko pearl very nice cartridge for $120I only got a measly 20 hours spin time max before disaster struck.