• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

Well, thats very peculiar, because im not exaggerating in the least bit in the description i gave of my experience with the Elmers vs the Titebond II. Ive got years of LP gluings for reference and the Elmers is alot more work.

Perhaps post a picture of the Elmers bottle for the product you are using?
 
Well, thats very peculiar, because im not exaggerating in the least bit in the description i gave of my experience with the Elmers vs the Titebond II. Ive got years of LP gluings for reference and the Elmers is alot more work.

Perhaps post a picture of the Elmers bottle for the product you are using?

Here are pictures. I tend to peel the records just about the minute all the glue turns clear... I'm very impatient! Perhaps if I allowed the glue to dry longer it would get harder and more brittle. So far the Elmer's peels pretty easily, sometimes it tears during a peel, but I can always get a new start and peel the rest. The Aleene's stays a lot more flexible and elastic, however it also grips the vinyl really tightly and requires much more effort to peel. It always surprised me that the glue doesn't generally tear with the amount of force required to peel it from the record.
 

Attachments

  • Glue.jpg
    Glue.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 260
Those do not look like they should be mixed.

The Tequila and the glue, that is.

I find that there is a narrow optimum range of mixing the tequila and the glue. The glue is easiest to apply when a moderate amount of tequila accompanies the process. Too little or too much and gluing becomes difficult. Peeling, however, is best accomplished without the addition of tequila.
 
Wow, a lot of great posts here lately. Thanks.

I think I have found what we have been looking for! I was at the store the other day and they had school supplies out in the open and I walked past a bottle of Elmer's "School Glue Gel." So I picked up a bottle.

I checked online and it is said to be a PVA glue, non-toxic so kids can eat it. Just seems to have more alcohol or water which makes it spread nicely and best of all - dry quicker!

I have used it on 2 albums so far and I was able to peel it off in one nice piece in only 1:30!!!!!! One hour 30 minutes!

It comes of in a really thin sheet almost like saran wrap! Anyway all I did was set it in front of a fan to aid drying time.

I made a youtube clip of the whole process:



15cy6as.jpg
 
Did side B of my freebie Blue Cheer LP last night. It was almost unplayable before, very noisy. There was some grundge I couldn't get off with the Discwasher. Now it sounds great! Just the very faintest noise to it.

Now I just need a beater turntable to make it easier.
 
Wow, a lot of great posts here lately. Thanks.

I think I have found what we have been looking for! I was at the store the other day and they had school supplies out in the open and I walked past a bottle of Elmer's "School Glue Gel." So I picked up a bottle.

I checked online and it is said to be a PVA glue, non-toxic so kids can eat it. Just seems to have more alcohol or water which makes it spread nicely and best of all - dry quicker!

I have used it on 2 albums so far and I was able to peel it off in one nice piece in only 1:30!!!!!! One hour 30 minutes!

It comes of in a really thin sheet almost like saran wrap! Anyway all I did was set it in front of a fan to aid drying time.

I made a youtube clip of the whole process:



15cy6as.jpg

Just watched the clip, thanks. 1:30 is a huge improvement! My question is how does the disc sound? The peel was so easy, it seems as if maybe the glue won't adhere to the dirt as well as some other products. I've been using Aleene's lately (at least until the bottle is empty) and it sticks very tenaciously to the vinyl but does peel off in one piece. Just have to pull surprisingly hard. I'm looking forward to knowing how well the Gel glue works on noise.
 
I gotta tell everyone. I went from thinking this was the height of anal geekdom to becoming a believer. I am watching internet nationwide R&D happen before my very eyes. This is one of the most fascinating threads, due to it's far reaching implications, I've ever seen on the internet.

Way to go guys! You are all part of a thing bigger than yourselves and making real history that will almost certainly, unfortunately, fade to obscurity.
 
Just watched the clip, thanks. 1:30 is a huge improvement! My question is how does the disc sound? The peel was so easy, it seems as if maybe the glue won't adhere to the dirt as well as some other products. I've been using Aleene's lately (at least until the bottle is empty) and it sticks very tenaciously to the vinyl but does peel off in one piece. Just have to pull surprisingly hard. I'm looking forward to knowing how well the Gel glue works on noise.

Well, the first album I did wasn't really noisy to start with and I didn't make comparison clips. No cleaning was done either before or after any of these clips. I played it the way it came home. The second one was pretty noisy and it made quite a difference. Here are some samples to check out on that one. I may try coating another noisy album with half gel and half aileenes. It's pretty hard to tell the difference without doing that... A challenge! Be right back...:D

BEFORE Elmer's Glue Gel

AFTER Elmer's Glue Gel
 
I've got a bunch of records to glue, so I went out today looking for the Elmer's gel... could not find it at any of the usual places - Staples, CVS, Walgreen's. I'll be keeping my eyes open for it.
 
Well i decided to give the glue thing a go. I got out my wood glue (gorilla glue brand) and smoothed it out on the lp about 4 hours later it was dry and ready to be pealed. It all came off in one peice except the lead out but that is because I did a crappy job spreading the glue their. I was not sure about this but after playing the album I decided I needed to go get more wood glue. :D

The only downfall is the static charge that you get from it.

does that elmer's gel glue give you static?
 
You're brave and lucky, Binski! You're the first I've read about using Gorilla glue. I wouldn't have assumed it is the same type of glue and that it would peel. Now we know that it does, and only needs 4 hours dry time. Thanks!
 
It is NOT i repeat not their original gorilla glue

it is the wood glue that make that is made by them!!!


DSCF0166.jpg
 
Last edited:
I've got a bunch of records to glue, so I went out today looking for the Elmer's gel... could not find it at any of the usual places - Staples, CVS, Walgreen's. I'll be keeping my eyes open for it.

I'm surprised by that I would have thought everyone carried it, sounds like they only make it available in some stores. According to this Office Depot carries it in stores.
 
HRGiger,
That Elmer's gel you used reminds of the DiscoClean commercial formula that Dynacophil used. He devised a method of recycling it for re-use back in Post #90 on Page 6. Maybe this would work for you.
All best,
Mario
 
Back
Top Bottom