• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Worst Cover Songs of All Time

Cool_Manchu

Time to play B-sides...
I am well versed in cover tunes, many are good, heck even great, but that isn't what this thread is all about. This thread is about spewing hate! Tell about what cover songs you abhor and tell us why.

Let me start, and I promise to contribute more later...

Peter Gabriel - Strawberry Fields Forever
When did the legendary Peter Gabriel start huffing helium? Is he part Smurf? This has to be one of the worst in my opinion. It's from a fantastic musician on many different levels and a fantastic song by one of the greatest bands of all time. What does this combination give us? Sheer, utter horror. If you haven't heard his version, I don't suggest seeking it out, so I did it for you... I think it marred me for life. A true unmitigated disaster of a recording...

Listen at your own risk...
 
Register to hide this ad
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - William Shatner
My Sweet Lord - Eddie Arnold
Anything Michael Bolton covered :thumbsdn:
And my worst pick... Whitney Houston I Will Always Loved You... She took a wonderful song which was a Dolly Parton song, which was covered by Linda Ronstadt which was very nice, and totally butchered it! I mean, does she have to scream it? Plus it sold millions of copies! :screwy:
 
Time for Caddisgeek to get on his high horse. With total respect to the OP

Who cares, I dont get the whole thats a terrible cover, it's blasphemey line of thinking. If I wrote a song that someone went to the effort of recording and releasing I'd be stoked (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery). And if it went on to sell millions of copies (like Whitney Houstons version of I will aways love you), bring on the royalties!

Just my 2 cents

BTW another nice avatar coolmanchu, 1st shag now the supersuckers, you're my kinda dude!
 
I bought a CD once called "Golden Throats"- its a compilation of stuff by Shatner, Nimoy, Jack Webb croaking his way thru "Try a Little Tenderness, Mae West warbling something awful..Sebastian Cabot clearing his throat thru "It Ain't Me, Babe"...Its an absolute HOOT ! You gotta wonder WTF these byrds were THINKING...
 
The cover versions Elvis did of Hey Jude and Blowing in the wind

As a big Elvis fan I agree with you on that. I always skip "Hey Jude" when I play Elvis "Now" LP. Just a disaster that goes nowhere and verses rearranged. :puke:
 
Hi,

Tiffany/ I Think We're Alone Now is Barf-O-Matic. Horrible!
Agree about the Whitney Houston cover of Dolly Parton. It's an insult.
 
The pop songs of Peter Frampton covered by anyone. The original Baby I Love Your Way was marginal at best but the covers were awful.

Same for Billy Idol's cover of Mony Mony.
 
And my worst pick... Whitney Houston I Will Always Loved You... She took a wonderful song which was a Dolly Parton song, which was covered by Linda Ronstadt which was very nice, and totally butchered it! I mean, does she have to scream it? Plus it sold millions of copies! :screwy:

Another vote for this.

Dolly singing her own song was wonderful.

Linda Ronstadt's version is my favorite. I was really surprised to hear WH cover it and try to turn it into a "power ballad".

Another song simular to this case is Rod Stewart's cover of "Have I told you lately". When I hear people swoon about it, I alway's ask "Have you heard the original Van Morrison recording?" They always say no. My former neighbor's son and his wife had the RS version played for their "first dance" song at their wedding reception.......................thank goodness they had an open bar! :rolleyes:
 
So my next salvo is directed at Duran Duran. A great New Wave band, I truly dug them and still do dig them. However, this band should never, and I mean ever! cover another song by a rap band in any way shape or form....two songs that are classic in the rap genre' these are just skin crawling to me...


White Lines

911 is a Joke
 
p41200021sc0.jpg


WALL OF VOODOO
Wall of Voodoo

Index

Their version of Ring of Fire, while it has its own merits, sux.
 
Driving across a few states years ago, we played every cassette tape my sister had. One was by Dionne Warwick. I like several of her hit songs, but her pop music version of "Blowin' In The Wind" by Bob Dylan caused me to laugh out loud.
 
whats that scissors band that covered another brick in the wall..that was awful.

Are you talking about the Scissor Sisters "Comfortably Numb"...if you are then I agree...though I do like them...

My vote has to go to Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You. I don't get why today's female vocalist feel they need to scream and do gymnastics to enuncate every little sylable!!! IMHO it's like a cat screeching in the night or in heat...again it's just my oppinion. I can't stand all the Whitney/Mariah wannabes either...with their heeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyy...oooooooooooaaaaahhhhhhsssss.....Gosh someone pass them the oxygen tank or get them a speech therapist quick!
 
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - William Shatner
My Sweet Lord - Eddie Arnold
Anything Michael Bolton covered :thumbsdn:
And my worst pick... Whitney Houston I Will Always Loved You... She took a wonderful song which was a Dolly Parton song, which was covered by Linda Ronstadt which was very nice, and totally butchered it! I mean, does she have to scream it? Plus it sold millions of copies! :screwy:

4 Big Fat ouches there:yes: Dolly was on Oprah a long time ago and when her highness ask what do you think of Whitney's version getting so much airplay? Dolly The Goddess says " Love it, everytime I hear it, Ching Ching for me):thmbsp:

This is not for this thread but, at my memorial service I want Dolly,Linda & Emmylou covering Neil Youngs "After The Gold Rush" if their not:tears: that one out to get 'um good!! Back on topic folks:smoke:

Craig
 
Back
Top Bottom