• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Would like some info on a laserdisc/karaoke player

cfinchrist

God bless America.
I picked up a Pioneer CLD-V840 Laserdisc/CD/CD Video player. It sounds good as a CD player. What did these sell for? Any opinions or info? I paid 20 bucks for it. thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I remember them being for sale for around $480.00...and I mean "on sale." I have no idea what original price was. That being said...it is only worth about $30 to $40 bucks if mint.
 
find some laserdiscs. the picture quality spanks dvd. I have hundreds.
facepalm.gif
 
Someone paid $98 plus shipping for one recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-CLD-V84...CD-Player-Autorev-/200616099551#ht_1169wt_788

I am surprised that it went for so much, and would not expect that to happen again, but it could be that someone with an LD Karaoke collection needed a replacement for a failed player. It is not one of the more desirable LD players:

http://moesrealm.com/home-theater/guides/laserdisc-guide/

But it also isn't one of the worst either, as Pioneer players from the 1990's are generally good, and sometimes great (see article above).

Another one sold recently for $37.99 plus shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-CLD-V84...aultDomain_0&hash=item1c1d53dbc1#ht_500wt_952

And two are for sale right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-Laser-K...aultDomain_0&hash=item415bf0636b#ht_500wt_952

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-Laserdi...aultDomain_0&hash=item588eff75d3#ht_500wt_952

Anyway, if you have LDs to play, $20 for a 1990's Pioneer (with exceptions noted at the link above) that works is a good deal. But if you don't have any discs, I would not particularly recommend getting into it, unless you have an interest in some film or version of a film that was released on LD but not DVD or BD, which are both better formats for picture and sound.
 
Picture quality does not spank dvd...but a nicely mastered laserdisc played on a decent HD TV (especially a TV with a "weak signal" selection...or on a good standard def TV) is very enjoyable. Collecting these 12" discs isn't for everyone, but I sure love them!
 
Picked up another one of these in better condition. Using it as CD player right now and it sounds fantastic. The only CD players I have had in which I prefered the sound were a Kyocera and a Nakamichi. It was marked at $19.99 in a thrift store and I wouldn't have bought it for lack of need, but it was 75% off. That's right...5 bucks, and all of a sudden I needed it.
 
find some laserdiscs. the picture quality spanks dvd. I have hundreds.
facepalm.gif

I agree. I had an LD player that I got at an auction for $15 and used for years. The picture was nicer... less pixel-ish. The big issue was having to flip the disc half way through the movie.

If you look, you'll find LD's mixed in with records at the local thrift stores. Our local GW has a bunch at the moment.
 
Back
Top Bottom