• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Would like some testimonials on a few tables in the $300-$400 range

EinWindir

New Member
inb4, if there is an existing thread or a better place for this discussion to happen, please let me know.

Thanks to tax return season I'm ready to upgrade my current economy turntable (Teac TN100). I'm looking for a brand new table up to $400...perhaps slightly higher if something piques my interest. I have no specific needs beyond the pricepoint. (ie preamp is not a necessity).

Currently I am considering (based on personal research and suggestions from others):
Audio Technica LP120
Music Hall MMF2.2
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
U-Turn Orbit (with cart upgrade)
Teac 300N

Any input on these tables in particular would be greatly appreciated. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
 
Register to hide this ad
I had a five table a week habit. I would lie to my spouse about my table use. I told myself I could quit anytime. Then I started using needles. I went through my savings buying exotic cartridges, then I turned to credit cards.

But now it's one day at a time. And I can say I have not used a turntable today.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
What is the rest of your system as it stands. What kind of room have you got to work with. Having the best table on the block doesn't make your system sound better.
 
inb4, if there is an existing thread or a better place for this discussion to happen, please let me know.

Thanks to tax return season I'm ready to upgrade my current economy turntable (Teac TN100). I'm looking for a brand new table up to $400...perhaps slightly higher if something piques my interest. I have no specific needs beyond the pricepoint. (ie preamp is not a necessity).

Currently I am considering (based on personal research and suggestions from others):
Audio Technica LP120
Music Hall MMF2.2
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
U-Turn Orbit (with cart upgrade)
Teac 300N

Any input on these tables in particular would be greatly appreciated. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Your approach is wrong. Do not look at price first. Decide what features you want and sound quality you expect. Then look at tables which provide these features and sound. Then decide if you want to pay to get these features, or can skip some. That will give you a list of tables to choose from. It is possible that features you cannot miss and sound quality you want cannot be achieved for money you have on hands. In that case look where else you can save (possibly on other component) to allow budget increase. If still not enough, just drop idea of analog playback until you can afford it.
 
Your approach is wrong. Do not look at price first. Decide what features you want and sound quality you expect. Then look at tables which provide these features and sound. Then decide if you want to pay to get these features, or can skip some. That will give you a list of tables to choose from. It is possible that features you cannot miss and sound quality you want cannot be achieved for money you have on hands. In that case look where else you can save (possibly on other component) to allow budget increase. If still not enough, just drop idea of analog playback until you can afford it.

Nevermind..........

To the OP, I have a Project RM 1.3 that I have enjoyed for 3 years now. Looks great, was not a real expensive table, and sounds great...So, I vote project.
 
Last edited:
All the tables listed are entry level and the most rock solid pick of the bunch is the U-Turn Orbit, extensive positive reports here on AK from buyers, keep in mind it's entry level no frills simple reliable for the novice to own/operate and sounds better than it should for this price point. Also support and advice from U-Turn is top notch.
 
What is the rest of your system as it stands. What kind of room have you got to work with. Having the best table on the block doesn't make your system sound better.
Bare bones. I initially purchased what I needed at bare minimums. As a result I have a Teac TN100, a pair of Teac active desktop speakers (came with the table) and a little Lepai amp..which was purchased for no reason other than it's affordability and potential future use.

My goal was/is to have a system that can be gradually upgraded over time. First step is the turntable.

I prefer brand-new because I have a toddler, a baby on the way and an abnormal work schedule....as a result I don't have the time to go thrifting (as much as I enjoy it).
 
The Pro-ject s the pick of that bunch. Personally, if you want to go new, I'd start saving for an RP3 or better, depending on the rest of your system.
I appreciate your response. The RP3 is a pipedream for me. As much as I'd love to entertain the idea, dropping $800+ (at once) on a "hobby" just isn't feasible (see: wife)
 
Bare bones. I initially purchased what I needed at bare minimums. As a result I have a Teac TN100, a pair of Teac active desktop speakers (came with the table) and a little Lepai amp..which was purchased for no reason other than it's affordability and potential future use.

My goal was/is to have a system that can be gradually upgraded over time. First step is the turntable.

I prefer brand-new because I have a toddler, a baby on the way and an abnormal work schedule....as a result I don't have the time to go thrifting (as much as I enjoy it).

Have time to browse eBay?
A Kenwood KD -500 could be had for that kind of money, and many other great decks as well.
 
I appreciate your response. The RP3 is a pipedream for me. As much as I'd love to entertain the idea, dropping $800+ (at once) on a "hobby" just isn't feasible (see: wife)

Well, there is an RPM 1.3 demo on the 'Gon for $425......
 
Bare bones. I initially purchased what I needed at bare minimums. As a result I have a Teac TN100, a pair of Teac active desktop speakers (came with the table) and a little Lepai amp..which was purchased for no reason other than it's affordability and potential future use.

My goal was/is to have a system that can be gradually upgraded over time. First step is the turntable.

I prefer brand-new because I have a toddler, a baby on the way and an abnormal work schedule....as a result I don't have the time to go thrifting (as much as I enjoy it).
Since you don't have a phono input on your amp, you will have to budget for an external phono pre or your table search will be limited to models with a built-in preamp (but most of the models you listed have this, with the exceptions being the Music Hall, certain variants of the Pro-Ject, and the "base" version of the U-Turn).

The U-Turn has a certain appeal to me, mostly because of the service aspects and the origins of the company. But I'm sure any of these tables would work well for you.
 
Bare bones. I initially purchased what I needed at bare minimums. As a result I have a Teac TN100, a pair of Teac active desktop speakers (came with the table) and a little Lepai amp..which was purchased for no reason other than it's affordability and potential future use.

My goal was/is to have a system that can be gradually upgraded over time. First step is the turntable.

I prefer brand-new because I have a toddler, a baby on the way and an abnormal work schedule....as a result I don't have the time to go thrifting (as much as I enjoy it).


You do not need to do trifting to get used TT. Just use Audiogon web site. You can easily save 50% off retail buying several years old table.
 
To answer your question directly, I'd go with the U-Turn mainly because there are real people there for support. I bet they even answer the phone.
 
I appreciate your response. The RP3 is a pipedream for me. As much as I'd love to entertain the idea, dropping $800+ (at once) on a "hobby" just isn't feasible (see: wife)

Then this is not "hobby" yet for you. I strongly suggest to upgrade the rest of your gear first. Then get good digital player (oppo 103 will be ideal). That way you will get good sound quality at affordable price. TT should come LAST on the list of your purchases. Vinyl playback does not come cheap - you can get excellent sound from digital player for way less money. That is when the eest of your system fully satisfies you, then start thinking about LPs. Even cost of media favors digital. Just compare cost of high-res downloads and new LPs with the same performance. Most used LPs you can find cheap do not sound very good even on multi thousand dollars table (and I do have one). Set you priorities properly. You can build a decent digital system for $2000. But sound from $2000 turntable/cartridge combination (do not forget cost of cartridge when you allocate funds for TT) will not come even close in quality.
 
I'd beg to differ. I've enjoyed every one of my turntables and cartridges on the way to what I have now. for_p1, YOU might not be satisfied with anything less, but you've been down that road already, as have I. Let the OP make her/his own journey, it's part of the fun.

To EinWindr... I'd try out the line contact stylus upgrade from LP Gear coupled with a U Turn Orbit and AT-95E. That ought to be a darn nice combination that will keep you happy til you're ready to make the next big leap. For speakers and amp, watch your local Craigslist. You don't have to go with silverface vintage 70's stuff, as it's usually rather spendy as compared to some of the black 80's gear which goes for a quarter of the price and is pretty good...and will blow that Lepai out of the water. I have two Lepai amps, they're not worth much for listening. Good for background music...which is what mine are used for. One is on a pontoon boat, the other is in a portable Tiki bar. For about $150 you ought to be able to find quite an upgrade on the speakers and amp. $20 and they make noise, but that's about what they're worth.
 
Back
Top Bottom