• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Would Technics SL-Q2 would be considered as upgrade?

kachijs

New Member
Hello!

I have spent some time reading the difference between the models of SL1300-1500 and SL1600-1800 and those are very good TT, but they are out of my budget.

SL-Q2 model comes up a lot. Im currently rocking SL-QX300 wit ADC PSX 30. Would SL-Q2 would be considered as an upgrade to my current TT? I cant really tell..... different tonearm - yes , but the weight is fairly similar and looks are pretty much the same.

I upgraded speakers + pre amp (cambridge DUO) - so im looking if i can upgrade something in TT department.
 
Register to hide this ad
I would not go above 150 eur. Location - Germany. I have went through used market : https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/
I have found one option for Q2 - Dusk cover without broken tabs, hinges are fine, functions work. Needle is bent - down know how that happend. 100eur with shipping.
 
Hello!

I have spent some time reading the difference between the models of SL1300-1500 and SL1600-1800 and those are very good TT, but they are out of my budget.

SL-Q2 model comes up a lot. Im currently rocking SL-QX300 wit ADC PSX 30. Would SL-Q2 would be considered as an upgrade to my current TT? I cant really tell..... different tonearm - yes , but the weight is fairly similar and looks are pretty much the same.

I upgraded speakers + pre amp (cambridge DUO) - so im looking if i can upgrade something in TT department.

You have a very decent turntable and an excellent cartridge. The SL-QX300 has a suspended subchassis and almost always sounds better than the SL-Q2. Their build quality is fairly similar, these are not as heavy duty as the 1x00 series turntables.

The main advantage of SL-Q2 is that it allows you to use standard 1/2-inch mount cartridges, but a good cartridge alone would probably be out of your budget.
 
So it really would not make sense to switch to SL-Q2 ?

I have original ADC PSX30 cartridge with original needle. Bought it from here https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=116 (they had old stock) but it was 3 years ago.

Now i see that ADC needles are out of stock but they offer generic replacements:

All 116 needles are products of Audio Dynamics Corp.; 4116 needles are generic replacements.

What would that mean quality wise?

Can i use stylus from PSX40?
 
The SL Q2 is a fantastic, solid table. It was considered to be of good quality and still is. If you ever want to use a half-inch mount for cartridges, which gives you so many options, it’s worth buying. You could keep your P-mount one as well. I love my Q2. The first vintage table I bought getting back into vinyl and it’s still great.
 
You have a very decent turntable and an excellent cartridge. The SL-QX300 has a suspended subchassis and almost always sounds better than the SL-Q2. Their build quality is fairly similar, these are not as heavy duty as the 1x00 series turntables.

The main advantage of SL-Q2 is that it allows you to use standard 1/2-inch mount cartridges, but a good cartridge alone would probably be out of your budget.
You can get a decent cartridge for $60-$70. One of the AT95 type. Lots of even cheaper AT choices.
 
And it would be noticeably worse than the OP's ADC cart.
The point being that the ADC cart wouldn’t work on a half-inch shell without an adaptor. If something new and affordable was needed, there are choices. Someone told the OP that he couldn’t afford a half-inch cartridge.
 
The SL1200MK2, SL1210MK5 (which I own) were designed for the consumer, but ended up in clubs because of the quick to speed response, durability and ease of set-up, but just as functional at home. I also have the SL-Q2. Its a fine deck (semi-auto) with arm return.
 
The SL1200MK2, SL1210MK5 (which I own) were designed for the consumer, but ended up in clubs because of the quick to speed response, durability and ease of set-up, but just as functional at home. I also have the SL-Q2. Its a fine deck (semi-auto) with arm return.

Well, if you look at period-corrects ads for the SL-1200 mk2, it's obvious that at least some thought was given to its use as a DJ deck.

Anyway, the SL-M1 is definitely a better turntable than the SL-Q2. I believe it even uses the same motherboard as the SL-1200 mk2.

A0B1563A-7ACC-413B-ADD8-B58D5CB799F5.jpeg
 
Last edited:
The Sl-Q2 is a good table. I have mine wall mounted to reduce floor bounce, though never had a problem with it jumping grooves. The auto return is a nice feature, Speed control has never been a problem and tone arm adjustments are simple. It makes dollar sense if you want to get into technics S-arms tables in the $100-150 Range. That M1 also sounds like a good move
 
Well, if you look at period-corrects ads for the SL-1200 mk2, it's obvious that at least some thought was given to its use as a DJ deck.

Anyway, the SL-M1 is definitely a better turntable than the SL-Q2. I believe it even uses the same motherboard as the SL-1200 mk2.

View attachment 2349026

Where is the date of the ad? My mk2 is from 2007, plenty of time to address both markets. At the time, the club market was small, the consumer market was large.
 
Where is the date of the ad? My mk2 is from 2007, plenty of time to address both markets. At the time, the club market was small, the consumer market was large.

I'm not sure what exactly is the date, but probably pre-CD since it mentions broadcast applications more than once (most radio stations decommissioned their analog rigs by early 90s).
 
Back
Top Bottom