• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Would you be as enthusiastic about the audio hobby if streaming disappeared?

I would not be any less enthusiastic about music if streaming disappeared, but I sure would miss it.

It is my primary source for finding new and new-to-me music (this includes 2 subscription services plus various internet radio streams). I have a very large collection of LPs and of digital music on hard drive, but I would not want to be limited to it.

When I first realized how much music means to me, FM radio was in its heyday, and served as a great resource for discovering new/new-to-me music. Most of that is gone now, other than a couple of 1 or 2 hour specialty shows on public radio.
 
I would think that for those who listen only to their old LP and cassette collections, the answer is a definitive "yes".
 
What a great question!!

For me, it would be catastrophic if streaming disappeared. I have 500+ CD's (and would probably have more by now if I didn't have streaming for the last decade or so), but I get tired of listening to the same albums no matter how much I love them. I've discovered a ton more music streaming, and the variety of different music is a million times better than albums where I know the track order by heat (even though I love those albums). I'm a lifelong audio and music enthusiast, but it's definitely "music first" and audio is the means to best enjoy that music. I've only touched a handful of my CD's in the past several years, and only on very rare occasions.

Pandora is only 128kbps, but the variety you get with it is amazing -- the "Jim Hall" Pandora channel (ultra laid back legit jazz) can't be beat for dinner background music, the "Willie Nelson" channel should be called "country that doesn't suck :)", the "Miles Davis" channel is great! Then there's creating playlists on Spotify and randomizing lists once you've created them. I have all of these options in the car wirelessly with CarPlay. I can't imagine living without streaming now.

I never thought about it before, but the variety of music and the easy access to all of it via streaming is what has kicked my interest in audio back up to max level for the past many years :thumbsup:. I'm honestly shocked that so many here don't use streaming at all :eek::(:dunno:.
 
I never thought about it before, but the variety of music and the easy access to all of it via streaming is what has kicked my interest in audio back up to max level for the past many years :thumbsup:. I'm honestly shocked that so many here don't use streaming at all :eek::(:dunno:.


I use streaming, but. Mostly when I am in the car. I do not listen to it for critical listening.

I listen to CD’s that are ripped to a music server and vinyl. I like the music I have and I also am on the lookout for new (to me) vinyl and CDs. But I don’t listen to music solely for the sake of endless variety, especially if I do not like it.
 
Most of my listening time is looking for new music. Found a band today from Argentina that I really like. Paid for a download that I will probably never use, since I don't have any files at all.
Using the internet for searching music out has been spectacular. I have a premium Spotify subscription but have only used it a few times.
I don't know if places like Bandcamp and Mixcloud count as streaming, but without those two, I would have to rely on AK playlists and other recommendations.
 
streaming will introduce you to music you've never heard and will like

Streaming opened up a giant new window on the music world for me

huge difference maker for me

I must admit I missed some good music

finding new artists

FM by me is pretty lame

Satellite has options but loops like regular fm

exploring for new music, or albums by Artists not in my collection

None of these are debatable. Without streaming, or using the internet (same thing?) you are by choice limiting your musical enjoyment.
 
Without streaming i would never discovered all those great bands i love so much. I do play cd’s but i stream 99 percent of the music i listen to. I use Apple Music which has everything in 16 bit 44khz or higher. I hear no difference between Apple Music and cd’s
 
what do you mean, almost?

As in "seemingly".

So who here is actually ready to profess with pride and conviction that you don't and never will stream music?

You know, I really didn't want this thread to turn into this, but what the hell. Let's go.
 
None of these are debatable. Without streaming, or using the internet (same thing?) you are by choice limiting your musical enjoyment.

while it may limit your musical enjoyment, one could argue that it also keeps you from having to separate the wheat from the chaff.
 
while it may limit your musical enjoyment, one could argue that it also keeps you from having to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Yeah that's true. One could also say that's all part of the fun, there's no way that you can hear a great song for the first time without hearing some you don't really care for. True with lots of things, the wheat analogy a good one. Gotta try a food to see if you like it. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom