• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Yamaha B2 vs Bryston 3BSST

belgianbrain

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
It was high time I did this proper match-up again. I'd done it previously, but much has changed since.

My collection has been growing over the years into two very serious setups. While I started rebuilding Yamaha vintage gear a few years ago to afford my way into high-end audio, Schiit has recently captured my attention for having some ridiculously good new gear at reasonable prices, and even more reasonable when you buy used. So I'm lucky enough to have the following two systems:

1. Schiit Yggdrasil -> Schiit Freya -> Bryston 3BSST -> Yamaha NS-1000M with Troels Gravesen Crossover

2. Modified and upgraded Adcom GA-600 -> Yamaha CX1000 -> Yamaha B2 -> Yamaha NS-1000M original Xover (but new caps)

The Yggdrasil is my end game DAC. I've given up looking for DAC improvements.

The Freya is my end game preamp. I've given up looking for preamp improvements.

The NS-1000M is my end game speaker because I'm not spending thousands on speakers that might not sound as good.

So, it was time to swap the B2 into system #1 to see how it compared.

The verdict? I can't tell the difference between the Yamaha B2 and the Bryston 3BSST! If pressed, I'd say the Yamaha may have slightly better treble while the Bryston probably wins on the bass. But, we're splitting hairs now.

The B2 is really that good. And it looks so much better than the Bryston. :)

I thought the Yamaha folk here would appreciate this.
 
Register to hide this ad
So...I have done a little more messing around. The Bryston was always plugged directly into my special 20Amp outlet since it has a 12V triggered on/off control. When trying the B2, I plugged it into my SurgeX power conditioner, which has an inductive noise filter. Yes, I know, inductive noise filters are not recommended for power amps.

So...I tried again with the B2 plugged straight into that 20Amp outlet and the B2 performance definitely improved.

I think the B2 may actually be better than the Bryston. As I said before, they're damned close - but the B2 really shines in treble and in low volume performance. It's a little surprising considering the B2 is almost 30 years older.

I'm leaving it in my main system for awhile. :banana:

Pictures attached since :needpics:

An awesome mix of new and circa 1977 (coincidentally, the year I was born).

IMG_20170123_183656.jpg IMG_20170123_183751.jpg
IMG_20170104_141656.jpg IMG_20170104_141043.jpg
 
Last edited:
The Yamaha is superb, but the Bryston in the long run is the amplifier to own as it is a "Rest Of Your Life" amplifier. Bryston will keep parts longer, the warranty and support is the best. I love both, but if I were to own one Non-McIntosh amplifier as a daily driver, it would be a Bryston. And I am a major fanatic of Yamaha separates.
 
Outside of cosmetics, virtually all meters are useless because they are calibrated for 8 ohms. Speaker impedance varies with frequency. Look @ Stereophiles spkr impedance graphs.
 
Altho I've owned several Yammys & am pleased by their performance, I'd opt for Bryston for the 20 yr warranty & their reliability.
 
As you'll see in another thread, I did some work on my B2 to improve the sound by removing some old switches and pots from the input signal path. Old electronics always need some refurbishment, and the golden question is always what needs to be done to bring it back to like new operating condition.

The obvious stuff had been done to this amp: all new electrolytics, some new transistors, new compound on the heatsinks and transistors, bournes multi-turn adjustment pots, all adjustments done, etc. Now we also have a new signal path straight to the driver boards.

I'm afraid it's no contest now. The Bryston has fallen to the B2.

I always suspected it should. :D
 
"I'm afraid it's no contest now. The Bryston has fallen to the B2."

Not when reliability is factored in. I have no dog in this fight.
 
"I'm afraid it's no contest now. The Bryston has fallen to the B2."

Not when reliability is factored in. I have no dog in this fight.

How is the B-2 not reliable? They have the same issues all 40 year old equipment have which Bryston gear will eventually have. Replace the electrolytic caps and a few suspect semi's, adjust properly and they are good for several more decades.
 
I am asking for a picture of the amp - I know the manufacturer and auditioned an amp once. Preferred the Yamaha M2
 
Back
Top Bottom