• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha B2 vs Bryston 3BSST

How is the B-2 not reliable? They have the same issues all 40 year old equipment have which Bryston gear will eventually have. Replace the electrolytic caps and a few suspect semi's, adjust properly and they are good for several more decades.
Was there a 20 yr warranty on the B-2s? I didn't think so.
 
Hello

Was there a 20 yr warranty on the B-2s? I didn't think so.

I don't care about a 20 years warranty on any equipment .

Everything depend of the way you are using it
 
Was there a 20 yr warranty on the B-2s? I didn't think so.

A warranty is not reliability.

Warranty - a promise from the manufacturer to provide repairs for a defective part
Reliability - will it continue to function without breaking

An amplifier that still works 40 years after it was manufactured is reliable. Both of my B-2's functioned nicely when I purchased them and I'm only replacing components as preventative maintenance to protect the irreplaceable V-Fets.
 
I'd bet the B-2s crap out sooner than the 3B SST.

Mine are still working at 40 plus years just fine. 3BST's still have about 20 years to go before they can hang with that, and by then mine will be happily making music at 60. Perhaps Yamaha didn't offer a 20 year warranty because it wasn't necessary?

Also Bryston doesn't use unobtainium parts & doesn't require Yammy like TLC.

Let's see how many parts can be replaced on a 3BST in 20 years. We lose more and more through hole components every day. You can always put some semiconductors away now, but the right electrolytic caps to keep it running may be just as unobtanium as a V-Fet.

Anyhow I'm out of this childish conversation that is an unfortunate distraction from an otherwise very good and informative thread.
 
Mine are still working at 40 plus years just fine. 3BST's still have about 20 years to go before they can hang with that, and by then mine will be happily making music at 60. Perhaps Yamaha didn't offer a 20 year warranty because it wasn't necessary?



Let's see how many parts can be replaced on a 3BST in 20 years. We lose more and more through hole components every day. You can always put some semiconductors away now, but the right electrolytic caps to keep it running may be just as unobtanium as a V-Fet.

Anyhow I'm out of this childish conversation that is an unfortunate distraction from an otherwise very good and informative thread.
Is that a definite maybe?
 
IMO, leaving a SS pwr amp & preamp on 24/7 lengthens their life. Tube preamps might benefit too, tho I wouldn't bet the bodega on it.
Have you ever heard or even seen a B-2? For that matter, have you heard the Bryston? If the answer to either of those questions is no, then your input on this thread means squat.
Brystons are superb, but they are not the only game in town. Better to use your time by actually listening to great components than waste your time arguing about that of which one is ignorant.
 
Was there a 20 yr warranty on the B-2s? I didn't think so.
Is this argument for real:idea:

I can draw a parallel to the car industry here:
Hyundai offers/ offered a 10 year on their cars in order to increase market share and brand recognition. Does that make it better than a Lexus??? Lexus only has a few years warranty...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom