• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha ca-800 function switch popping

s.gils676

New Member
I have had an issue where turning on my yamaha ca-800 it may not produce sound but when I turn the function switch it produces a pop in the speakers and from there everything sounds great. It may also be that one side is producing sound and by turning the function knob til it pops fixing the issue. This is generally only on system boot up and doesn't become a problem otherwise. I have cleaned the hell out of the switch with deoxit f5 which has loosened up the switch but done nothing for the problem at hand. I am assuming that what is needed is a recap on the function board but I wanted some information if anyone has had a similar issue. Thanks!!
 
Register to hide this ad
I am assuming that what is needed is a recap on the function board but I wanted some information if anyone has had a similar issue.
Likely the function switch needs to be removed, disassembled and properly cleaned. Could also be a solder connection on the switch itself or somewhere on the same circuit board. . Capacitors don't cause these type of issues.
 
A fouled protect relay contact would also produce a loud pop then start working properly. Next time it occurs. Tap on the relay located on the power supply board beneath the function board. Access through the bottom panel.
 
Last edited:
A fouled protect relay contact would also produce a loud pop then start working properly. Next time it occurs. Tap on the relay located on the power supply board beneath the function board. Access through the bottom panel.
Could you explain this a little more? How would I be able to determine the efficiency of the relay. The function knob will always pop when I turn it.
 
A fouled protect relay contact would also produce a loud pop then start working properly. Next time it occurs. Tap on the relay located on the power supply board beneath the function board. Access through the bottom panel.
I just did some further investigation. Phono 1 seems to be the culprit as the popping occurs when switching on or off that mode causes a pop. The volume of the pop also corresponds to the respective volume level of the stereo. Lastly, and most importantly. I realized that when left in phono 1 the tape and mode switches will also pop?!?!?! This makes me think it might not be a dirty function switch? Kinda clueless let me know thanks!
 
What is the history of this unit? Is it new to you?

What this needs is a complete cleaning of all switches and controls. And most should be unsoldered from the board dismantled and cleaned properly as Avionic stated earlier.

Replacing the relay is usually standard procedure as well.

And Welcome to AK!!!

Athanasios
 
What is the history of this unit? Is it new to you?

What this needs is a complete cleaning of all switches and controls. And most should be unsoldered from the board dismantled and cleaned properly as Avionic stated earlier.

Replacing the relay is usually standard procedure as well.

And Welcome to AK!!!

Athanasios
This was a stereo i got off marketplace from the original owner. Said he barely used it but seemed to be a smoker so the unit was fairly dirty. I've done basic cleaning with ipa and deoxit it. I was kinda hoping that this would solve my issues but I am going to have to accept it needs more love. I don't even currently own a soldering machine so I feel like progress is going to have to be put on hold til I can get done with my summer semester and work enough to get the supplies. Thank you! I am loving AK!
 
… so I feel like progress is going to have to be put on hold til I can get done with my summer semester and work enough to get the supplies. Thank you! I am loving AK!
No problem … we’ve all been there, we’re ready whenever you are. Welcome to the forum.
 
Back
Top Bottom