• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha M50 Smoke - Help...

@avionic: Thank you SO much! I got the replacement safety cap in and the M50/C50 is singing wonderfully in my office <pic below>. A few more questions, please:
- I broke the plastic clips that hold the plastic sheet that separates the board in question from the transformer, stripped a screw or two from bottom cover, and need to re-secure the tiny plastic bolt/nut combo. Where might I buy those bits? <pic below>
- is there any special M-50 trick to replacing the bulb or flipping over to LED for the burned out amp power switch light? I've replaced same on an A1
- what is your preferred method to clean up the face place of the amp without damaging same ? It's kind of a fingerprint-y(?) mess in right light.
- as i have the amp opened up are their any preventative maintenance or cleaning steps you like to do? It is a small bit dusty.

Thank you again!
. M50 parts_pic_2_1_16_2022.jpg M50_C50_pic 1_16_2022.jpg
 
what is your preferred method to clean up the face place of the amp without damaging same ? It's kind of a fingerprint-y(?) mess in right light.
Magic eraser -warm water with a couple drops of Dawn.. Elbow grease...
 

avionic:
I have the US model M-50. C607 per manual is 0.22 mfd @ 250V. My installed C607 measured 0.2 mfd @ 125V (?). Marking on cap 104M AC125V ECQ-UC D. I can not find a datesheet on this cap to verfy voltage. Also C611 per manual is 0.068 mfd @ 450 V. Installed read 0.088mfd @ 125V (?). Marking on cap 224M AC125V ECQ-UC D. Again, can't find datasheet.
I take the AC125V as 125 volts ac. I'm thinking these two caps need higher voltage rating. What do you think? My M-50 is dead. First thing found is blown 12a fuse. Replaced with 10a and started checking voltages per manual. No voltage and no lights. I have checked the 3 SCR they are good. I am going to check output trans now. Thanks
 
Last edited:
Marking on cap 104M AC125V ECQ-UC D.
I can not find a datesheet on this cap to verfy voltage.
The voltage is on the cap.. 125V
104 ---> .1µf
M ---> +/- 20% tolerance

Marking on cap 224M AC125V ECQ-UC D
224 ---> .22µf
M -- +/- 20%
I take the AC125V as 125 volts ac. I'm thinking these two caps need higher voltage rating. What do you think?

Look at the M-50 parts list page 11 in the service manual for C607 and 611...

Market code U & C uses the 125v cap
U -- USA
C -- Canada
 
I was looking at the schematic diagram for my value of caps and voltage levels and not the parts list. The C611 for UC in the parts list is 0.1 mfd @ 630V ac. The cap value on the schematic 0.068 mfd is for the R,A,G,B. As found per cap reader was 0.088 mfd which is a value near the R,A,G,G machine but with the 125v rating. Looks like per the parts list this should be a metalized mylar 0.1 mfd @ 630V ac. Thanks for pointing out to me the schematic does not show the different built machine component values only the parts list will do this. GOOD LESSON! THANKS!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom