• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha MX1 Amp Opinions...Is it worth Having?

GlobalWarming

Super Member
Hello!

I have looked at the Yamaha MX1 and I would like to hear opinions about. Supposedly it was the last 2 channel amp from Yamaha....

I am looking to power a pair of Infinity Kappas 7.1 with it..

Is it worth having, and what is the going price for it?

How does it compare to the MX1000?

Please help,

Thanks!

Nel
 
Register to hide this ad
I had a Yamaha Natural Sound power amp for years. I forget the model but it was well made and sounded great...
 
Sorry that I forgot to specify.......

I was referring to the old days.
I am aware of the the new Yamaha AS-2000. I have seen it here in Hamburg and it is even more beautiful when seen Live.
A little too expensive for me right now; all I can do is look at it at the store and drool....

I am new here and I am trying to get some info, so that I keep the buying mistakes to a minimum.........
 
The MX-1 is an excellent amp. While the MX-1 is not quite as powerful as the MX-1000 the quality is every bit as good. The A-S2000 is an integrated amp, not a power amp like the MX-1 and MX-1000. The last 2 channel power amp produced by Yamaha was the 500wpc Class D MX-D1.
 
I recently did a check-and-clean service on an MX-1. The amp is extremely well built, and the sound is definitely worth the $500 or so they have been bringing on the market recently.
 
Sorry that I forgot to specify.......

I was referring to the old days.
I am aware of the the new Yamaha AS-2000. I have seen it here in Hamburg and it is even more beautiful when seen Live.
A little too expensive for me right now; all I can do is look at it at the store and drool....

I am new here and I am trying to get some info, so that I keep the buying mistakes to a minimum.........

You can ask the store if you can listen to it, thats what its for isn't it? (the store & the amp) I always got away with 'having it over for a weekend'
 
Hello....

I was referring to the old Yamaha MX1, Not the new amps. I wanted to hear the opinions of people familiar with them.
 
I had the MX1 and CX1 pre-amp.

Clean, transparent with gobs of power. The amp was dual mono, with good high quality audiophile parts. It had a 3/8" thick bottom plate to add to the weight, which was kinda hokey.
It ran class A for a couple few watts or something...

It wasn't a very good match with Klipsch Chorus II's, cold hard and brought on fatigue......got rid of the speakers....and the the amp and pre too.

But I really, really wished I hadn't let go of that MX-1. One of the dumber things I have done with respect to audio.
 
I had the MX1 and CX1 pre-amp......

It had a 3/8" thick bottom plate to add to the weight, which was kinda hokey......
There's a reason for that thick base plate, and it isn't to increase the weight to impress the Rubes:

"HEAVY-DUTY TOP-ART BASE
To support these heavy components and prevent vibration and resonance, Yamaha has a special base inside the chassis. It has a double panel structure, each 1.6mm thick, and the MX-1 adds extra damping material between the two panels."

Here's a link to a graph on TVK of the power output.
 
I have an MX-1, and it is a serious audiophile quality stereo amp. I would say it was the last "high power" non-digital stereo amp that Yamaha made. They made a super high power MX-D1 digital amp, but I believe it was discontinued a few years ago.

My MX-1 sounds awesome with my lesser quality Infinity SM-122 speakers, and I am sure they would really shine with your Kappas. I cannot speak audiophile/stereophile, but I can say that this amp has all the power and control that you can expect from a high end musically focused amp.
 
Thanks a lot for all the info........

One more thing......Is the MX1 good below 4 ohms? 2 ohms? 1 ohm?

Would it be enough power for the Renaissance 80, 90 speakers? Specially if I use two MX1 to bi-amp them?

Or would I be better off with the MX1000?

Which amp is stronger at the lower end? I mean, 4 0hms or less?

Thanks again!
 
The MX-1 has a RMS rating into 2 ohms 20Hz to 20kHz (see post #10 above for a link to the MX-1 power graph on The Vintage Knob). The MX-1000 is not rated RMS into 2 ohms. The MX-1000 does have a dynamic power rating down to 1 ohm, but I give little credence to dynamic power ratings.
 
Mark,

thanks a lot for clarifying this for me.......What you are telling me makes sense.......
I was not familiar and was not sure on how to read these amp ratings..... Now I have a better idea.....

For the price, I think Yamaha makes some incredible equipment.......They also make some really good musical intruments, so I get one bleeds into the other...
 
Here's some empirical evidence from AK'er dartman pl running Ren 90's with an MX-1000. link to post

While I'd prefer using an MX-1, MX-1000's are much easier to find.
 
Sometimes you just get lucky

I went pawn shop trolling today and found a MX-1 for just $125. I suspected it might have problems but the shop had a money back guarantee so I brought it home. It checked out healthy on my bench so i plugged it into my system. Wow, what a great amp! I spent several years working for a high end amplifier manufacturer and have heard the best of the best. This one is in the same league!
 
I went pawn shop trolling today and found a MX-1 for just $125. I suspected it might have problems but the shop had a money back guarantee so I brought it home. It checked out healthy on my bench so i plugged it into my system. Wow, what a great amp! I spent several years working for a high end amplifier manufacturer and have heard the best of the best. This one is in the same league!
Congratulations, that's a small fraction of what an MX-1 is worth. IMO it's one of the best amps Yamaha ever made.
 
Thanks, Mark. I've heard my Paragon Regents on everything up to and including Rowland Model 9's and this Yamaha stacks up very well.
 
This was a good read thread.I have an MX-1 which I got for $30 from a pawn shop.Unfortunately it powers on but no output.It is next on my to do list to have repaired.(seriously).I plan on picking up a c-50 pre-amp from the same store for $38.Along with a Sansui tu-717 it is going to be my most powerful setup and perhaps the best sounding.
 
Back
Top Bottom