• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha P2200 Humming

Skylape

New Member
I recently got a Yamaha P2200 from a friend and it got an annoying hum right around 60% volume. After reading some of the comments, I decided to open the amp and try to replace all the cap. I am currently looking at the Drive Stage Board and I noticed a lot of unidentifiable capacitor. My question is how important is replacing all of these tiny capacitor? and if so, what is the method to identify it? Also, is there anything else I could do to improve the sound quality of my amplifier?
 
Register to hide this ad
If the hum is present in both channels. I recommend looking at the power supply first. It would be common to both channels. What impedance are your speakers?
 
My Preamp/Sound card are Asus Xonar STX and I hook it up to a dbx go Rack. The following attachment is my speaker impedance. It said the impedance is 4-8ohm.
 

Attachments

  • 1550373689327.JPEG
    1550373689327.JPEG
    50 KB · Views: 24
Might want to determine if it is your source first by trying a different one, before tearing into it. One test is to short the inputs of the P-2200 and then turn the attenuators up. best to monitor the o/p's with a scope (your eyes) when doing these tests.

I have 2 of them in for service right now, they are solid units. I will test the big ecaps, will leave the original ecaps in, since the owner was not too concerned about changing them. Check bias, offset. The original binding posts are junk and all need changing.
 
Might want to determine if it is your source first by trying a different one, before tearing into it. One test is to short the inputs of the P-2200 and then turn the attenuators up. best to monitor the o/p's with a scope (your eyes) when doing these tests.

I have 2 of them in for service right now, they are solid units. I will test the big ecaps, will leave the original ecaps in, since the owner was not too concerned about changing them. Check bias, offset. The original binding posts are junk and all need changing.
Im pretty sure it is the amp because it's still hump even when I remove the amp from the source. Only if I disconnect the input cable completely, the amp stops humping. Also can you elaborate more, Im pretty new to this.
 
For removing the source, I just unplug the cable from the go.Rack and keep the other end plug in the amplifier. I also use balance XLR.
 
Back
Top Bottom