• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Yamaha PF-800

Jpete9

Active Member
I am looking to update to update my turntable. I am hoping to finish fixing a Yamaha CR1040 and pair with this...and start looking for speakers next.

I have found a Yamaha PF 800 in good nick, original cart.

I am cautious about getting something too complicated, but i am kinda keen (for no practical reason) to get yamaha.

Are the tone arms on these too complex/risky? I assume part are super rare?

Are they worth spending a bit of extra money on - eg is it a significant upgrade from my Pioneer PL117d

Anything else worth knowing about them?
 
Register to hide this ad
I've got no experience with the Yamaha, but here's my two cents anyway - if the tonearm is in good condition and works as it should, I wouldn't worry about it.

The Yamaha PF-800 *should* be quite a leap from the Pioneer PL-117D - whether or not that's significant for you depends on your standards and the abilities of the rest of your system.
 
Thanks, i intend on building a system that i like. Starting with the CR1040 if i can fix it (otherwise I will find another vintage integrated). With the new TT i will start my hunt for nice speakers...likely yamaha...but we'll see.

Pretty cautious about buying something old that needs fixing that i will never get parts for (i got a few things like that now).

Appreciate any buying tips for these TTs - what to look for in terms of wear and plays etc. Listening will be tricky, it will be demoed on some one elses system.
 
Do you have a lead on one already? I imagine sourcing one down could be an issue.

It'll be a nice table, but I'd be apprehensive about finding parts for it if anything does break. Something like a Thorens, or a Linn would be a fantastic upgrade, and could be had for around the same price (the Linn could be a stretch). Also, parts are relatively easy to come by, and there is a wealth of knowledge out there for them.
 
Last edited:
Yep I have a lead on one :) But i also gave a lead on a YP800 - but it costs more - but it does have a nice 70s feel - the PF800 is decidedly 80s. If i buy both i will surely be divorced :(
 
The Yamaha PF-800 is quite an upgrade over the Pioneer PL-117D, as evidenced by the much better specifications:

Wow and flutter: Pioneer PL-117D 0.07% WRMS, Yamaha PF-800 0.028%; winner Yamaha
Signal to noise ratio: Pioneer 63dB, Yamaha 80dB; winner Yamaha (17dB difference means the Pioneer is almost 4 times noisier than the Yamaha!)
Weight: Pioneer 7kg, Yamaha 13kg; winner Yamaha
Automation: Pioneer fully automatic, Yamaha non-contact (optically tripped) auto-stop; winner Pioneer (although the Yamaha has the advantage of an optical sensor that trips the auto-stop, whereas the Pioneer’s auto-return is tripped mechanically)
Year of introduction: Pioneer 1976, Yamaha mid-80’s (not sure of exact year); winner Yamaha (newer)

So the Yamaha wins on almost everything, except for the fully automatic operation of the Pioneer. However, the Pioneer is more a DIY turntable that’s relatively simple to maintain.

The Yamaha tonearm isn’t more complicated than the Pioneer’s – just different. It’s a rather strange design due to the twin pipe structure, which apparently resulted in slightly better stereo separation for any particular cartridge.

I’d expect the Yamaha to be significantly better sounding, as it weighed more, was much quieter, and the speed variation (wow and flutter) was more than twice as good. So it’s quite a lot better – something that mainly reflected an extra decade of research and development between when they were introduced.
 
Last edited:
Given the choice between the PF-800 and YP-800, I think the PF-800 would probably be the better turntable, though YP-800 might be more of a looker (depending on your taste...)

It was their top-of-the-line effort back then (in foreign markets at least) so it should be a very worthy table and if the price is right, a good buy.
 
Thanks for the detailed advice, i really want the PF800. I will inspect it today and if its good enough i will grab it! Its hard to see much but it looks neat from this one photo

$_75.JPG
 
I really love the looks of those PF800's. There's one for sale close to me and I'm having a very hard time resisting, even though I love my Rega and can't imagine the Yammie could *sound* that much better...but it sure is a sexy table.
 
+1 for the Yamaha PF-800. Have one. Love it. Sounds every bit as good as my VPI Traveler if not better with the advantage of fluid auto lift. Very quiet and well built table. Works like a champ.
 
I have two of these beauties. The tonearm is lots of plastic. The downforce adjustment assembly sometimes breaks. But, contrary to a post in another thread this damage can be repaired. With a cheap screw it can easily be fixed.
 
I bought it! Got it home and will play it tomorrow. Its quite nice and i can see the some of the big differences between it and my old pioneer - its silent!

Its a fine example and i am very happy to own it. But as always now i have bought the nice table, i am going to need a nicer rack and since i have a nicer rack i will need nicer speakers and since i got nicer speakers i will need speaker wire and 30yo scotch and new vinyl - i cant see it making me more popular at home, but i like it :)
 
Can't wait to read ur review. A guy about 5hrs away is selling a PF-1000 for $1500. It'd be nice but I'm thinking that's a little high on the price.
 
Congrats on your acquisition. Its' a fine TT. I have its big brother the PF-1000 that I bought new in the mid-1980s. It's quiet and has a great sound. I'm using mine with a Dynavector 10x5 HOMC. Having the autolift at the end is also very convenient. Something my Clearaudio Ovation doesn't even have

Hopefully you won't experience any of these but typically the only issues are that the belts can stretch out and the cueing becomes too fast because the fluid leaks out over time. Belts are readily available. I've got a post under the PF-1000 that describes how to replace the cueing fluid if that ever becomes necessary.

The only other issues I had was some easily replaceable leaking capacitors on the power supply board and last year, a cueing failure. It turned out to be the switch, which is an ALPS SPPJ223200 and is available from Mouser. As I said, hopefully you won't experience any of these but now you know.

Good luck with it. It is a fine table that I'm sure that you will enjoy.
 
2 questions:

1. I have the sudden drop cueing issue - it drops quickly and bounces. Where exactly do you put the oil, next to the silver shaft that the platform screws into?

2. since i will be keeping this until i dont like records anymore i am keen to get an alternate high end cart for it, without over reaching and finding he pointing rapidly diminishing returns. What is considered the ideal cart for this table - do i go for MC or MM? (yes my amps support both)

3. what s this cart on it? Guy i bought it off said it wad the original? But ortofon is the only one i can find online marked gt? I think its a crappy ebay knock off one?

4. How do you remove the headshell - this one is very stuck. I removed the screw on the side but it doesnt just slide out...is there a special trick?

206ed69.jpg
 
Last edited:
1. Remove the tonearm. This is an easy job. Just remove the 3 allen screws which hold the top plate. Next disconnect both cables and the ground pin. Remove the lift bank (the screw at the top). At the bottom there is a screw accessible from the side. When you remove this screw you can remove the rest of the assembly and pull out the cylinder. Clean it and give it new silicone (if the viscosity is too high rising the arm may take a few seconds, I used 100.000). Reassemble, done.

2. The arm is not very rigid. I was not very happy with my low compliance DV20II (MC). It sounded rather lifeless and dull with this tonearm. I would recommend a good MM cartridge like the Audio Technica AT 440ML or AT 150MLX.
 
thanks i will tackle it today. its very annoying with no cuing...i will do some reseach on the cart for this table...keen to hear any opinions. The AT95e from old table will go on today.
 
Back
Top Bottom